1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-25-2020, 09:49 AM

New "CCO" sight questions - shoots high

Greetings,

I was about to pull the trigger on a new Vigil CCO when I stumbled on a deal on a "CCO" at $300 off, so now I am the proud new owner of a Dan Wesson. Man this is one fine 1911. Love the "scalloped" grip on it. My understanding is this is a discontinued model and I have "new old stock" although I don't know how old.

I had my first break in session yesterday. I shoot quite well, well enough to establish my POI is higher than I would like at my preferred hold. I am 2" high at 7 yards which is working out to 7" high at 18 yards. I have not tried farther than that. When I examine the weapon I am not surprised. The front sight sits much lower than I am used to seeing, the tritium dot is nearly right on top of the slide.

This does not disturb me much as I already had a desire to change the front sight to a night sight with the bright orange outline, my 55 year old eyes pick them up faster.

So to the questions:

What size cut out am I looking for? Any idea the height of the existing DW sight, and/or how much higher I would need to go to achieve the correction I am looking for? Any suggestions on an orange front night sight? I tried but could not find one to fit my Kimber. Should I wait a while, is POI going to change as the weapon breaks in?

Weapon ran great by the way, very sweet, I had only 1 failure to return to battery which I am attributing to break in at this time.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Old 02-25-2020, 10:26 AM

Are you aligning the top edges of the sights or are you aligning the tritium dots???

You should be aligning the top edges of the front and rear sights. If you are aligning the tritium dots, that is likely the culprit.

FWIW.....2" hi at 7 yds does not translate to 7" hi at 18 yd. It's more like 5.14.

Last edited by TRSOtto; 02-25-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:16 AM

Put a RDS on the gun, put the red dot on the target and pull the trigger. No more of this questioning the height of front/rear site, no more question about where to put the front site or the tritium insert. Red dot on the target is POA=POI. What could be easier?
Just sayin'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 11:50 AM

Dawson Precision offers replacement sights and a table to select the correct size. www.dawsonprecision.com
Old 02-25-2020, 12:07 PM

Out of 21 DW 1911’s, about half of them have shot really high and needed a taller front sight.

You need a .180” front sight. If you contact DW, they’ll switch your front sights out for free. If you want to do it yourself, you’ll need a sight that fits a Novak dovetail.

EDIT— just saw you have the old CCO and not the Vigil. Depending on the year it was made, you may need a front sight that fits a Springfield cut. What year is your gun?

Last edited by tc215; 02-25-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:28 PM

Why not call Dan Wesson describe what is going on and give them your serial number .
They should let you know what the correct sight is.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc215 View Post
Out of 21 DW 1911’s, about half of them have shot really high and needed a taller front sight.

You need a .180” front sight. If you contact DW, they’ll switch your front sights out for free. If you want to do it yourself, you’ll need a sight that fits a Novak dovetail.

EDIT— just saw you have the old CCO and not the Vigil. Depending on the year it was made, you may need a front sight that fits a Springfield cut. What year is your gun?
Good information, thanks. My CCO is brand new old stock, have no idea when it was made or even when they discontinued the CCO. The .180 information is very helpful, how did you arrive at that may I ask? Do you happen to know the height of the existing sight which is almost right on top of the slide? I am guessing I need about 1/8" taller.

I may contact DW but I really want the orange front which they do not offer, I had planned on changing that anyway, so size and height information is very helpful.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:47 AM

This is the best way. I'm a rifle guy and like 6 o'clock hold not COM. I buy what i want for a rear and then shoot and calculate what to buy for the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd63 View Post
Dawson Precision offers replacement sights and a table to select the correct size. www.dawsonprecision.com
Old 02-26-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
My CCO is brand new old stock, have no idea when it was made or even when they discontinued the CC.
The first two numbers of your serial number should give you the year of manufacturer.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Good information, thanks. My CCO is brand new old stock, have no idea when it was made or even when they discontinued the CCO. The .180 information is very helpful, how did you arrive at that may I ask? Do you happen to know the height of the existing sight which is almost right on top of the slide? I am guessing I need about 1/8" taller.

I may contact DW but I really want the orange front which they do not offer, I had planned on changing that anyway, so size and height information is very helpful.
DW normally uses a .140” or .160” front sight, depending on the model (at least they used to). A .180” front sight fixed all of mine that were shooting way high.

I’m thinking DW offers an orange front sight now. You may want to check.

Also, if you post the first few digits of the S/N, we can tell you what year it was made.

Quote:
The first two numbers of your serial number should give you the year of manufacturer.
Not necessarily. Depends on the year. S/N formats have changed several times.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:32 PM

My CCO and Guardian both shot way too high. I sent the slides back to DW and 7 or 8 days later got them back with .180" front sights. Problem solved. POI at 25 yards is just over the top of the front sight.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:10 AM

Lots of really good help here, thank you all.

The first three of my serial are "170" so I guess it was made in 2017.

If I go to a different front sight entirely what size do dovetail do I need? The DW option certainly sounds more convenient I will check with them about orange.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:36 AM

I’m not sure where DW zeros their sights. But 2” high at 7 yards would likely give you a heart shot aiming at center mass in a defensive shoot.
Any idea where POI is at 25 yeards?

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 02-27-2020, 09:24 AM

test fire, measure and calculate.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Lots of really good help here, thank you all.

The first three of my serial are "170" so I guess it was made in 2017.

If I go to a different front sight entirely what size do dovetail do I need? The DW option certainly sounds more convenient I will check with them about orange.
2017 models use a Novak front sight cut.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:05 PM

Also, I did confirm, DW does have the orange front sights now. They use them on the new Valors/VBOBs.