New offering........ "COLT SERIES 70" - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-04-2020, 08:51 AM

I have a Colt Classic at NHC for this treatment. Hope to get a call soon, as this is week 10.

Love looking at all those ColtHawks.

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 03-07-2020, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

A gun writer showed me his NH Colt this afternoon. I really like it. We compared it with the Caspian 1911 that Larry Vickers built 18 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200307_131727586.jpg  
Old 04-27-2020, 08:52 AM

Glad to see NH offering this simple package. 1911 being such a great platform to build to users' preference, everyone can get the form they want. Great job Nighthawk!
Old 04-27-2020, 09:02 AM

I like the simple package - the small beavertail in particular. But could do without the worn finish. Reminds me of people buying pre-shredded jeans. At that price, a match barrel should be included, instead of some of the external frills like the border on the slide.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:42 PM

I spoke with Bob at NH this morning about a Colt build, and applauded their efforts to produce this.
Glad to see their commitment to building guns for all types of customers.
Wonder if NH provides test target with these, assuming NH has standard for accuracy before delivery to customer.?
Old 04-27-2020, 08:20 PM

Four months and four pages and so far, no one has said anything about accuracy or how it shoots.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPnKC View Post
Wonder if NH provides test target with these, assuming NH has standard for accuracy before delivery to customer.?
Yes, each gun comes with a test target. The one I handled had a target.

For another member that posted a question if anyone shot it, I handled one but turned down the offer to shoot it. The owner (gun writer) shot it plenty of times and he had nothing but glowing report. I'm sure it shoots just like most other high end 1911s. Half an hour after our meeting, I shot my Beretta 92X Centurion. Didn't even shoot my Vickers gun.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:53 PM

I wonder if it is possible to substitute a more traditional, all black sulfide finish rather than the faked worn finish ?
Old 05-11-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Booth View Post
I wonder if it is possible to substitute a more traditional, all black sulfide finish rather than the faked worn finish ?
Kind of voids the concept, don't you think?
Old 05-12-2020, 07:17 PM

Man, I really do want one of these. Absolutely beautiful!
Old 05-12-2020, 07:41 PM

Not even close, old doc. A basic/retro style gun doesn't need some kind of faked worn finish for the concept to work. I can wear my own finish, thank you, from many holster draws and real life usage.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not even close, old doc. A basic/retro style gun doesn't need some kind of faked worn finish for the concept to work. I can wear my own finish, thank you, from many holster draws and real life usage.
But today, instant gratification is more important than actual character wear.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I assume you know that if you send them your Colt, they will do it any way you want. These are their Colts, that they bought to offer a product, they thought would appeal to people and apparently they do. If it doesn't appeal to you, send them your gun and tell them how you want it. Your original question would be like saying to a Ford dealer, "I really like your Mustang but could you make one that looks more like a Camaro?" I have no problem with your wanting to create your own worn look but some of us are at an age, where we may not have the time left to accomplish that, so it's nice to have the option of them doing it for you.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:04 AM

I have not been around for many years, my hobby had a turn to guitars a few years ago (crazy expensive hobby)...

But, after seeing this Colt Hawk I had to get into the game again, it really has the Colt Nostalgia to it with the really nice upgrades to make a comfortable and reliable carry gun.

I see people comparing it to Alchemy, or WC or NH standard line ups.. IMO, apples to oranges. Every 1911 enthusiast should have a Colt - looks like a Colt, shoots like a Colt, Colt written on the slide... The Achemy, WC, NH, etc... are SUPERB guns, but they are modern 1911 STYLE guns, this Colt Hawk really brings the 1911 looks and vibe to the table...

Well, that is my opinion and I cannot wait to get my hands on one

Last edited by brzusa.1911; 05-13-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
They can finish the gun in their standard black nitrite. It will be a custom order so you will have to send them the base gun. Currently the Colt Classic O1911C is selling for about $750 OTD. Nighthawk will charge you about $2000 to do the identical work with your pistol and black nitrite.

So you are looking at $750 OTD and then $50 shipping to NightHawk $2,000 and return shipping. So lets call it $2850 vs the the $2599 MSRP of the worn finish. If you are patient and know who to deal with you can get them less than MSRP. I have an order for one that will get me out under MSRP shipped and transferred. This illustrates the value that Nighthawk has built into these guns. I am basically paying less than $600 for the base gun. Gunsmiths at the same level of NightHawk will charge you $1,900 to $2,200 for the same work on your base gun. I have priced out sleeper builds in the past so I know what they run. As point of comparison Harrison charges $2485 with a Kart barrel for his Retro package. His book is closed and most likely will never reopen.

I totally understand you don't like the finish but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater. It would not be my first choice of finish but the value in the package cannot be denied. IMHO

Last edited by rellascout; 05-15-2020 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
What' condition 1 got to do with it?
I'd guess the implication is that the spur length and/or hammer shape is of minimal consequence beyond cosmetic desire for the pistol to look original, as the hammer should (rightly so) be back always.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:37 PM

My LGS received one of the new colts from NH and it really is a beautiful gun. I'm not sure, but it seems to be a ionbond finish with a very small amount of a patina look.

The trigger and front gold sight were really nice.

The only downside to me was the typical amount of side to side slide play that colt has.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireslayer View Post
My LGS received one of the new colts from NH and it really is a beautiful gun. I'm not sure, but it seems to be a ionbond finish with a very small amount of a patina look.

The trigger and front gold sight were really nice.

The only downside to me was the typical amount of side to side slide play that colt has.
It is a smoked nitride finish.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:03 PM

Finish aside. That's a lot of scratch for a pistol that has exactly none of the features I want in a 1911.

You guys can have mine. I'll be passing on this gun.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Finish aside. That's a lot of scratch for a pistol that has exactly none of the features I want in a 1911.

You guys can have mine. I'll be passing on this gun.
Different strokes for different folks. I picked mine up Thurs. Pretty much everything I wanted in a sleeper retro build. I love the short carry beavertail and the serrations are nice with just enough texture to them. I shot it yesterday and it is dead on. More accurate than I am and the trigger work is excellent. 100% reliable out of the box.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:26 PM

Nice looking rig!
Old 05-25-2020, 08:37 AM

Just placed my order this AM. Can’t wait!