Picked up my new custom spec’d Kobra Carry - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-22-2020, 05:58 PM

Picked up my new custom spec’d Kobra Carry

Back a few months ago I got a wild hair and decided I wanted a full custom. I have several 1911’s, some with extensive smith work but most I like to leave alone, except for grips. Mostly I’ve got Dan Wesson’s and Springfields, with a Colt mixed in. So it was time to step it up a bit I figured.

So I spec’d out a Kobra Carry just the way I figured I’d want it. I’ve yet to shoot it since I just received it yesterday, but it’s on the agenda for next week.

So far the only thing I’m not 100% on is the oversized mag release I got on it. I already have a standard one on the way from Ed Brown so I can decide for sure.

Anyway, I have high hopes. On to some quick pics I took as I was about to disassemble for initial cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
F4CBED1D-08B6-4C49-AD2C-F8486BBBAEF5_1582415798166.jpeg   856D8B24-E677-4E75-9BC6-F8A37A917200_1582415818327.jpeg   EA866FE2-D6C8-4001-AB4A-5F6E958F8B02_1582415830185.jpeg   42A3A54E-58B8-4986-B4C1-86F226EEB023_1582415853311.jpeg  
Old 02-22-2020, 06:13 PM

Great choice and sharp looking gun but I'd ditch the over-sized mag release pretty quick
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: ACW Brimstone, Les Baer Stinger, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, NH T4, NH Counselor and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, DW Guardian, WC Sentinel Compact....and oh 3 mid 70's Colt Commanders out for a builds; NH, KGB and Mr. Yost.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
Great choice and sharp looking gun but I'd ditch the over-sized mag release pretty quick
Yep, that was my guffaw. Having never actually seen one I thought I'd try it, and at the gun store counter when I was inspecting the gun upon pickup I pretty much immediately knew it was a no-go, especially if I ever conceal carry this gun as it would be easier to accidentally depress and disengage the magazine while on my hip. The button does tuck in and kinda recess with the contours of my holster, but still... Had a normal one on the way as soon as I got home and to their website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 07:32 PM

One fine EB right there! As I used to say on here, 'Pistolicious!"

Sincerely,

PastorDW
Old 02-22-2020, 07:45 PM

Much respect for the Kobra Carry. I'd be proud to make one my EDC pistola.

Good call on the mag release swap.

Great looking gun. Best looking stainless in the bidness.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:29 AM

Congratulations on an excellent 1911 and having it built to your specifications-especially with your name on the slide. The carbon fiber grips look great on EB's beautiful stainless steel. Love how they perfectly align the carry and ball end cuts, too. Looks like you custom spec'd your guide rod as well. Looking forward to range report.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:07 AM

Nice gat!
Old 02-23-2020, 03:42 PM

Nice choice! If your concern is to reach the mag release "efficiently," I like the grips that have a little thumb cutout/relief there so it is easier. YMMV.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsporting View Post
Nice choice! If your concern is to reach the mag release "efficiently," I like the grips that have a little thumb cutout/relief there so it is easier. YMMV.
There is no worry about reaching the release, I just spec'd the oversized release out of curiosity. Perhaps I could have researched it more and gone digging through the internet for pictures of said piece, but I didn't. At the time I had no qualms about it, but after handling it I opine that is indeed too large, so I'll take the 3 minutes required and swap it out when the new part gets here.

I hope to go shoot the gun tomorrow....err, today rather (its after midnight here).

I'd initially spec'd and planned to use the gun as a CCW, but I'm pretty content with my Dan Wesson ECP on my hip so this one probably won't get put in the rotation for the forseeable future. If all goes well through break-in I may use it in a tactical pistol class I'm taking next month. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:43 PM

I shot the new gun today, I always take a notepad with me to jot down issues when they happen. My first entry was “Holy Elation!”

This gun is awesome! Glides like oil on ice, no real issues through the first 200 rounds.

I had become accustomed to the finicky break-in and operation of Dan Wesson’s, and this gun makes them look like bottom of the barrel junkers.

So now I’m eyeing an Evo LW.

Love this gun.

Photo is of the 1st 100 or so rounds at 15 feet. Gun is accurate and magazine makes no difference in the gun, it ran em all.
Attached Thumbnails
FBD40DCB-E361-453A-A5D0-47E867F4B18F_1582591412775.jpeg  
Old 02-24-2020, 07:23 PM

Forgot to add.... the oversized magazine release that I’m changing out took care of itself, LOL. I guess with all the recoil that the screw backed out and the screw and oversized button fell off in my hand while shooting. I just left it as-is since my new button will be here Wednesday. I guess the gun heard my reservations about the big button and discarded it on its own. ; )
Old 02-24-2020, 07:39 PM

Well, now I have an EVO KC9 in stainless steel coming my way. It’s a disease I tell ya!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:19 PM

No surprise, but very glad you are pleased after your range trip!

Congrats on your EVO KC9 SS, too!! I am totally pleased with my EVO. It's their E9 model.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
Well, now I have an EVO KC9 in stainless steel coming my way. Itís a disease I tell ya!
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: ACW Brimstone, Les Baer Stinger, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, NH T4, NH Counselor and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, DW Guardian, WC Sentinel Compact....and oh 3 mid 70's Colt Commanders out for a builds; NH, KGB and Mr. Yost.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:54 PM

She's a beauty!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:34 PM

Thank all. I actually got in contact with EdBrown Co. today and changed my order to the EVO-KC9-LW. My plan is to make it my 9mm EDC on those days I don’t want to carry the .45, and after mulling it over last night I decided that for EDC that lighter would be better, hence my order change to the light weight.

Hopefully it ships out tomorrow. ����
Old 02-28-2020, 09:31 AM

Kelso thank you for your business and welcome to the family. Be nice to have your review and photos for our social media to share with our other followers. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you my contact info.. Just PM me here to get started..
Old 05-15-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
I shot the new gun today, I always take a notepad with me to jot down issues when they happen. My first entry was ďHoly Elation!Ē

This gun is awesome! Glides like oil on ice, no real issues through the first 200 rounds.

I had become accustomed to the finicky break-in and operation of Dan Wessonís, and this gun makes them look like bottom of the barrel junkers.

So now Iím eyeing an Evo LW.

Love this gun.

Photo is of the 1st 100 or so rounds at 15 feet. Gun is accurate and magazine makes no difference in the gun, it ran em all.
I'm not at ALL surprised. My Kobra Carry is the most accurate and reliable 1911 I own - and I own some good ones! lol It gobbled up 200 rounds on its first trip to the range, and THOUSANDS of rounds since. Without a bobble. Whatta pistol.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:25 PM

Very nice. Hope she works out well for you. Don't like the oversize mag release either. Everything else is thumbs up.

FN HP
Old 06-07-2020, 09:35 AM

My one and only Ed Brown Kobra was the full-size Gov't. Model variant, among the last with Heinie Sights. I had Allan Yoast drop-ship it to EB for an ambi safety install, then shipped on to my FFL all at my expense. My instructions were simple: positive on-off engagement, both paddles/levers of the "competition" ambi. safety being trimmed to the same size as Ed's extended single (RH) safety. What I got was the regular ambi safety, and it was mushy. I called and was told to send it back. I also did not like the rear sight being held on the gun by only LocTite and a set screw since it was a "slip fit" in the dovetail for "convenience in zeroing". When I got the gun back (no apologieis) and all at my sgipping expense, the gun went bye-bye. Maybe they have changed. I have not. Been buying Wilson and NHC since. YMMV. Good luck.