Anyone out there altering or bolstering security arrangements. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-19-2020, 01:08 AM

Anyone out there altering or bolstering security arrangements.

What with all of the craziness going on. Inmates being let out. No arrest policies. Massive layoffs, spot shortages of this and that. Have you, or are you considering doing things to enhance your personal security?

I really started to consider this today. While the Blue ridge mountains where I live is still CV-19 free at least inasmuch as any reported cases. The nearest being in the State Capitol 200 miles away. Fewer trips into town is a no brainer. Less exposure is better. But I was also thinking today that it is time for the long gun to go back into the truck. I carry one in there generally speaking anyway. But whenever I go somewhere that makes me reluctant to do so for whatever reason, it comes out. And does not generally go back in until I think that I should, sometimes months. That will change tomorrow. A few more loaded magazines for the handguns also will go in there.

Generally speaking we will just be leading a more low key life. Normally I get gas when I get to a half a tank. But now I will let it go down some more as less exposure to gas pump handles is a plus also. These days I feel like the biggest danger that I face out there is something that I can not even see. Especially as at 62 I guess that I am fairly high risk despite being in good health.

If things get as bad as I hope they won't. My wife and I may start locking our gate even when we are home. Anybody that shows up out here, they better have a really good reason for doing so.

How about you?
Old 03-19-2020, 04:03 AM

You never know when there will be a fuel supply issue. I’d go the other way and keep it full.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:22 AM

I am a 2x statistical risk to CV, over 60, been on chemo since 2007...I am not going to do anything unless I have absolutely no choice that would put myself at risk of needing to go to an emergency room, or hospital. I am not going to go for any routine checkups for my various doctors until we are on the downside of the proverbial "curve". Bottom-line: you want to keep away from the medical establishment at this time, unless you have no choice.

I'll also miss shooting for a while, but plenty of time for dry fire :-)...It will not be the first time, I was out for bone spur surgery, and skin cancer removal surgery, over last 10 years, months and months without shooting, after 1 (for 9mm or 38S) or 2 (45) range visits you will be back to where you left off (if you are doing a lot of Dry fire in the mean time). And this time, God Willing, there are no surgical intrusion's on muscles so it will be even easier.

Also, if you are locked-up, get a SIRT trainer it makes dry fire a ton of fun, mixed with your real guns.

Will keep working out in our home, and hiking/running down the bay, away from crowds.

As far as SD process at home, not sure I need to make any changes around here, I have very good processes and don't live in a remote area. If roving bands ;-) come to take my toilet paper, we go to the AR rather than the 45s. :-)
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-19-2020 at 04:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 07:23 AM

I considered that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromohio View Post
You never know when there will be a fuel supply issue. I’d go the other way and keep it full.
But I usually keep a couple of hundred gallons of gas back at my place anyway.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:49 AM

If you're NOT... you'd better START...

Coronavirus In Allegheny County: 13 Sheriff’s Deputies Self-Isolating After Possible Exposure To Virus

Quote:
ALLEGHENY COUNTY (KDKA) — Thirteen Allegheny County sheriff’s deputies are self-isolating after possible exposure to the coronavirus.
The sheriff says one deputies’ son’s girlfriend recently returned from Spain and tested presumptive positive for the virus.
The deputy himself was feeling sick but went to work anyway and possibly exposed 12 others.
That deputy is being tested, and the others are self-isolating.
The Pennsylvania Department of Health confirmed 37 new positive cases of Coronavirus on Wednesday afternoon.
That means the statewide number of cases now tops 100. The total being 133.
LEO's aren't naturally immune, and the criminal element will eventually take notice of that...
Old 03-19-2020, 08:52 AM

I work in LE and I'll tell you if things get bad and we start pulling security at grocery stores and hospitals we will NOT be able to respond to other calls. On the other hand if everyone takes a deep breath and slows down we can all get through this. A lot is going to depend on how much the media whips this thing into a frenzy. While I'm normally fully in support of our media, trust me I sometimes hate them as much as anyone else, I do believe they will try to push their own ratings and agenda before the public good.

Stay safe everyone

Last edited by mark2734; 03-19-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:07 AM

Yes. My usual dedicated Burglar Gun is a .357. But I have now added my 870 to that duty.

I also re positioned my front camera to cover the door more than my truck. As the vehicle USED to be the target of concern, but not anymore. Screw the truck.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:43 AM

I haven't done anything I haven't ordinarily already done on a day to day basis. I did give my rifle the once over, lubed the bolt, and put a drop of oil on the fire control mechanism. Checked magazines. That's about it.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:57 AM

I'm more attentive in monitoring local/neighborhood circumstances. Otherwise, I've seen no need to alter my normal security-related (purely security, not supplies) preparations.

Thus far, no evidence of increased crime threats; if anything it may be less. (In my environment...YMMV).

But things could change quickly; one never knows what tomorrow may bring in times like these.

If normal LE activities are shuttered, TWW's commentary (+1911) in post #5 will likely become full-fleged reality.

It will be interesting to see whether the Baltimore mayor's pleas for Baltimore residents to "kindly stop shooting each other" (separate thread) has any effect (in one direction or the other).

---

In areas where hundreds of prison inmates are being released --- https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51947802. --- I would be very, very concerned. Not only are these individuals convicts, but they are being released without any kind of support system. Accordingly, one might wonder exactly how these these released convicts will go about seeking "essentials" (as well as returning their "lifestyle").

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-19-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:16 AM

I am personally following his suggestion. I'm not going to shoot anyone in Baltimore.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I am personally following his suggestion. I'm not going to shoot anyone in Baltimore.

+1911 MM.

"We'll that's a wise policy; as wise policy" ... per "English Bob" in "Unforgiven".

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-19-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:03 PM

Yesterday my boss declared the room where I work a "secured area".....whatever that means. LOL
congresswoman Tulsi dropped by for a visit yesterday but I did not get to meet her...social distancing.
We were issued travel credentials from homeland security and the company in the likely event of curfews and roadblocks.

The mayor ordered all city parks closed, including our beloved shooting range. I guess I have no excuse for not finishing painting the house now.
Also have more time to cast bullets too.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:54 PM

Oldfut808 ---------- Please have your boss declare my house a Secured Area too. That should make it a lot safer.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:47 PM

I declared my house a safe area a very long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Oldfut808 ---------- Please have your boss declare my house a Secured Area too. That should make it a lot safer.
Just sayin.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:06 AM

Living on a dead-end private road has its' advantages. We seldom have anyone we do not know come up our road and if a vehicle we don't recognize should go by we have always just backed our truck out of the carport to block the road so they have to stop at the house to get out. This is when they get the "didn't you see the sign at the bottom of the road" speech which aint very polite. If things should get really bad we would institute the "no one crosses the bridge" policy which cuts off all vehicle access to our property. Shooting will continue apace as we have our own range 200 yards from the house. As far as going "out" is concerned we are definitely not running to town for minor reasons.

USMM Guy AR pistol (with Brace thanks to ATF ruling) is always in the truck BTW.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:29 AM

I arm up when I go to the grocery store for toilet paper, nobody is getting my BW!

US Army, Retired
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 03-20-2020, 10:44 AM

Being antisocial is paying of .
Old 03-20-2020, 12:21 PM

Shutting the gates, after I top off my diesel tank and jeep cans.
I've got a lot of work to do around the homestead, so the tractor will get thirsty.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:29 AM

I am carrying at all times in the home now. Spending more time monitoring perimeter cameras on my iPad. Staying up a little later now. Changed timer on yard lights to turn off at 6:30am. Pulled my suppressed MPX and now sits between bed and nightstand.

Sooner or later some people will resort to desperate measures to get things they want from people that have them. Always be ready.
Bill Wilson Carry .45, Wilson EDCx9, Ed Brown Cobra, Nighthawk T3 & T4, Springfield TRP, Springfield LW Champion Operator, all Kimber Aegis II's, all Kimber Raptors, Dan Wesson Valor, Dan Wesson Guardian, Dan Wesson CCO, Colt Commander 70 series, Sig C3.