Picked up my EVO-KC9-LW - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-29-2020, 05:58 AM
Kelso Kelso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Picked up my EVO-KC9-LW

Shot my 1st Ed Brown last Monday, a .45 Kobra Carry custom ordered by me. I loved it so much I came home and ordered an EVO so I would have a 9mm CCW option (I have a Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm, but it is back at Dan Wesson for the slide not locking back on empty).

Anyway, I picked up the EVO last night, and I'm pleasantly surprised and happy with the gun upon inspection. I wouldn't call myself a 1911 purist by any means, as I have Micro Kimbers and a 3" barrel Colt Defender which 1911 purists scoff at. I initially kinda passed over the EVO just because I am not accustomed to external extractors. But after shooting the Kobra Carry and then coming back and looking for a 9mm I thought the price point wasworth getting over the external extractor, plus I read up on it and saw some positives.

So, here I am for the 2nd time in a week about to go break in a new Ed Brown pistol. I will go to the range on Monday and vet the gun with hopes of taking a Tac-Pistol training class with it next weekend where we will run through 800 rounds of ammo.

High hopes yet again! Will report back after a range trip, and will add some pics as well.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-29-2020, 06:17 AM
Dddrees Dddrees is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
Shot my 1st Ed Brown last Monday, a .45 Kobra Carry custom ordered by me. I loved it so much I came home and ordered an EVO so I would have a 9mm CCW option (I have a Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm, but it is back at Dan Wesson for the slide not locking back on empty).

Anyway, I picked up the EVO last night, and I'm pleasantly surprised and happy with the gun upon inspection. I wouldn't call myself a 1911 purist by any means, as I have Micro Kimbers and a 3" barrel Colt Defender which 1911 purists scoff at. I initially kinda passed over the EVO just because I am not accustomed to external extractors. But after shooting the Kobra Carry and then coming back and looking for a 9mm I thought the price point wasworth getting over the external extractor, plus I read up on it and saw some positives.

So, here I am for the 2nd time in a week about to go break in a new Ed Brown pistol. I will go to the range on Monday and vet the gun with hopes of taking a Tac-Pistol training class with it next weekend where we will run through 800 rounds of ammo.

High hopes yet again! Will report back after a range trip, and will add some pics as well.
Congrats!!

If not for my Dan Wesson VBob I would probably get one. I do so want an Ed Brown at some point.

I have to imagine although it's considered the least costly option if on an Ed Brown it has to work reliably enough or they wouldn't use it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-29-2020, 09:56 AM
Kelso Kelso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
Congrats!!

If not for my Dan Wesson VBob I would probably get one. I do so want an Ed Brown at some point.

I have to imagine although it's considered the least costly option if on an Ed Brown it has to work reliably enough or they wouldn't use it.
From what I gathered, if my memory serves me right, is that the external extractor does not need tuning, it is essentially plug and play. Now mind you, I have I think 10 1911's now, 9 with internal extractors and I've yet to ever need to touch one. So I dunno, but alas, my reading helped me get over my internal struggle with external extractors.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-29-2020, 10:11 AM
Kelso Kelso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
I initially switched from the stainless KC9 (initial order) to the LW KC9, figuring to put into CCW service I might as well go for light as possible. I weighed it against my current EDC, a .45 Dan Wesson ECP. Both were chambered and had a full magazine in them, so full weight as carried.

EVO: 915g (32.2757oz, or 2.01723lbs.)
ECP: 1009g (35.59143oz or 2.22446lbs.)

So, 3.3oz's lighter is the EVO. That's not as much as I'd have expected.

Also noted concerning concealed carry...the DW ECP is slim gripped, but I also have a DW Guardian that I changed the grips out on with some VZ slim grips, and I noticed that the ECP's grips are wider than true slims, falling somewhere between regular grips and slims. The EVO is definitely slim gripped, so there is a little girth saving for my hip compared to the ECP. I did not pull out the calipers though. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-29-2020, 10:12 AM
Dddrees Dddrees is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
From what I gathered, if my memory serves me right, is that the external extractor does not need tuning, it is essentially plug and play. Now mind you, I have I think 10 1911's now, 9 with internal extractors and I've yet to ever need to touch one. So I dunno, but alas, my reading helped me get over my internal struggle with external extractors.
Got to admit that I have absolutely no idea at this point other than I heard it's a cheaper solution. But other than that I've heard nothing that would cause me to worry about it one way or another. All I know is every time I see one I think about getting one but since I already have a VBob and I have others in govt size I want more. If it were available when I got my VBob I probably would have gotten one of those instead.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-29-2020, 12:35 PM
gordyt gordyt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Humble, TX
Posts: 116
Kelso that is what I had heard too. My first experience with them on 1911's was with two different ones that were built by S&W. I still have them and they have been trouble-free.

But I see that both Ed Brown (on the Evo's) and Wilson (on the EDC series) are using them. (Of course the EDC's also lose the grip safety, and I don't think that Wilson calls them a 1911).

In any event, I'm OK with an external extractor, even though most of my 1911's do not have that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-29-2020, 01:11 PM
azguy1911 azguy1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Scottsdale
Age: 54
Posts: 1,820
The EVO's have been out for some time now and I have not heard of any problems. I think in the very early beginning there were a few issues and I can't even recall what they were but nothing compared to the current G44 and early P365 issues that were rampant nearly everyday.

And tons of guys own the EDC X9's (in fact I just picked up a EDC X9S) and I have not heard of a single issues involving the extractor and those have been out there a good 24-30 months at this point.

While I'm not a huge fan of Ed Brown's attitude and CS channel they make a hell of a gun and they wouldn't have launched and invested so much in the series/line unless they were 100,000% sure they had it dead perfect.

I'm also a Kobra Carry owner and I'll have to say there is no prettier stainless than Brown stainless and if I was broke and homeless one of the last guns I would sell would be my KC.
__________________
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Les Baer Stinger, Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-29-2020, 01:21 PM
J Scott's Avatar
J Scott J Scott is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: TN
Posts: 1,014
I've shot around 500 rounds through my EVO E9, and not one single issue. Completely satisfied.
__________________
NRA Endowment Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-29-2020, 03:13 PM
Kelso Kelso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
All great news, I have high hopes. I plan to hit the range with it on Monday!

Also, someone mentioned EB's CS process. I too prefer to get someone on the phone when I have an issue. On both my EB's I never got a Fed Ex tracking number so I went through their online process for contacting them and every time they were very responsive.

I also changed my order from the stainless KC9 to the LW KC9 the morning after I initially put in the order, and this was all done through e-mail as well and the change went through with no issues. I'm sure that if I wanted to actually get them on the phone all I would have to do is request a call and they would do it. Actually, I did speak to them on the phone a few times when I spec's my Kobra Carry out for the build.

So, their process has worked to my satisfaction thus far.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-29-2020, 03:16 PM
Kelso Kelso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
The EVO's have been out for some time now and I have not heard of any problems. I think in the very early beginning there were a few issues and I can't even recall what they were but nothing compared to the current G44 and early P365 issues that were rampant nearly everyday.

And tons of guys own the EDC X9's (in fact I just picked up a EDC X9S) and I have not heard of a single issues involving the extractor and those have been out there a good 24-30 months at this point.

While I'm not a huge fan of Ed Brown's attitude and CS channel they make a hell of a gun and they wouldn't have launched and invested so much in the series/line unless they were 100,000% sure they had it dead perfect.

I'm also a Kobra Carry owner and I'll have to say there is no prettier stainless than Brown stainless and if I was broke and homeless one of the last guns I would sell would be my KC.

Since it my thread I'm gonna steer it off the rails....I want a Volkmann pretty bad. Can you give me the thoughts on yours?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-29-2020, 08:21 PM
azguy1911 azguy1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Scottsdale
Age: 54
Posts: 1,820
Kelso, the fit and finish is magnificent, just the quality one would imagine from a custom shop but at a semi-custom price.

The slide is buttery smooth and overall I couldn't be more pleased. He's a pretty nice guy too. I tagged him in an Instagram post when I got the gun and he sent me a personalized DM thanking me and saying to contact him if I had any questions.

CS and personal-service is another reason I choose NH for my Colt, Bob Reeves has answered the phone each time I have called him (my sales guy gave me his direct # as I had some question on if they/we should do a ramped barrel) and he has spent at least 30 minutes on the phone with me discussing the build.

I sent my sales contact an email saying the gun had shipped and then I got an email from Bob saying he would be on the watch for the gun, would email me when it arrived and was anxious to get started on my build. Thoroughly impressed as I'm a nobody.
__________________
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Les Baer Stinger, Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-01-2020, 07:37 AM
Kelso Kelso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
Kelso, the fit and finish is magnificent, just the quality one would imagine from a custom shop but at a semi-custom price.

The slide is buttery smooth and overall I couldn't be more pleased. He's a pretty nice guy too. I tagged him in an Instagram post when I got the gun and he sent me a personalized DM thanking me and saying to contact him if I had any questions.

CS and personal-service is another reason I choose NH for my Colt, Bob Reeves has answered the phone each time I have called him (my sales guy gave me his direct # as I had some question on if they/we should do a ramped barrel) and he has spent at least 30 minutes on the phone with me discussing the build.

I sent my sales contact an email saying the gun had shipped and then I got an email from Bob saying he would be on the watch for the gun, would email me when it arrived and was anxious to get started on my build. Thoroughly impressed as I'm a nobody.
You refer to Nighthawk here...I was wondering about your Volkmann. I'm friends with Luke Volkmann on Facebook and he has responded to me there a few times and he seems as nice as can be.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-03-2020, 05:54 PM
Kelso Kelso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
348 rounds downrange yesterday, 1FTE, but on the mag it happened with I was changing my grip around playing with placement since the grip is so much thinner than normal. I may have limp wristed. Once I got the grip I liked there were no further issues.

I'm taking a tac-pistol class this weekend where we will shoot 800 rounds over the 2 days, I have nominated this gun for that duty. If all goes well through the class that will be almost 1200 rounds downrange and I will bless it as my new primary carry gun.

Loving my two EB's!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-09-2020, 07:52 AM
Kelso Kelso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Well, I'm back from taking Tac Pistol training from Paul Howe at Combat Shooting and Tactics (CSAT). We identified proper mechanics and fundamentals and I came home with a punch list of things to practice until it is second nature/natural. Wonderful class and experience.

I ran the KC9 in the class, we rapid fired, shot in various positions, and from behind cover structures, basically a bevy of scenarios. The KC9 ran through all of it without a single issue, not even any small operational issues. As a matter of fact, the gun ran so flawless that the only thing I can think to mention is that after a few hundred rounds I had to tighten the grip screws.

Awesome gun, I am overly happy with it, and can happily recommend it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-09-2020, 07:59 AM
J Scott's Avatar
J Scott J Scott is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: TN
Posts: 1,014
__________________
NRA Endowment Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-16-2020, 03:53 PM
YoitsJT YoitsJT is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
I initially switched from the stainless KC9 (initial order) to the LW KC9, figuring to put into CCW service I might as well go for light as possible. I weighed it against my current EDC, a .45 Dan Wesson ECP. Both were chambered and had a full magazine in them, so full weight as carried.

EVO: 915g (32.2757oz, or 2.01723lbs.)
ECP: 1009g (35.59143oz or 2.22446lbs.)

So, 3.3oz's lighter is the EVO. That's not as much as I'd have expected.

Also noted concerning concealed carry...the DW ECP is slim gripped, but I also have a DW Guardian that I changed the grips out on with some VZ slim grips, and I noticed that the ECP's grips are wider than true slims, falling somewhere between regular grips and slims. The EVO is definitely slim gripped, so there is a little girth saving for my hip compared to the ECP. I did not pull out the calipers though. :-)
Hey Kelso, I was actually looking between the ECP and the LW EVO. Currently I have a VBob and I love it but I'm looking for something a little lighter. Do you think the Brown is worth the extra $500+/- over the ECP?
__________________
The Star Spangled Banner is THE best song in the world!

Last edited by YoitsJT; 04-16-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-18-2020, 07:55 PM
Kelso Kelso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsJT View Post
Hey Kelso, I was actually looking between the ECP and the LW EVO. Currently I have a VBob and I love it but I'm looking for something a little lighter. Do you think the Brown is worth the extra $500+/- over the ECP?
Yes.

I like the ECP, but may be a bit jaded because both it and the Dan Wesson Guardian I have had to be sent back for work after purchase. Since all this Corona virus stuff has happened I have not gotten the ECP back to the range to verify if its problems were really remedied by being sent back.

What I do know is that the Ed Brown KC9 has run flawless right out of the box, is thinner, and after initial break-in and then taking a class with it with no issues I trust it to be my CCW. It goes bang everytime. I would buy the KC9 again in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-18-2020, 09:35 PM
YoitsJT YoitsJT is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso View Post

Yes.

I like the ECP, but may be a bit jaded because both it and the Dan Wesson Guardian I have had to be sent back for work after purchase. Since all this Corona virus stuff has happened I have not gotten the ECP back to the range to verify if its problems were really remedied by being sent back.

What I do know is that the Ed Brown KC9 has run flawless right out of the box, is thinner, and after initial break-in and then taking a class with it with no issues I trust it to be my CCW. It goes bang everytime. I would buy the KC9 again in a heartbeat.
Thanks for the response and I, like you, am not accustomed to external extractors on 1911s so I passed on the EVO as well. Instead, I purchased a Shot Show Special Forces for the same price as a KC9. I am picking it up this Thursday but I'm already eying the KC9 LW after your review. My wife if going to be really pleased to hear that LOL
__________________
The Star Spangled Banner is THE best song in the world!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-19-2020, 10:52 PM
TobiasRathein TobiasRathein is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsJT View Post

Hey Kelso, I was actually looking between the ECP and the LW EVO. Currently I have a VBob and I love it but I'm looking for something a little lighter. Do you think the Brown is worth the extra $500+/- over the ECP?
Go with the Ed Brown and don't look back. I've owned six Dan Wessons (and am down to 1 now) but I will never sell the EB that I own.

I'm debating on what Ed Brown 1911 I want next. Maybe they'll get into this double stack market with their Evo series and make me happier than a pig in ****.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved