The Ruger PC Charger 9mm Pistol. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-18-2020, 09:32 PM

The Ruger PC Charger 9mm Pistol.

Okay, I can't help it. I like this. It just begs for a 50 Round Glock drum.

https://www.ruger.com/products/pcCharger/models.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWU5Xo6jwtM

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 03-18-2020, 10:37 PM

Yes, ruger makes some good stuff, no question about that. At half the price of the Sig MPX copperhead it should sell well. But it will have to perform as well as the Sig. I do like my copperhead very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2020, 08:47 AM

I saw a video report on YouTube by 22Plinkster and he really liked it. It's brand new, so it's not even showing up on some websites yet for sale. I will probably not get one as the usage would overlap with my AR pistol. But it looks like a good option for those who want a handy 9mm.
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 10:56 AM

I can't say the Ruger Charger line holds any appeal to me. The rimfire one seems a silly and awkward thing, and this 9mm one isn't much better.

I will suggest that if one is really looking for something that accepts Glock mags, is 9mm and very compact and accurate? How about buying a Glock? - LOL

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-19-2020, 11:25 AM

Here's a link to the 22Plinkster review. The gun makes more sense with the accessories like the brace and the red dot.

LINK
Old 03-19-2020, 12:26 PM

I already have a PAK-9 with brace and both the Beretta and the Glock mag inserts. I could get a folding adapter, but I like the picatinny setup on the Ruger. My PAK-9 runs fine, but I think the Charger seems a little nicer setup. maybe a little more usable for shooting southpaw or to quickly pull the brace setup off and pop on a QD sling socket if you wanted to got that way. Also the Ruger is threaded where my PAK is not.

Plinkster was getting some good accuracy out of the Ruger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
I will suggest that if one is really looking for something that accepts Glock mags, is 9mm and very compact and accurate? How about buying a Glock? - LOL
I already have Glocks, but only the 43 in 9mm anymore. Got rid of the rest, but have mags. I would love if Ruger did the PC Charger in .45 ACP taking Glock mags as I still have my G21 and G30s and plenty of mags. Glocks, 1911s, SIGs, Rugers, S&W, Walther, etc., been there, done that, already used the T-Shirt for a cleaning rag.

It's a lot easier on old eyes to use a brace and an optic for the ranges I used to shoot open sight with standard handguns. Such as NRA Hunter Pistol Silhouette out to 100 meters with an open sighted Contender and the General Patton match with arms room M1911A1s at 50 Yards, and score well in each. Triple progressive lens and age don't make for the groups I used to shoot when I was younger.

Plus, I just like the looks and operation of the darned thing with the folding brace. Of course for the same price as the MSRP I could get the PSA AK pistol in 7.62x39 with a triangular folding brace. I like that too.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:27 PM

Want! Thatís a cool pistol. Could be a huge success for Ruger, especially if they decide to release a few more different calibers.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:13 PM

For 'about' $300, don't forget to check out all the various HiPoint carbines, available in 5 pistol calibers.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
Want! Thatís a cool pistol. Could be a huge success for Ruger, especially if they decide to release a few more different calibers.
I wouldn't be surprised to see one come out in 10MM. May have to keep the G29 and the 5 mags, plus 2 G20 mags just in case.

Quote:
For 'about' $300, don't forget to check out all the various HiPoint carbines, available in 5 pistol calibers.
Had one of those way back in 9mm. Accurate, ugly, and they still only have 10 round mags. Not to mention they are still carbines, not pistols. My PAK-9 will fit in a Pearl backpack snare drum case with room for matching pistol, many mags, and some other goodies. the Ruger with folding brace would be even smaller. Add the Hi-Tower or whatever it is bullpup and you are near the price of the Ruger. And you can't put a 50 round drum mag on the Hi-Point. Not a good one anyway.

I had a laminated stocked Charger .22 some years ago. Actually a neat pistol if you put some thought into it. I found that if I ran a tight, short sling on the back in a single point setup off the grip I could press it out tight while pressing my cheek onto the wood lip behind the action. I got it set to where I could run a 4 Power rifle scope and just by pressing out on the sling and lifting the pistol in the arc to cheek weld. Fun gun, but I sold it to finance another toy.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:33 PM

'Not to mention they are still carbines, not pistols.'

I gotta admit, I don't see the Charger as anything more than a 9mm SBR with a folding stock.

If it looks just like a stock, functions just like a stock and is used exactly like a stock? I'm thinking it just 'might' be a stock - LOL

Old 03-19-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
'Not to mention they are still carbines, not pistols.'

I gotta admit, I don't see the Charger as anything more than a 9mm SBR with a folding stock.

If it looks just like a stock, functions just like a stock and is used exactly like a stock? I'm thinking it just 'might' be a stock - LOL
It's only a stock and an SBR if ATF calls it that. Otherwise, it's a pistol with a brace.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:30 PM

As much as the initial look got me going I think I'm better served with my PAK-9. Unlike the PC Charger and many PC carbines my PAK-9, being AK based, is piston driven. It's like shooting a .22 LR. I'd forgotten how much slap there was out of gas blowback PCs. I've gotten worse slaps from lightweight blowback carbines than from some rifles. They aren't brutal by any means, but I've actually been bruised by them shooting several mags where my lever PCs in magnum calibers are fine to shoot.

I still think the PC Charger is cool, but it really doesn't do anything my PAK-9 can't do other than having a threaded barrel already. I'm not running a suppressor so I really don't need the threading. It would be nice to have, but not critical.

I really need to pick up a 50 round Glock drum just to really get that finished look on the PAK-9. Kind of a "6 FEET! 6 FEET! Back or under, you're choice." tool.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:51 PM

I would like one for the heck of it. Already have couple drum mags and long glock mags - why not!