Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
lol!!!!
Glad someone got the joke.....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 03-20-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
POTUS just tore a lefty reporter in the press conference a new A-xxxx for sensationalizing and causing panic. POTUS really laid into him in...218 dead and mass-hysteria, the Lefty media should be put on one of those cruise ships that are empty now and dumped in the middle of the pacific.
This "emergency" is mostly man-made. If the MSM didn't sensationalize it in an attempt to diss Trump, no states would have jumped onboard and added to the sensationalization.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 03-20-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns90 View Post
I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight, but statements like these are extremely alarming to people in my health status. I wish more people would be a little more aware of that.
I think this is worthy of a little exploration.... I'm assuming from your statment thst you are at higher risk. The solution is not the government, in direct violation of the US Constitution, issuing blanket, mandatory stay home "orders'. The solution, lies in you, as GAM, knowing your risk, and taking steps to mitigate that risk.

This is more critical given the specifics of this event- 85% of those who contract it will have no to mild symptoms, or at worst slightly moderate symptoms, oftentimes mistaken for flu or comm9n cold, which will abate in a couple days. No medical treatment is needed or sought, no tesing is done...
Without testing, Striker will have no idea what he actually had- its a guess. The number of known cases in the US surgeed almost overnight, ffor 3k to 16k- with the availability of testing. Its reasonable to presume that we can multiple by a factor of 5x to ger a more realistic number of cases.... there are probably 10s of thousands of asymptomatic people out and about.

Bottom line- if you're at elevated risk, its on you to manage that risk, and limit your exposure.
Correct and I'm not going to tie up resources or expose people if I don't need to. As mentioned I'm not in any contact with anyone since based on how I usually react this was something abnormal and it's better to just sit for a while
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 03-20-2020, 08:35 PM

All is ask is that the post office continue to deliver:

- scale models
- cigars
- my SS check

- Montesquieu
Old 03-20-2020, 08:36 PM

Five Thousand deaths in Europe so far.

11,000 worldwide

Italy just recorded 627 dead in ONE DAY.

This is no overreaction. The drastic measures being put in place are an attempt to slow the exponential increases that we are seeing.

This alarm is not being invented by The Liberals or The Media or The Politicians. It's from the experts in the spread of communicable disease, now & throughout history.

Plus the top medical experts who know WAY more about the risk of this disease than, likely, anyone on this pistol forum.

So sorry, I'll trust the Mayo Clinic, W.H.O & the other Top Tier professionals that are helping direct policy over the peanut gallery here (no offense!)

However, I will not trust these Nobel Prize level PHD's on matters pertaining to the care & maintenance of firearms.

This peanut gallery has a doctorate in 1911-ology.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:11 PM

11k, in a population of 7 BILLION...? Thats essentially zero. This years flu has killed over 20k in tUS alone.... the math is the math.

For the sake of conversation, lets say that the death toll increases by a factor of 10 beforethis fizzles out. Call it 100k dead. Thats 0.00014% of the world's population, its insignificant. For comparison, the 1819 Spanish Flu killed about 5% of the worlds population. The pneumatic plague depopulated Europe by 30-50%... One one hundred thousand of 1 percent is miniscule.

The "drastic measures " in the form of "orders" to the population as a whole violate US Constitutional Law- period. There's no arguing that. We don't get to cherry pick what parts of and when we'll obey law.
As I've said before- "Baaaaa!"
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 03-20-2020, 09:20 PM

wccountryboy, Yes, I am an extreme high risk. Not counting my heart attack, I've had 23 days in the hospital in the last 14 months, spread over three visits, for respiratory failure. I understand, and concur with, your second paragraph. I'm not sure how the government got brought to this table. I accurately quoted Stiker2237, merely to point out that he seamed to downplay the attention that should be given to this. That's all.

I don't have an answer to your government involvement issue. I openly admit that I am ignorant of how to fight a war against another kingdom, with all its repercussions, an opposing party trying to unseat you, and a world-wide media supporting the opposition. That's all above my pay grade, as they say. I just hope that everything that I've believed in and lived my life for wins this war, and the U.S.A. and it's constitution survives intact. Otherwise, my thirty years of dedication was for naught.

I can't help fight this one other than adhering your stated bottom line. I haven't left my place since January 3rd. I've even cancelled physical therapy dates two weeks ago, so I have been doing my part. All I can do now is live, love and support my family. Prayer doesn't hurt either, you know.

Best of luck to you and yours through all this.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:41 PM

Well the good news is!

That the government is actively looking at taxpayer funded bailouts for Facebook, Amazon, and Youtube. So you can clearly see that civilization will ultimately be saved.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
11k, in a population of 7 BILLION...? Thats essentially zero. This years flu has killed over 20k in tUS alone.... the math is the math.

For the sake of conversation, lets say that the death toll increases by a factor of 10 beforethis fizzles out. Call it 100k dead. Thats 0.00014% of the world's population, its insignificant. For comparison, the 1819 Spanish Flu killed about 5% of the worlds population. The pneumatic plague depopulated Europe by 30-50%... One one hundred thousand of 1 percent is miniscule.

The "drastic measures " in the form of "orders" to the population as a whole violate US Constitutional Law- period. There's no arguing that. We don't get to cherry pick what parts of and when we'll obey law.
Your bogus bravado is quite telling. Glad you act as if you’re invincible, many in this country are not.

Real protectors don’t run their mouth in times like these....
Old 03-20-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
Quote:

Your bogus bravado is quite telling. Glad you act as if you’re invincible, many in this country are not.

Many no, but most all yes. Numbers don't really care what people feel in the moment and as more roll in its as stated not a big deal. Sucks sure but still not even a percent, not even close.

EDIT: it's not at all that I don't care or am callous. I have many many relatives that are firmly in that at risk category and a few friends for that matter but at the end of the day I'm not going to freak out or let them freak out because the numbers don't lie. The real threat in all this is the insane economic collapse and huge government overreach people are just okay with for ZERO reason.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 03-20-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Five Thousand deaths in Europe so far.

11,000 worldwide

Italy just recorded 627 dead in ONE DAY.

This is no overreaction. The drastic measures being put in place are an attempt to slow the exponential increases that we are seeing.

This alarm is not being invented by The Liberals or The Media or The Politicians. It's from the experts in the spread of communicable disease, now & throughout history.

Plus the top medical experts who know WAY more about the risk of this disease than, likely, anyone on this pistol forum.

So sorry, I'll trust the Mayo Clinic, W.H.O & the other Top Tier professionals that are helping direct policy over the peanut gallery here (no offense!)

However, I will not trust these Nobel Prize level PHD's on matters pertaining to the care & maintenance of firearms.

This peanut gallery has a doctorate in 1911-ology.
Exactly.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Its jot bravado at all- simply a holistic, realistic, and honest assessment of the situation. I'm not invincible, never claimed to be.

As for being a protector, I sworn an oath before God over 30 years ago to uphold and defend the Constitution, against all enemies, foreign and domestic- and have re affirmed that oath several times since. I've spent a lifetime in service.
When I see domestic assaults on the Constitution- I'll say something about it. If you'll meekly accept a government mandated assault on the 1A, then you forfeit the privilege to complain about any assault on the 2A.
Many see these current restrictions as "reasonable"- just as millions upon millions see AW or magazine bans as "reasonable". The principle is constant, the only variance is in the subject matter....
Old 03-20-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Many no, but most all yes. Numbers don't really care what people feel in the moment and as more roll in its as stated not a big deal. Sucks sure but still not even a percent, not even close.

EDIT: it's not at all that I don't care or am callous. I have many many relatives that are firmly in that at risk category and a few friends for that matter but at the end of the day I'm not going to freak out or let them freak out because the numbers don't lie. The real threat in all this is the insane economic collapse and huge government overreach people are just okay with for ZERO reason.
Didn’t say or think you were.....and I happen to think most, most all will survive.

Your case wasn’t my point.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Its jot bravado at all- simply a holistic, realistic, and honest assessment of the situation. I'm not invincible, never claimed to be.

As for being a protector, I sworn an oath before God over 30 years ago to uphold and defend the Constitution, against all enemies, foreign and domestic- and have re affirmed that oath several times since. I've spent a lifetime in service.
When I see domestic assaults on the Constitution- I'll say something about it. If you'll meekly accept a government mandated assault on the 1A, then you forfeit the privilege to complain about any assault on the 2A.
Many see these current restrictions as "reasonable"- just as millions upon millions see AW or magazine bans as "reasonable". The principle is constant, the only variance is in the subject matter....
Yeah, compared to a paper cut, or the common cold. Not the point.

Seems to be a common theme here, and kindly don’t lecture me, or tell the world any more about your oath or service hot rod. You’re far from the only one who took it, kept it, etc..

The point is, this is serious, will become more so, and yes, while many will sail through fine, many more won’t. So go on with your internet bravado. Hopefully no one in your immediate family or circle of friends picks it up from you, or someone like you who feels the freedom to ‘carry on’ as normal.

This ain’t normal Sport. Adios.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:46 PM

Ya know. With the earthquakes, fires, rolling blackouts, and all the other recurring disasters and issues in California, you would think that nearly everyone in California would be a prepper as just a normal way of life.

I'm sure a lot of the more rural areas do have a better grip on things. Unfortunately for them, as in a number of other states, it's the population centers where the majority have the it won't happen and the government will take care of us attitude. It's like in those places they go on the idea that we elected them to take care of us so we don't have to and we can go play instead. It's the smaller towns and agricultural or mountain areas where people seem to recognize they still have to take care of themselves.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 03-21-2020, 12:02 AM

wccountryboy------------------- You said "the math is the math"

YES! ABSOLUTELY IT IS!

The MATH is an ever increasing upward curve that is rapidly compounding at an alarming rate.

The MATH is based on trajectory, not hindsight.

You said "lets say the death toll increases by a factor of ten............. " Dude, the death toll of 11,000 people started just a few months ago! What's the math on that? Ten Times ain't nothing compared to what we are getting. Draw us a curve. Show us YOUR proposed trajectory.

Common flu has been around for thousands of years and kills nowhere near as fast and at as large a percentage of patients as this. About ten times the death rate of seasonal flu.

And FAR FAR deadlier in Italy because their respirators are all occupied. So the docs there are making triage choices on who gets one & who dies. Military convoys are hauling out the dead to newly established cemeteries. Did they normally do that during Flu Season???????

And many rural hospitals in the US only have one or two respirators. Yes, Math.

Last edited by magazineman; 03-21-2020 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:13 AM

In Los Angeles, gun stores selling ammo for self defense is not considered essential, but they are allowing pot stores to stay open because they do consider them essential. The Democrats are amazing.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:56 AM

Avenge us!

AAAAAAAAVENNNNGE UUUUUUUUUUSS!

WOLVERINES!
Old 03-21-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnireland View Post
In Los Angeles, gun stores selling ammo for self defense is not considered essential, but they are allowing pot stores to stay open because they do consider them essential. The Democrats are amazing.
Well, you know those 20 something year olds got have their weed for their “glaucoma” and “cataracts”.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Why is he coming to Texas?

We already have too many Californians here.

Somebody meet him at the border and turn him around-back to California.
I get a kick out of this sentiment. There are certain cities in Texas that are turning blue and it has nothing to do with California transplants. But you all need a boogie man to blame.

I was born and raised in California. My wife too. You all would be lucky to have us. We are as conservative as you can get. Not everyone that lives in California is a left wing, anti-gun loon. There are plenty of conservative, 2nd amendment supporters here. We are just vastly outnumbered by the morons.

We were considering a move to Texas but the humidity is just too much for us. We will are looking at Arizona or Nevada now. Hot but dry. Better fit for us. We no longer feel at home in our home state. It's sad because we have a lot of memories here and this was once a really nice place to grow up and live in. No longer. At least not if you share our views.

Moral of the story, don't be so quick to paint all of us Californians with the same brush.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2020, 09:52 AM

The curve has, or is, peaking....

https://www.rt.com/news/483707-china...al-infections/

Itll take a while to catch up, but not all that long. When the epicenter burns out, the spread and downhill curve drops rapidly. This will fizzle out in short order.

No, its not "normal". Yes, it can be deadly, to a small minority of the population. However,
it slowly relative to other, more common viruses. Italy is not the US., and there are probably reasons for its higher death toll- age demographics, life habits, living situations.... the rest of Europe The cold, hard truth is that flu will kill vastly more, by a factor of 10, 20 or more, than SARS-CoV-2.
However, its still not worth the panic caused, and definitely not worth the precedent of suspending the Constitution. I know, "If it saves just one life...." Where have you heard that argument before?
Old 03-21-2020, 10:05 AM
Administrator

I just can't get over how history seems to repeat itself. We're back in the '20s again, and the stock market is falling and you can no longer go out and buy a drink.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Why is he coming to Texas?

We already have too many Californians here.

Somebody meet him at the border and turn him around-back to California.
I get a kick out of this sentiment. There are certain cities in Texas that are turning blue and it has nothing to do with California transplants. But you all need a boogie man to blame.

I was born and raised in California. My wife too. You all would be lucky to have us. We are as conservative as you can get. Not everyone that lives in California is a left wing, anti-gun loon. There are plenty of conservative, 2nd amendment supporters here. We are just vastly outnumbered by the morons.

We were considering a move to Texas but the humidity is just too much for us. We will are looking at Arizona or Nevada now. Hot but dry. Better fit for us. We no longer feel at home in our home state. It's sad because we have a lot of memories here and this was once a really nice place to grow up and live in. No longer. At least not if you share our views.

Moral of the story, don't be so quick to paint all of us Californians with the same brush.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Well said! I have several friends in Calif. who are as conservative as you can get. If they relocated they would NOT bring liberal ideas to wherever they landed.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
There are plenty of conservative, 2nd amendment supporters here. We are just vastly outnumbered by the morons.*
This statement contradicts itself- if there were "pleanty" of conservative, 2A supporters in CA, then you woild not be in your current predicament. You would not be "outnumbered"....

The reason that CA expats get a bad rap is thst there is a 40+ year history of people leaving CA en masse, and turning their new State into a mini CA.... the perception is based on historical reality.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:55 AM

I think by "plenty" Frank Vaccaro meant a lot. We have four million, seven hundred thousand registered Republicans.

That's more than there are PEOPLE (men, women, & children) than half of the states in the US. And that's just our registered Republicans.

For overall numbers of Republicans we handily beat the majority of all states in the US. But as Frank said, it's majority rule and we are out-numbered here.

And it's the majority that rules ----------(except in Presidential elections!)