Hackathorn Special Commander Steel Frame - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-22-2020, 11:29 AM

Hackathorn Special Commander Steel Frame

Picked up a new to me steel frame Hackathorn Commander, 45acp to match my light weight, work Hack Commander . Heading to the range now to do some drills (Bill, Mozambique, FAST and Four Aces) to check it out. The steel frame is the bottom pistol in the pics.

This is my first pistol with a Gold Bead front sight. I'm interested in my impressions compared to the Wilson/Ameriglo hi vis on my other pistols.

Weather and schedule are cooperating so off to the range.

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Wilson Combat Hackathorn Special Commanders Feb 2020 5.jpg   Wilson Combat Hackathorn Special Commanders Feb 2020 6.jpg  
Old 02-22-2020, 11:37 AM

They both look fantastic, enjoy your day at the range with two super guns. I love my steel CQB Commander.

Don’t see any snow in your photo?

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-22-2020, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Range time is good, always. Is your gold bead flat or domed?

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 01:55 PM

Those look great, let us know how you like the bead. I have a flat one on one of my guns and it's growing on me
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-23-2020, 07:12 AM

Congratulations! Looking forward to your range report including your impressions re recoil b/w the two
Old 02-23-2020, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

How did the range time go? BTW - you have superb taste in 1911's; blued with walnut grips....classic!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 02-23-2020, 11:00 AM

Range time is always good.

David - We've gotten up to the mid 40's so the snow is mostly gone for now. Still in the low lying areas. I'm sure we're in for one more good one before the season's over.

GP / Striker - I believe this is the domed gold bead. I remember shooting Roger's so I was not hesitant to buy this one as equipped. Jury's still out on the Gold Bead until I get to do some low light shooting with it. I really like the blade being a bit narrower than the Ameriglo. The bead is easy to track in the sunlight. I did shoot a bit under a cover. At that point the sight becomes a black post. I can pick up the Ameriglo a bit faster in that lighting.

J. S. - I can not give a fair comparison between the Aluminum / Steel Hackathorn's at this time. The steel frame is having feeding issues and seems to recoil more than my aluminum CQB Compact. I certain I need to replace the recoil spring.

JW
Attached Thumbnails
2020-02-22 22.26.16.jpg   2020-02-22 22.27.34.jpg  
Old 02-23-2020, 11:03 AM

This pistol would not reliable feed WW white box or Amscor 230 gr. ball consistently. I use Wilson 47D and ETM mags. Usually a failure consisted the slide did not go into battery. On several occasions, the slide would pinch the round between the magazine lips and the feed ramp. With my duty ammo consisting of 230 gr. Federal HST, Remington Golden Saber or Winchester Ranger T JHP the malfunction was always the pinch type. Additionally, the slide did not always lock back on an empty mag.

I certain this a recoil spring issue. I've spoken to the seller, he included a new recoil spring with the package. In my haste to get to the range, I did not bring my usual kit of such parts.

So it almost 50 degrees and sunny. Get a couple things done around the house, turn my head on and take my kit with me and straighten this out.
In no way should this be construed as a slight towards Wilson Combat nor the gent that sold me the pistol. I have a strange ability to break stuff others have no problems with.

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Feb 22, 2020 1.jpg   Feb 22, 2020 4.jpg   Feb 22, 2020 3.jpg  
Old 02-23-2020, 11:18 AM

This pistol is very accurate. I ran a drill from the 12 yd. line. Draw and fire 8 rounds to mag lock, 10 seconds. I ran the drill three times. Used Federal HST ammo. Did experience two malfunctions but she shoot tight.

I'll get it up and running or Wilson will. I have no fear of that!

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Feb 22, 2020 10 yds 2.jpg  
Old 02-23-2020, 11:20 AM

It is a beautiful gun, almost better dirty. That is a domed gold bead.

Curious if the extractor tension may be too tight and it is not allowing the rear of the case to slide up the breach face. Hard to diagnose on the internet.

The Hackathorn Commanders are spec’d out almost identical to the CQB Commander that I ordered in early 2017 and perhaps why I like them so much although mine is in the girly 9mm configuration.

Hope you get the feeding issue sorted out quickly but we all know that Wilson will correct it if needed.

May hit 50 here today but still quite a bit of snow on the ground and more coming mid week. Sure hope the groundhog was right in his prediction as I’m tired of it.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-23-2020, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, domed gold bead. In cloudy conditions, I have no problem seeing it, but night or dusk it will not stand out like the Ameriglo. It has a pretty wide range of lighting it will work in, but as all sight types, has its limitations - always a trade off. I also agree with David about the extractor tension, it may be a bit tight. Often when the failures look like yours, it is because the case cannot slide under the extractor and you get the near-vertical mis-feed I see in your pictures. A stronger recoil spring may not solve that mis-feed, and can make the low-powered stuff like WWB or Armscor ammo fail to fully cycle the slide and give enough dwell time for the mag spring to push the next round up quickly enough for the bolt face to engage it enough to feed at all. Check extractor tension first is my recommendation.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 02-23-2020, 12:28 PM

As above you might want to start with adjusting the extractor and make sure all springs are in spec and the right weight for the gun and not some weird combo
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-23-2020, 06:39 PM

The "new" recoil spring (on the right / half coil longer) that was in the pistol upon my taking possession came in this package. It is advertised as a Wilson Combat 20 lbs. Commander spring. This spring is quite stout when racking the slide. Signigficantly more effort is needed with this spring than any of my other Wilson 45's.

The older recoil spring (on the left) is the OEM spring with 3000 rounds of use on it. I re-installed this spring for today's range time.

I put 165 rounds of WW white box ball using 20 different magazines through the pistol with no malfunctions. Additionally, the slide locked back on every empty magazine. This made me quite happy. On to some Duty ammo.

25 rounds of Remington 230 gr. JHP from three different mags - no malfunctions / slide locked back on empty magazine.

30 rounds of Federal 230 gr. HST jhp for 4 different mags - no malfunctions / slide locked back on empty magazine.

I tested the extractor with a different live rounds from various manufactures as outlined by Hilton Yam. The pistol passed. The recoil was significantly less today than yesterday. This shoots very much like a steel frame 5" Govt with hot loads now. Yesterday I though I had a 45 Magnum.

I'll need to get about 200 rounds of Duty ammo through the pistol without issue before I'll carry it but I'm much relieved. Still talking with Steve Kelly tomorrow for some advise.

I'm wondering if the spring was miss labeled. I did not get around to testing the Nighthawk 22 lbs. flatwire springs I have on had.

Thanks to all for the advice. Much appreciated as I'm just a gun bunny, no gunsmithing skills here.

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Feb 23, 2020.jpg  

Last edited by Pit; 02-23-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:42 PM

Glad it is working now. No better person to call.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-23-2020, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear Pit! As I said earlier, sometimes a heavier recoil spring can induce those kinds of problems just as the extractor being too tight can. I would be willing to bet that snipping a half coil off the replacement spring might have had a similar effect on improving the reliability as returning to the OEM spring. Might give that a try next time out and see if it works - if so, you now have a replacement spring tested that functions as well as the OEM; ask Steve about that tomorrow when you talk to him.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 02-23-2020, 07:01 PM

Great idea Roger
Old 02-23-2020, 07:13 PM

A gun bunny???

That’s a new one.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:22 PM

That's a term we used on our SWAT team for Entry / Sniper guys. Team Boss, Team Leaders, and Gun Bunnies. I be came the team boss years later but always stayed a gun bunny. They have more fun!

JW.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:29 PM

It was likely short cycling and not having enough travel to correctly pick up a new round, the heavy recoil you felt was because the heavy springs acts like a stronger "link" between the slide and frame while the latter is moving and makes it feel heavier to the shooter for a longer amount of time when firing.

Glad to hear it's working correctly now!
Old 02-23-2020, 07:41 PM

Kinda what I'm thinking, Alex. It amazes me how different a pistol functions with a proper combination of springs and parts. I think I'm going to leave this one running the silicon chrome round springs as a comparison to my flat wire pistols.

The Gold Bead is growing on me. Getting easier to track.

JW
Old 02-23-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit View Post
Kinda what I'm thinking, Alex. It amazes me how different a pistol functions with a proper combination of springs and parts. I think I'm going to leave this one running the silicon chrome round springs as a comparison to my flat wire pistols.

The Gold Bead is growing on me. Getting easier to track.

JW
Good plan, I did a little more shooting with mine today too and it also growing for me in lower light areas that have perimeter light. By that I mean if the area I'm in is dark but other areas have light it is way easier to see than my Ameriglo

I thought I should also mention that another possible reason you saw the errors you did is twofold, if the previous owner charged the mainspring weight it can amplify changes in the unlocking process and again make the gun feel heavier in recoil. Also Wilson guns have very long ejectors (minimizes the time the case is only acted on by the extractor and the total time it's still in the gun period) that can easily eject a case even if the gun doesn't have enough energy left to pick up a new one properly/at all. I have noticed this with my carry comps if they have new main and recoil (25, 22, both flatwire) and [email protected] FPS loads since they appear to fire, eject, but then there is a dead hammer fall on an empty chamber for 4-5 rounds till normal function resumes.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:16 PM

In talking with previous owner, I believe the main spring is stock. Another question for Steve tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit View Post
In talking with previous owner, I believe the main spring is stock. Another question for Steve tomorrow.
Any update on your discussion with Steve?

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 02-28-2020, 05:39 AM

Another thing you can do Pit to make the gun more robust is to get the flatware magazines (HD+p I think they call them). Or you can just by the springs and update your existing ETM's. They will likely be the last 45 mags/springs you will ever need to buy, they are that good.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 02-29-2020, 12:42 PM

Cont:

When performing a slide lock reload, upon using the slide release the round would not consistently feed. At times it would nose dive slightly causing a stoppage. This occurred with the Federal HST or WW Ranger T rounds. The old Remington JHP fed.

Talked with Steve who suggested sending it in. He put me in contact with Kent. Kent agreed on sending it in. So it's off the Wilson for some TLC. I did not the Slide Release pin seems to show a lot of wear on the AT. Kent said he'd look that over as well as the extractor and all related feed areas.

Once again, Wilson comes thru.

Combat Auto - Good thought. The flat wire springs will be added when the mags need refreshed. So far they work in the other Wilson Combat pistols as well as a Colt without issue.

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Feb 23, 2020 Slide Release 1.jpg   Feb 23, 2020 Slide Release 2.jpg   Feb 23, 2020 Slide Release 3.jpg