1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-16-2020, 10:58 PM

in my opinion panic buying is a product of assholes. pure and simple
Old 03-16-2020, 11:01 PM

Stopped by a small LGS today, not a single round of ammo left in the store.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:15 PM

The whole virus panic thing turned out to be several orders of magnitude bigger than anyone including myself ever imagined.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:16 AM

This past weekend was our semi-annual gun show. One LGS probably sold 250,000 rounds or more in two days. There was no gouging (9mm AE was $199/K), no panic, no fights. Everyone lined up with their handcarts or helpers and walked away with their cases of ammo.

I bought my supply a few days earlier, since I didn't want to lug it around at the show (and to be quite honest I didn't know how much they would bring to the show so I got what I wanted early). Sunday afternoon the governor extended the spring break by a week. Reports started to filter in about panic buying of toilet paper, guns and ammo on the mainland but business remained pretty steady until the last couple of hours when everyone packed up and went home.

Today I drove by the PD twice to apply for my permits to acquire but there were 20-30 people standing in the line for permit apps both times so I'll try again Wed or Thurs.

When I went to the grocery store they had 24-packs of TP, limit 2 per customer, but the fresh meats were nearly sold out. I'm pretty sure everyone was stocking their freezers. At least I got my corned beef and cabbage for tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
He is going to catch a disease touching all that cash, smart people buy on line lot safer.

Overall, I am totally flabbergasted at the panic. Toilet paper, WTH...Over the years, not in panic, I've stored 2 months worth of F&W, and plenty of ammo (because the possibility of no internet-ammo sales in lefty states), also many ancillary items. But I must admit, I dropped the ball and didn't store 2 months of Toilet paper - LOL.

Someone should start a "What have you learned from this Panic" thread, my TP-learning is top of my list. :-)

I've seen many panics in the stock market investing and trading since 1988, but I have never seen a Nation-Wide panic outside the markets anything like this before. It is irrational-Hysteria...Most of it is the fault of the media, but also some of it falls on the CDC (The latter has to be very careful of the words they use, the herd scares very easily. In some ways they have made things more dangerous for the high risk group - over 60 and with pre-conditions).
Living in an island state where everything is shipped in, we've become very reactionary to even the slightest disruption in the supply chain.

Just the threat of a longshoreman's strike or an impending hurricane will cause nearly everyone to buy 100 lb bags of rice, cases of spam and cupnoodles, and naturally tp of course. I havent seen lines for gasoline yet but that sorta makes
sense since we're being told to stay home, so "no need drive 'round for nutin" as we say.

Now, when we see similar scenes on the national news we smile inwardly and slightly nod our head--welcome to the club.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:41 AM

[QUOTE=Amos Iron Wolf;13093980]A lot of this reminds me of that King of the Hill episode with the tornado coming and the rush on the Megalomart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilLPLd6GTbw

I'm still trying to figure out something I saw at our local Dollar General yesterday. In the canned meat section a whole section that has the canned tuna was bare. Yet all around it was Spam, canned chicken, canned ham, and a variety of other meat based canned goods. Why just the tuna? A friend's wife the next town over saw a lady at the grocery with her cart filled up with just canned tuna. Why buy up all the perishable meat and ignore the canned goods. It would seem the canned goods would be the first choice for stocking, and not just tuna.

Amos--she probably has 30 or 40 cats to feed.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:27 AM

Luckily, I was able to stockpile with ammo before it went out of stock. Be safe guys!
Old 03-17-2020, 06:24 AM

I would tell a friend of mine when I saw a good deal on certain ammo. I usually bought something here and there. He obviously didnt because he texted me last night complaining that he cant find whatever he needs. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc2721 View Post
This past weekend was our semi-annual gun show. One LGS probably sold 250,000 rounds or more in two days. There was no gouging (9mm AE was $199/K), no panic, no fights. Everyone lined up with their handcarts or helpers and walked away with their cases of ammo.

I bought my supply a few days earlier, since I didn't want to lug it around at the show (and to be quite honest I didn't know how much they would bring to the show so I got what I wanted early). Sunday afternoon the governor extended the spring break by a week. Reports started to filter in about panic buying of toilet paper, guns and ammo on the mainland but business remained pretty steady until the last couple of hours when everyone packed up and went home.

Today I drove by the PD twice to apply for my permits to acquire but there were 20-30 people standing in the line for permit apps both times so I'll try again Wed or Thurs.

When I went to the grocery store they had 24-packs of TP, limit 2 per customer, but the fresh meats were nearly sold out. I'm pretty sure everyone was stocking their freezers. At least I got my corned beef and cabbage for tomorrow.
“Permits to acquire”??
Please go into more description.....I could look it up, but I want to hear it from someone that has to go through the process.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:49 AM

[QUOTE=jc2721;13094814]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
A lot of this reminds me of that King of the Hill episode with the tornado coming and the rush on the Megalomart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilLPLd6GTbw

I'm still trying to figure out something I saw at our local Dollar General yesterday. In the canned meat section a whole section that has the canned tuna was bare. Yet all around it was Spam, canned chicken, canned ham, and a variety of other meat based canned goods. Why just the tuna? A friend's wife the next town over saw a lady at the grocery with her cart filled up with just canned tuna. Why buy up all the perishable meat and ignore the canned goods. It would seem the canned goods would be the first choice for stocking, and not just tuna.

Amos--she probably has 30 or 40 cats to feed.
Rumor must be going around that says fish oil kills Corona. Not one damn can of my coveted King Oscar sardines (with jalapeños) to be found, none, no tuna here either.....weird.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
That was then, this is now.
Oh really , look what has been brewing up again in the same city .
Like I said they have plenty of resources if they want to use it , legal or not they don't care and it's only getting started .
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...n-of-firearms/
Old 03-17-2020, 08:43 AM

I used the Walmart ammo dump last fall to stock up to levels that I could afford.
I'm predicting lots of TP'd trees next Halloween.
Hi Standard Sentinel Deluxe
S&W Model 19
Old 03-17-2020, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
What I don't understand is people cleaning out the meat section. The perishable stuff.
I went to my nearby Meijer for a rotisserie chicken yesterday. They had plenty of them in the deli. I looked around a bit and noticed there was almost no meat in the meat section and not a single piece of raw chicken.

The only section in the meat department that was well-stocked was the section with plant-based fake "meat". It amused me that even a plague-driven panic can't get people to eat that crap!

Rosco
Old 03-17-2020, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

I went at lunch yesterday to get some deli meat for sandwiches, a can of cashews, and Half-and-Half for my wife's coffee. There was no household cleaning products, no hand or countertop wipes, no paper towels or toilet paper, no fresh meats, no packaged smoked sausage, no bacon or eggs or breakfast sausage, no bread or tortillas, no pre-packaged deli meat, no lettuce or onions (I did pick up two tomatoes for sandwiches), no packages of shredded cheese of any type. Fortunately I didn't need any of those, but had to settle for an off-brand of deli jalapeno jack cheese and only one flavor of deli ham was left to choose from. They did have plenty of my brand of beer though... but only one jar left of my Trappey's hot sliced jalapeno peppers.

Even the frozen foods were about on quarter of their normal stock; and this store gets 2 restocks per week.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 03-17-2020, 09:24 AM

Those who reload never have cause to panic.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 03-17-2020, 09:55 AM

There are restrictions in place, or proposed restrictions, on alcohol (booze)

This is in many places including here in San Diego.

Weird.

I don't drink so have no dog in that fight but what the heck is THAT about?
Old 03-17-2020, 10:02 AM

Nothing new. I have been in my current business for 10+ years and every year there is some type of panic buying that sends people hoarding ammo and usually "assault weapons" they fear will be banned.

My experience is it kills businesses like mine because people will put off safety related items like handgun safes because they need to buy another 10,000 rounds of ammo.

I have only seen one bump in business and that was after Sandy Hook when people thought Obama was going to be able to implement National storage laws. As soon as the Senate turned Republican the frenzy ended and back to normal.

These panic buys hurt some gun related companies more than you would realize and the ammo and gun manufacturers always benefit.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjdgman View Post
On top of the hoarding/panic buying of TP and ammo, a friend of mine witnessed on Friday a guy pulling out 15K of cash at his local bank. Apparently he had come from a different branch 20 miles away where he had already pulled 15K from there. WHAT FOR??? This is truly insane.
You can’t fix stupid people. There will always be A—— holes out there!
Old 03-17-2020, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Panic gun buying: a dude from work just came back from a gun store and said he couldn't buy a gun because the Federal NICS is down and he doesn't have a carry permit.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
There are restrictions in place, or proposed restrictions, on alcohol (booze)

This is in many places including here in San Diego.

Weird.

I don't drink so have no dog in that fight but what the heck is THAT about?
Magazineman... it's never too late to start drinking I always say!!!
Old 03-17-2020, 12:29 PM

A few of my thoughts on gun/ammo shopping as it pertains to the pandemic:

1. Buying MORE guns, if you are already well armed, is pointless. You can easily do that at any time you like after this is over.

2. Ammo: Same thing. If you already have heaps of ammo --stressing about getting more, when getting more is tough, is also pointless. You ARE NOT going to be getting into any firefights with looters that require THOUSANDS of rounds. You're one cat defending your 3 Bedroom crib against local punks.

Not an infantry battalion holding the line against a Nazi army. Gimme a break.

3. Concerning "dude from work" thwarted by NICS crashing. See the above. Now if he's actually totally unarmed then he could buy a repro Hawkin Rifle & a cap n' ball revolver today. No NICS needed.

Yeah, not super great but it damn well beats a baseball bat & can be sold after the panic subsides.

A 54 cal Minie Ball will kill a buffalo. A looter would be found five feet from his shoes.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:

2. Ammo: Same thing. If you already have heaps of ammo --stressing about getting more, when getting more is tough, is also pointless. You ARE NOT going to be getting into any firefights with looters that require THOUSANDS of rounds. You're one cat defending your 3 Bedroom crib against local punks.
I think with ammo it's also a "what if they ban ammo sales" altogether, forever. Can't ban the gun? Ban the bullets! Or tax them into the stratosphere! One can't really be sure what crazy underhanded tactic the poltroons in government will use to further weaken the 2nd.
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 03-17-2020, 01:09 PM

Old Grey Hare ------- Ammo being banned FOREVER is not anymore of a risk in a National Emergency than in other times. Even Martial Law is temporary.

Now if somebody wants to go down the "but what if.....and then what if... then what if....." rabbit hole that's best addressed on a psychology / mental issues forum.

Because that kind of thought pattern is not truly gun, emergency, or fact driven. There's other issues at play.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Old Grey Hare ------- Ammo being banned FOREVER is not anymore of a risk in a National Emergency than in other times. Even Martial Law is temporary.

Now if somebody wants to go down the "but what if.....and then what if... then what if....." rabbit hole that's best addressed on a psychology / mental issues forum.

Because that kind of thought pattern is not truly gun, emergency, or fact driven. There's other issues at play.
I think the psycho-dynamics involved here is more of a prolonged "State of Emergency" lasting through summer and perhaps a year. Fact is some states can restrict the sale, transfer, and transportation of ammo and firearms. There are a few states with specific language like that. In those states, they can halt ammo sales and even the transportation of ammo and guns. For people in those states... I can understand the panic mode.

Then there are many states that have pro-actively taken that language out of the law like Texas, Florida and many others because of the Katrina effect.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:44 PM

I am old enough to have been down this road before. I have a good supply of .45 acp, .22 LR, .222, 7mm-08, 25.06. And, if I should happen to become concerned I will load up some .300 Savage and .308. I have the components on hand.