DW Valor jams at 200 rounds between cleanings - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-15-2020, 10:35 AM

Pictures of a typical jam would be very helpful.
.45 ACP 1911s: Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Colt, Dan Wesson, Springfield, Build No. 1
www.discovering1911.com
Old 03-15-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rockefeller View Post
Pictures of a typical jam would be very helpful.
I will try to get one.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:20 PM

Mine would jam. I tried taking it to a local Smith to see if he could just tell me if it needed a trip back. Should have bought this Ruger yada yada. I took it apart and ended up finding a tiny sliver of metal that got left in it at the factory.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:09 AM

Consumers seem to prefer overly tight 1911s with overly heavy recoil springs. I don’t get it. But, manufacturers try to provide what consumers want.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:55 PM

I believe the Valor comes with a 20# recoil spring.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
Consumers seem to prefer overly tight 1911s with overly heavy recoil springs. I don’t get it. But, manufacturers try to provide what consumers want.
The 1911 (which I love) is a designer boutique gun anymore and therefore the focus is on fancy, handfit, tight, accurate etc. For a hard wearing tactical combat gun put together inexpensively from the parts bin there are way better choices.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:45 PM

Having a true 1911 gunsmith look at your gun is the only way to get a definitive answer. Good luck finding one. I live in a large metropolitan area and had the pleasure of having several local highly acclaimed "gunsmiths" screw up my guns. I have a DW PM9 that acted up a bit, went back to the factory and was declared good to go, but still was unhappy when returned to me. I shipped it to a 1911 bullseye smith and he made it run like the proverbial raped ape. A small amount of correct adjusting and one new part worked like a charm. I have to remind myself to clean and lube it now because it just runs and runs and runs.

Find a 1911 gunsmith and have them look at it. You may or may not get an answer from the factory.
Jeff
Old 03-20-2020, 07:51 AM

Let me add my .02, I just bought a new Baer TRS and after giving it a good cleaning and lube, I use chainsaw bar oil, works great & stays put. I took it to the range this past Tuesday and past the first mag where I had 2 times that it failed to go fully into battery, but I attribute this to probably be from my reloads and/or a new tight chamber, but past that it ran 300rds w/o a single issue, it just ran.

Les tends to set his guns up pretty tight so I would agree with most of the guy’s here that something isn’t setup quite right.

My friends son has a DW A2 Heritage (nice gun) in SS that would “lockup” and asked me to look at it and I ended up blueing everything inside and found that the rails in the front of the slide were a bit short causing the frame rail to heavily contact there. I added just a wee bit of clearance there and it now just runs, no more jamming no matter how many rounds.

Initially it would only run 1 or 2 mags before jamming tight But after I added the clearance my friend and I ran 250rds w/o any issue. My .02, hope it helps.

Last edited by passx; 03-20-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:22 PM

I finally found a range that is open and shot 250 rounds through the gun. It was bad. Talk about a "1911 with a side of jam" for breakfast!

I identified three jam types:

1) Partial slide lock engagement either during or after the last shot was fired from a magazine

2) The round did not go fully into the chamber. Backing up the slide a bit resulted in the cartridge tilting into the chamber and engaging the breechface.

3) Failure to load when the slide release was used or the sling shot method was used.

Partial Slide Lockn (No, I did not make the idiot mark; I bought the gun used with maybe 50 rounds through it):
Attached Thumbnails
partial-slide-lock.JPG  
Old 04-23-2020, 04:26 PM

Are 2 and 3 the same, just at different times?

Be sure your extractor is not, too tight. Do you know the test routine for that?
.45 ACP 1911s: Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Colt, Dan Wesson, Springfield, Build No. 1
www.discovering1911.com
Old 04-23-2020, 04:45 PM

Round did not fully go into the chamber
Attached Thumbnails
ftf1.JPG   ftf2.JPG  
Old 04-23-2020, 05:01 PM

Failure to load when either slide release or sling shot used when loading a new mag
Attached Thumbnails
sliderelease.JPG   slingshot.JPG  
Old 04-23-2020, 05:02 PM

Gun also has very erratic ejection from 45 out front to over my shoulder. One did go over my head.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:03 PM

Here is a closeup of the extractor
Attached Thumbnails
extractor.JPG  
Old 04-23-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rockefeller View Post
Are 2 and 3 the same, just at different times?

Be sure your extractor is not, too tight. Do you know the test routine for that?
Yes. One was a slingshot and the other was slide release (to load a new mag)
Old 04-23-2020, 05:09 PM

This shows how the rounds are plowing through the crud
Attached Thumbnails
dirty.JPG  
Old 04-23-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
No, I do not.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
1) Grease slows the slide down ON THIS GUN and causes jams.
2) Militech-1 was used before and during the test. It was “wet” the entire time.
3) 18.5# action spring is DW standard.
You don't understand grease.

You're likely thinking of common SGLI #2 grease when you think of grease. Get some old school LSA, it's a grease. However it's a light flowing grease.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_consistency_number To read up on grease.

Or you can get this. https://smile.amazon.com/Lubriplate-...s%2C231&sr=8-3
Old 04-23-2020, 05:38 PM

My guess is that judicious polishing of the barrel where the round “breaks over” into the chamber will help. Chamber may be tight and reaming may help. Feed ramp may need a touch of careful polishing. Extractor may need some attention.

I would be surprised if it turns out to be anything major.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I identified three jam types:
  1. Partial slide lock engagement either during or after the last shot was fired from a magazine

2. The round did not go fully into the chamber. Backing up the slide a bit resulted in the cartridge tilting into the chamber and engaging the breechface.

3. Gun also has very erratic ejection from 45 out front to over my shoulder. One did go over my head.
That's quite a list of problems.

My first bit of advice is don't try to fix them all at once. Pick one problem and fix it. Then move on to the next problem. If you try to fix them all at the same time, you won't know if the thing you did to fix the feeding problem also fixed the ejection problem. It's best to focus on one thing at a time and proceed methodically.

My second bit of advice is to closely read the extractor tutorial in the sticky section: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=829865 Bob Rockefeller's observation that the extractor may be to blame is probably right. Use the information in the sticky to tweak the extractor and determine if, in fact, it was to blame for the feeding issue.

Partial slide lock could be caused by a number of things including bumping into it with your support thumb during firing and nose of the bullets bumping into the follower lug/stud. Look for brass smears on the lug. If you find any, carefully file them away but be very careful not to remove too much metal otherwise the slide stop will be rendered inoperable.

Failure to fully chamber may be caused by a number of things. First, perform the plunk test using factory ammo to determine if a loaded round will fully chamber. If it passes that test, you can move on to other possibilities such as the extractor.

Erratic ejection and brass flying straight back is very often an extractor problem.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:54 PM

If you haven’t resolved this type of thing in the past yourself, it can be maddening. It is also quite easy to get in over your head quickly and make things worse. You may be well served by a good professional gunsmith. Some of the posts above (not me) came from folks with extreme talent.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Allentown View Post
My first bit of advice is don't try to fix them all at once. Pick one problem and fix it.
I second that. If it were me, I'd start with the feed problem. Especially if it is both 2 and 3 on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Allentown View Post
My second bit of advice is to closely read the extractor tutorial in the sticky section: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=829865.
This thread is invaluable. If you do all that, and the feed problem persists, let this forum know.

If it gets fixed, there are other things to do about premature slide lock.
www.discovering1911.com
Old 04-23-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Partial slide lock could be caused by a number of things including bumping into it with your support thumb during firing and nose of the bullets bumping into the follower lug/stud. Look for brass smears on the lug.
I am left handed, so that's not it.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:47 PM

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=829865

Quote:
When running the RIA through the <10-8> test, it failed routinely, stove piping, dropping rounds through the magwell etc . . . The gun has had a few malfunctions while fully loaded as well, usually the last round is left loose in the chamber . . . The extractor itself passes all tests of tension with the Weigand extractor tension gauge and holds a loaded round against the breechface.
My gun left a loose round the chamber and it fell out through the mag well on at least three occasions.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:32 PM

Sounds like an extractor issue. Previous owner might have tried hand feeding the pipe.

Stick to 230gn Blazer Brass, American Eagle, S&B, for plinking ammo. My Valor feeds all of those flawlessly.

Keep it clean and well lubed. It'll smooth out. Valors are not too tight. Don't forget to lube the bushing, outside of barrel, and the locking lugs. I use my own blend.

But it sounds like the extractor needs checked.