Factory .45ACP Small Primer? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-01-2020, 09:24 PM

Factory .45ACP Small Primer?

I know a lot of folks don't like small primer brass. I do because I can leave my Dillon 550B set for small primer when changing to 9mm, .357/.38, etc.

I'm planning to purchase factory ammo to break in a new 1911 and would much prefer to buy small primer ammo so I can use the empty brass. None of the sites I've checked specify primer size. Any ideas?
Old 03-01-2020, 10:08 PM

Federal Syntech uses small primers. That's the only one I know of for sure. A see a lot of negative comments about small primers in .45 but I have never had the slightest issue with Syntech, so far anyway.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Old 03-02-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
I know a lot of folks don't like small primer brass. I do because I can leave my Dillon 550B set for small primer when changing to 9mm, .357/.38, etc.

I'm planning to purchase factory ammo to break in a new 1911 and would much prefer to buy small primer ammo so I can use the empty brass. None of the sites I've checked specify primer size. Any ideas?
You are in the unique position of just starting out and donít have piles of large primed brass. Thatís what pisses most of us off. We have spent years amassing our pile of gold and some weirdo with plans to save the planet tosses in a sprinkling of small primed crap. Speer lawman, Blazer and a couple others have small primed. You can also search several ďonce firedĒ sites that have it separated. The other part of the problem is that the manufacturers refuse to standardize production. Small primed has been around for awhile now and they prefer to slowly let it leak into the supply line. Take your pick, Iím not disciplined enough to try and manage both, plus my eyes donít like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2020, 08:49 AM

I'm not in a unique position or just starting out. I am in the midst of processing about 3K of large primer .45ACP brass that I have accumulated over the past 10-12 years. I have also accumulated about 8-10K of small primer brass that I bought as once fired. Since few wanted it, it was easy to buy.

Since the large primer brass was accumulated several years ago, there is very little, if any, small primer mixed in.

I appreciate those who avoid small primer brass because it makes it easier for me. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy whatever break-in ammo I can find and throw the brass in with my other large primer stuff.

I'm probably also in the minority here since I primarily use my cast bullets for practice. For carry I want my guns to work with standard self defens ammo that I have tested in those guns.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:39 PM

Most of my .45 Small is from Blazer Brass.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:06 AM

Bought some of the Federal black not realizing it was small primer. Runs well but I didn't even bother to pick it up after I shot at the range. I'm sure it's fine if you want to deal with it. I just have so much large primer brass and ammo that I don't want to have to sort it...
Old 03-03-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I'm not in a unique position or just starting out. I am in the midst of processing about 3K of large primer .45ACP brass that I have accumulated over the past 10-12 years. I have also accumulated about 8-10K of small primer brass that I bought as once fired. Since few wanted it, it was easy to buy.

Since the large primer brass was accumulated several years ago, there is very little, if any, small primer mixed in.

I appreciate those who avoid small primer brass because it makes it easier for me. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy whatever break-in ammo I can find and throw the brass in with my other large primer stuff.

I'm probably also in the minority here since I primarily use my cast bullets for practice. For carry I want my guns to work with standard self defens ammo that I have tested in those guns.
Youíre in fine shape. Nearly 15K cases combined. I wouldnít worry about it. Buy some more from sites that offer it separated when you find it. Your supply will outlive you if you casually add to it.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:09 AM

Federal/Blazer/American Eagle/Estate is now nearly all small primer.
I've been lead to believe many of the euro imports are small primer as well as all the "environmentally safe" loadings.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:33 AM

I haven't seen imported .45 Small but yes, the small primer was first put in with the lead free Dinol primer. I think they are also loading ammo with small lead styphnate primers just because they have the brass available.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:41 AM

I guess at this stage there is nothing any of us can do about it. Iíll be worm food way before small primed completely takes over and people start bitching about the occasional dag blasted large primed 45 they found. ďCan you believe they actually used to put large primers in this roundĒ.......Iíll roll over at that point!
Old 03-04-2020, 08:28 AM

These people that decided to put small primers in .45 ACP brass should be put in stocks, humiliated by day and forced to endure unspeakable acts at night.

Last edited by Autonomous; 03-04-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I know a lot of folks don't like small primer brass. I do because I can leave my Dillon 550B set for small primer when changing to 9mm, .357/.38, etc.?
I also keep about 1k sm primer 45acp brass around in case I don't feel like swapping over. or in case I ever run out of LPP's in a crunch I'd rather have LPP 9mm but that aint happening! ...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Most of my .45 Small is from Blazer Brass.
Same here
Old 03-04-2020, 01:02 PM

After my posts in favor of small primer .45ACP, I found another stash of large primer. There must have been about 1500 Federal and about the same amount of Starline., all once fired. I don't remember buying either.

My arm is about worn out processing so far so I may have to change the Dillon over to larger primer to cut down on the handle strokes.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:20 PM

If you wanted to have some SPP brass for the reasons you stated, it's easy to trade for LPP brass. I've swapped both directions in the past... sometimes you can get 1.5-2 x SPP for LPP.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
If you wanted to have some SPP brass for the reasons you stated, it's easy to trade for LPP brass. I've swapped both directions in the past... sometimes you can get 1.5-2 x SPP for LPP.
I've considered that but I also reload for my sons 45 and if he doesn't find the brass in the grass it's no big deal if it is large primer.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:43 AM

Keep it up you guys!
At this rate there will be plenty of the big stuff for me!
Old 03-05-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Keep it up you guys!
At this rate there will be plenty of the big stuff for me!
Just making some lemonade! Hope your stash is plentiful!
Old 03-07-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
These people that decided to put small primers in .45 ACP brass should be put in stocks, humiliated by day and forced to endure unspeakable acts at night.
They should be forced to watch a USPS or IDPA .45 match without hearing protection.

I don't like small primer brass, just because it's a pain to have to separate it from the large primer brass and reload it separately. I've managed to live off range brass to feed my .45, as long as it isn't an aluminum case, I'll pick it up. I get a lot of life out of .45 cases, low pressure and I don't do hot loads for it. I've got my 10mm 1911 for those.

OP, have you tried Everglades Ammo to see about SPB for your .45? I haven't ordered .45 brass from them, but get most all of my other brass there. They also sell new brass, as well as once-fired. All the new brass I've gotten is Hornady headstamp.
[B]Ooops, note:, just looked at their website, their once-fired brass is a mix of small/large primer, and their new brass is large primer. Sorry.

IDK how the Dillion press works, don't you size your cases when you deprime them, and is the caseholder the same for your press in those calibers?. I guess I'm in the Stone Age with my single stage Hornady press.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:23 AM

I use the small primer brass at larger USPSA matches where they don't pick up brass. I thought it might sell for less then large primer but the places I've seen both offered (once fired or range brass) the price is the same.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Could save some money and buy once fired small primed brass instead.
https://www.nereloading.com/index.ph...-cleaning.html
Old 03-10-2020, 03:01 PM

I wasn't really willing to pay extra for small primer ammo. I've got a lot of small primer that I bought once fired. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've got quite a bit large primer too.

I looked at the link. That is a good source of small primer .45's. I'll have to try it sometime.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:14 AM

Small primed brass should be square so it can be easily identified!
Old 03-11-2020, 08:53 AM

Large or small, I take it all.

I don't have one of those fancy brass feeders on my LnL. I inspect every piece going through my press. Turn it up-side-down to look at primer size/brand/crimp and tip out any remaining tumbling media or range target paper and give it a quick twist feeling for rips or tears etc. Once it passes this quick inspection, it goes into the press for loading, or into the bucket of SPP brass.
Paul
Old 03-11-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer61 View Post

I don't have one of those fancy brass feeders on my LnL. I inspect every piece going through my press. Turn it up-side-down to look at primer size/brand/crimp and tip out any remaining tumbling media or range target paper and give it a quick twist feeling for rips or tears etc. Once it passes this quick inspection, it goes into the press for loading, or into the bucket of SPP brass.
AHA! Competition for SPP .45 brass.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer61 View Post

Exactly what I do with all pistol calibers I reload. I also have a LNL.