Asian-Americans Terrified of Coronavirus Backlash Stock Up on Guns - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-10-2020, 03:16 PM

Cuomo has the National Guard going into New Rachel, a Jewish-American neighborhood in NYC...All nursing homes are locked down, no one in/out...We can come up with all sorts of conspiracy theories with this one.

Not sure what the national guard is going to do, maybe distribute toilet paper, sanitize, or restrain the seniors who try to "break-out" to get some decent coffee at Starbucks. Or maybe Cuomo is in liege with the Fed's to cut back on social security payments.

I betcha they will ban the media from seeing what is going on in their also. What are they trying to hide anyway?

I mentioned above 60+ are going to be singled out but didn't think it would happen so fast. Don't let them take your guns, and don't let them put you in a nursing home for Pete's sake!!!

....On the serious side, hope these seniors in the lock-up do well, I am concerned that the NG is being sent in though sets a bad precedent and it is starting to sound like a Grade-B "deadly-virus" movie..
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-10-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:41 PM

There's only two major issues here:

1. The virus

2. Fear of the virus.

The virus it'self is pretty straightforward. Bad, but understandable.

But who knows what the fear will cause? It's already shut down Italy, caused global panic, trashed the financial markets ---- This has personally cost me over $100,000 in investment losses (if I sold now) --- you name it.

Science warned people about these Wet Markets & animal/people crossover pathogens yet was largely ignored.

But hopefully science can save us from what we have brought onto ourselves.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Jesus. This is like the nazis all over again, using the virus as an excuse to go crazy. Be careful guys
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 03-10-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
There's only two major issues here:

1. The virus

2. Fear of the virus.

The virus it'self is pretty straightforward. Bad, but understandable.

But who knows what the fear will cause? It's already shut down Italy, caused global panic, trashed the financial markets ---- This has personally cost me over $100,000 in investment losses (if I sold now) --- you name it.

Science warned people about these Wet Markets & animal/people crossover pathogens yet was largely ignored.

But hopefully science can save us from what we have brought onto ourselves.
Hang in there, as long as you have decent companies and ETF you will get back to even soon after the panic subsides. The big money is not going to stay in Treasury bills paying such a low interest rate for very long, they are just working to scare people out so as to get the cheapest price. This isn't a redo of 2009, the fundamentals are strong...This is blown way out of proportion by the help of the Lefty-Media (who sees it as their next chance to destroy POTUS), the CDC, and some lefty politicians....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Jesus. This is like the nazis all over again, using the virus as an excuse to go crazy. Be careful guys
Yea, getting crazy.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-10-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:40 PM

I really don't get this whole panic, my dad is a board member at riverside and he is also trying to get the hospital owners to stop freaking out over something objectively less dangerous than seasonal flu.

Why is there so much hype over something less dangerous than going out for a drive? Mind blowing for me......

At my local Asian market I'm kinda sad since they are very low on some of my favorite foods to, I'm good on rice stocks though lol!
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 03-10-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I'm basically an "honorary Asian" as I've been married to a Laotian / Vietnamese woman for 25 years. My social circle has become, predominantly, Asian. Not just Southeast, but Chinese & Korean as well. So I do have some insight on a few things mentioned here.

There's currently "panic buying" of white rice in particular, at the Asian markets here in San Diego. They are sold out. My wife was lucky to score a 25 Pounder yesterday when the truck arrived. But I saw no panic buying at my local US chain supermarket.

Again, Asian immigrants have a better understanding of history, and hardship, than US-Born folks. My wife starved in a refugee camp for years. While suffering from tuberculosis. It was a tough time. Meanwhile, I was eating poptarts & watching TV in the US.

Btw, New wells were always being dug in the refugee camp because distraught people would often commit suicide, throwing themselves down the well. And previously, in Laos, one could not stray (or play) in untraveled areas because of mines.

And many her folk's friends that helped the US in the war were not protected. They were sent to Re Education camps by the Communists. I went to a funeral recently of one of my father in-law's friends. A nice guy. He used to play cards at the parties we go to. Anyhow, I didn't know until I read the funeral "info card" that he had been in a re education camp for many years after the war.

Eventually he had been released and immigrated to the US where he found his family again. But his wife was remarried and his kids did not know him. He accepted this, and the occasional slurs cast at him by American servicemen at the shop he owned near Miramar Navy / Marine base.

I can't imagine how much that must have stung! He had served us and paid a horrible price for it. Then, as a reward, was called Zipperhead and Charlie by young soldiers.So these folks, in general, know first hand how society can collapse & how death violence can come to your door.

On banks, yes, many immigrants do not trust banks. Only with great effort and after a burglary were we able to convince the in-laws to use the bank. Note that much of their money, hoarded & concealed inside bamboo walls in their camp shack had been lost. Chewed to pieces by termites!

Many of these folks have suffered on a level that most US born people cannot relate to. And NONE of the ones I have spoken to about guns are Anti. They GET it.

Funny thing: Before we married I told my wife I had guns. Had to make sure she was okay with this. Upon seeing my "arsenal" she scoffed. Saying "people in my village had REAL GUNS. Not little play toys like these"

Perspective!
Back home we have RPGs (my dad clan has all major government positions in the town, plus a law firm to back it up) and other fun stuff that is flat out crazy illegal so yeah I can she where her comment comes from lol!

It's very fascinating how it works over there to this day
Old 03-10-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I really don't get this whole panic, my dad is a board member at riverside and he is also trying to get the hospital owners to stop freaking out over something objectively less dangerous than seasonal flu.

Why is there so much hype over something less dangerous than going out for a drive? Mind blowing for me......
We've been debating exactly the above in more detail in the "Disaster" folder...

I tell you one thing, and I am not Jewish, if Trump did what Cuomo did all the loons on the left in the media and government would be calling the move "racist" against Jewish people. Guaranteed.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 03-10-2020, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Because fear, which the media makes money on and the Left uses as a powerful motivator (and for most dumbed-down folks it is a powerful motivator), is a primary weapon they use to manipulate the public and control the dialogue.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 03-10-2020, 08:56 PM

Frankly, I think that some people here would blame rain on a Lefty / Media Conspiracy.

But here's why THIS virus is a much bigger deal than the regular flu:

1. There is no vaccine & it's not known if it has a "season" like the flu

2. There are not enough ventilators to handle massive numbers of patients. So some will have to die. Apparently, in Italy, doctors are already having to make judgement calls on who gets on a ventilator & who doesn't. Saving the most savable.

3. It has a far higher mortality rate than the regular flu. Look at the infection numbers & the death numbers. It's bad. Thumbnail guessing by what I've seen approx 3-5% of patients die.

The disease is no joke. I'm not saying we should all run around screaming but this is a serious situation.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:01 PM

Italy as of today: 10,149 infected and 631 deaths. Do your math. This ain't your Father's flu.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Italy as of today: 10,149 infected and 631 deaths. Do your math. This ain't your Father's flu.
Total deaths are small vs Flue..CV is partially contained, and getting more contained every day, flue is not. That makes a big difference. There isn't any equivalency btwn these two as far as risk to most of the population especially in America.

Death by flue is ubiquitous, death by CV is mostly in nursing homes, and other hot-spot areas.

30,000-40,000 flue deaths per year in US in the most advanced 1st world country in the world...Worldwide as of 3/2 total deaths by CV are about 3,000 or so and most of those a crap-hole of a country like China where it started.

So 40,000 Flue deaths in USA each year vs 3,000 deaths world wide of CV so far this year, go ahead and double it to 6,000 if you want to normalize for an entire flue season: 40K US flue (one country), "6K" est entire world (entire planet)...Who is kidding who?

Italy will be fine, they just have to stop hugging each other, kissing each other on the cheek, and change their cultural habits of interpersonal contact btwn friends and family...BTW, in 2008 (I couldn't find a more recent statistic), there were 8,000 flue deaths in Italy, big difference vs 631 CV. Again double the 631 if you want to normalize for a full flue season, and we can still see flue creates a much bigger risk.

As far as the media,

Are you kidding? Have you actually listened to some of the things those animals are saying about POTUS concerning CV on MSNBC and CNN. Or are you just trying to play "lets all along". (BTW, just to clarify, FOX, although they do not try to use the Death of American's due to CV as another tool to de-throne POTUS, they are also guilty of spreading CV-Panic).

Nobody said it is a joke, but one would have to be in a state of panic to think CV is creating a risk to human life anywhere near regular annual flue. Thy aren't even in the same league, just look at the numbers.

What we have here is mass-hysteria.
When the CDC comes out and recommends 60 year old and older in this country to "stay home" because of CV, it says it all. Now if they said the same thing concerning regular flue which is ubiquitous it would at least have a shred of sanity to it.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-11-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:43 AM

When to Panic over CV?

When the first case is reported that an American caught CV from a Chinese product shipped by Amazon. At that point there is risk for ubiquitous exposure to American's.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-11-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:52 AM

combat auto ---------- Read my posts again. No vaccine, no set treatment, FAR higher mortality rate.

Some of these deaths have been people in their 30's & 40's!

Do you update your will & trust when you get the seasonal flu?? No. But if you catch this one you better.

This is on a whole 'nuther level.

And no, a virus won't survive a cross-ocean journey without a live host. Your Harbor Freight zipties are squeaky clean.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
combat auto ---------- Read my posts again. No vaccine, no set treatment, FAR higher mortality rate.

Some of these deaths have been people in their 30's & 40's!

Do you update your will & trust when you get the seasonal flu?? No. But if you catch this one you better.

This is on a whole 'nuther level.

And no, a virus won't survive a cross-ocean journey without a live host. Your Harbor Freight zipties are squeaky clean.
Don't need to read your post again...The numbers don't justify your panic, but go ahead and update your will if you want...

Mortality rate doesn't mean jack if you are not exposed...Stay out of the hot spots you will do fine.

South Korea death rate is about .7%, less than 1% of those who have caught it, that is likely where most of the developed countries will wind up, and possibly lower after we have better processes...And with the relatively small amount of exposure vs flue, this is going to be the biggest example of mass-hysteria of the 2020-30 decade, especially in the US.

Shut the TV/cable off, you will feel better about life again.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-11-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:21 PM

Hmmmmm, who's advice to follow? The virology community and those scientists involved in the field of science, or the rantings and opinions of those in a gun forum?

Last edited by win3030; 03-11-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:26 PM

The mistake people make which leads them to a false risk assessment is using the # of death's divided by those who have caught the disease. This is an ok to start, but is highly inconclusive for any given individual.

You have to assess the likelihood you will catch the disease. If I go in a hospital ward loaded with CV unprotected the likelihood is close 100% and the death rate per people with the disease is accurate way to assess overall risk of death in this scenario. However, if I live in the part of the country where there are no cases, it would lead me to a very wrong conclusion, a very biased conclusion to the negative...

Now granted, as a disease spreads, it might not be so easy to assess one probability of exposure. But there is another way to calculate risk for the overall population of an individual of a country which is much better than just using the death rate/total cases of the disease.

Take the total deaths in the country and divide it by the total population. This will average out all the deaths over the hot spots and the relatively safe spots.

If we do this for flue vs CV in the US, we can see the humongous difference in the two risks they present to the overall population:

Flue, 40,000/327,000,000...CV 29/327,000,000. Many orders of magnitude different...Even if we get a few thousands of deaths here over the next few months (and I don't think we will), it is still an order of magnitude less than flue.

But no amount of logic, reason, or math, will convince the emotional-mind...My good friend neighbor is in a panic too, he does have an excuse being 75 and w/heart problems, but the media is driving him nuts. I told him to just shut it off for now, there are no outlets that havn't jumped on the CV panic train. The Lefty outlets adds the "Trump's fault" angle to it too though.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-11-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Asian-Americans Terrified of Coronavirus Backlash Stock Up on Guns
Of the Asian folks I know, who I know shoot, I've heard none say they are buying more guns or ammo due to fear of an anti Chinese backlash.

Every instance I've seen cited of anti-Chinese backlash comes from a mentally damaged individual. The kind of person who will kill a pet parakeet due to fearing Bird Flu.

tipoc

Last edited by tipoc; 03-11-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:35 PM

combat auto. I'm not panicking. But it does appear that you don't have a full grasp of how this is a massively different issue than common strains of the flu (BTW, a flue is in your chimney)

Common influenza is already widespread and has been with us for centuries. We already HAVE a decent handle on those and yet it still kills thousands per your own admission.

Now CV has been in humans for only a few months. And we have almost NO handle on it at all. At this point the separation of the healthy & the ill is about all we can do.

And, of course, "the ill" are not immediately apparent, are they?

Will YOU be safe? Yes, probably. Will everyone else be okay? No. This one is a big deal.

Or maybe all the public health experts on Earth abandon their concern & look to combat auto for advice.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by win3030 View Post
Hmmmmm, who's advice to follow? The virology community and those scientists involved in the field of science, or the rantings and opinions of those in a gun forum?
Probably those in the medical field at higher levels who are laughing at the overreaction, Ohio heaths board is loving the extra money.

Last edited by Striker2237; 03-11-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
combat auto. I'm not panicking. But it does appear that you don't have a full grasp of how this is a massively different issue than common strains of the flu (BTW, a flue is in your chimney)

Common influenza is already widespread and has been with us for centuries. We already HAVE a decent handle on those and yet it still kills thousands per your own admission.

Now CV has been in humans for only a few months. And we have almost NO handle on it at all. At this point the separation of the healthy & the ill is about all we can do.

And, of course, "the ill" are not immediately apparent, are they?

Will YOU be safe? Yes, probably. Will everyone else be okay? No. This one is a big deal.

Or maybe all the public health experts on Earth abandon their concern & look to combat auto for advice.
When you can't argue the facts, use the "Expert-out". I can't argue my position rationally, but I can say the "Experts" told me it is the end of the world. The experts are contributing to this panic. Look at numbers, use rational thought. 29 deaths in US, the #'s are just not there to justify the panic, plain and simple.

S-Korea has a less than 1% death rate (and that is vs those with the disease) did you miss that factoid also?

No everyone should listen to you and go into panic mode. That makes more sense. Did you finish your Will update already?
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-11-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:53 PM

More Irrationality

Looks like this will be worse than the Bubonic plague:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...navirus-merkel

I guess she never heard of soap and water, counter top cleaner, protective masks and gloves, basic cautions in human-human interactions. She is also making the no-immunity mistake like the A-Indians did 200Y ago. She doesn't realize that our knowledge of how virus' spread has advanced greatly over 200 years :-).

Like I said, no amount of logic, reason, or math, can change the emotional mind, or the mind in a state of panic.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-11-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Can a couple of you bring this topic back to the original title?
Old 03-11-2020, 02:19 PM

I have guns. I have ammo. I have bug-out bags. My UNIMOG is tuned up and ready to go.

Bring on the Apocalypse!!!
Old 03-11-2020, 04:02 PM

Well, the fear of a pandemic is spurring-on ammo sales and a prepper community now claims they prepared for the coming pandemic! It's now not just Asians.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...most-ammo-wins
Quote:
Justin Anderson, the marketing director for Hyatt Guns in Charlotte, North Carolina, one of the nation’s largest, said ammunition is the top seller. “I’ve seen a notable spike in the purchase of bulk ammo, which is usually a barometer of people’s fear in these types of situations,” he said, adding, “The person with the most ammo wins.”
I like what he said... ammo sales is like a barometer of fear!!!

LOL... that explains why I hoarded so much ammo during the Obama years!

and from a prepper camp:

Quote:
Miller started warning about the virus last month and sent members suggestions on how to prepare, including stocking up on AR-15 ammunition, flashlights, and fresh gasoline.

“We have always been prepared for a pandemic,” he told us, explaining that his camps keep families apart so an infection won’t spread but are behind a wall for defense. “Lots of spread out buildings and shallow shelters (we have NO deep underground shelters) lets our members grab weapons and get to their assigned defensive position on the outer wall in a minute,” he said.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:59 PM

That is funny...

Yes, soon the roving gangs will be intentionally spreading the virus. And those few that are not infected will be kicking down doors to come after our toilet-paper (CDC has recommended seniors horde toilet paper you know :-)). So good to have a lot of ammo going through this crisis as a deterrent. Ammo is actually more important than hand sanitize, N95 masks, and rubber gloves at a time like this. (Just kidding in case anyone doesn't have a sense of humor).

Yes, just more evidence of mass-hysteria...I have to be honest, I've been exposed to mass-hysteria before many times in the markets over 30 years of investing and trading, but this CV-Hysteria, which goes well beyond markets, has exceeded all my expectations...God forbid we ever had a more serious threat in this country.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-11-2020 at 05:11 PM.