Clothing for concealed carry in warm weather. - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 02:03 AM

Carharrt still makes t-shirts so you can jump on line and order more if you want.

I've also ordered 6.1 oz Gildan T-shirts from the below link. These are relatively heavy weight and sized well. They're also cheap in price with decent quality. They are NOT, however, the softest shirts but they get better after a few washings.
https://www.thedealrack.com/gildan-2...k-t-shirt.html
Old 02-11-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs1911 View Post
Check out the products at Duluth. Good quality and a more generous cut in both length and width.
I second this. I only ware Duluth T-Shirts. Funny note. Duluth T-Shirts have 3 extra inches from normal shirts. The first time I wore one and practiced my draw. I grabbed the T-Shirt center belly and yanked upward to make the shirt clear my gun. The 3 extra inches caused me to smack myself in the chin before the shirt cleared the gun. Good thing I practice with all new clothing and equipment.

Hint: Sign up for Duluth mailing list. The are always sending out % off coupons. In 2019 they sent out a 30% off coupon so I stocked up on the clothing I really like.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:23 PM

For me, I wear a unbuttoned short sleeve shirt, cargo shorts and comfortable foot gear.
Seems to work for me.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Hides my gun perfectly, it's what I use normally. I can pull off a full-size with mageell but if I move certain ways it prints slightly, so I use a compact instead
Is "Printing" an issue legally for you where you live?
Old 02-12-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
Quote:
Hides my gun perfectly, it's what I use normally. I can pull off a full-size with mageell but if I move certain ways it prints slightly, so I use a compact instead
Is "Printing" an issue legally for you where you live?
No, it's a personal preference in that I want to be able to have unrestricted movement and not have my gun print. I am of the "no metal detector no rules" mindset so I don't want to have to think about it if I'm in an area it's not allowed.

Plus I just don't want to have to dress around a gun, otherwise I would be carrying a STI Omni
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-13-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
No, it's a personal preference in that I want to be able to have unrestricted movement and not have my gun print. I am of the "no metal detector no rules" mindset so I don't want to have to think about it if I'm in an area it's not allowed.

Plus I just don't want to have to dress around a gun, otherwise I would be carrying a STI Omni
Got it. Here in Florida it was an issue at one point, but to our legislators credit they fixed it. I have been carrying for years and have never worried about printing. I learned very early on that almost nobody even notices it if and when a gun prints. Even my wife and friends who know I carry don't notice even when I wear a shirt that allows printing a little. Of course my location is partly to credit for this. I live in a very gun friendly county.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:11 PM

I just a retired bum and wear t-shirts pretty much year around and never have an issue. When I don't want to look like a bum, which does happen now and then I lean toward a polo. I have a closet full of golf shirts but rarely wear them any more. I do tend to buy t's and polo's on the large side.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
An open Hawaiian shirt over whatever t-shirt I happen to be wearing.
The joke on most concealed carry forums is that you can always spot the CCW'ers in a crowd because they're wearing either untucked Hawaiian shirts or traveler's vests.

When it gets really warm I usually just use a small fanny pack, as it's no more obvious than the above.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:29 PM

I think everyone “prints” in the summer. I see it all the time. Nobody really cares.

Observation: Based on the stuff everyone wears... I believe that if the 1911 Forum was in a nightclub nobody would get lucky. (especially those of you in Hawaiian shirts).
Old 02-15-2020, 10:18 PM

I’ve been wearing a wife-beater undershirt with a tee for a cover garment pretty much year round for 10 years now (ever since I retired).

Prior to that, I wore either Hawaiian shirts or Columbia fishing shirts over an undershirt. Only the bottom button was unbuttoned on those.

Rick
http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/
IDPA Certified Safety Officer
Old 02-17-2020, 12:12 PM

I wear shorts, sandals, and an untucked cover garment in the summer to cover the government model 1911 and spare magazine carried OWB. The untucked cover garments are one size larger T-shirts, polo shirts, or Hawaiian shirts.

US Army, Retired
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 02-17-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
I think everyone “prints” in the summer. I see it all the time. Nobody really cares.

Observation: Based on the stuff everyone wears... I believe that if the 1911 Forum was in a nightclub nobody would get lucky. (especially those of you in Hawaiian shirts).
I'd suggest that everyone carrying a 4 or 5 inch 1911 OWB prints at some point, far more off than they care to admit. Unless you're wearing a stay-puff marshmallow man parka, its pretty much inevitable. If you think a +1 size polo or T shirt won't print at all, you're deluding yourself.

Does it matter? Not really. Most don't notice, and of the few that do, they care evenn less.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-17-2020, 03:14 PM

We hit the Goodwill store for cast off Hawaiian shirts, at about $3, for summer trips to town. Other than that the Duluth Ts are our daily wear; they are great!
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:04 PM

Carhartt now makes a pocket t that is just a bit lighter in weight and the various colors have white thread interwoven in them. I get my Carhartts, in Tall sizes, at a local logging supply and then take the sewn-on label off of them (I don't wear shirts with pictures or words on them).
Anyway in the Winter I tuck them into my jeans but in Summer I usually leave them untucked, though not always, and pocket carry in both cases. If I do choose to carry iwb and it's cool enough I'll through a light button down shirt over the top and leave it untucked and unbuttoned.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:18 PM

Pocket carry. Duluth Trading Co. pants and shorts.... DEEP front pockets. Robert Mika pocket holsters. Appropriate gun to pocket carry. I've POCKET carried: Ruger SP101, Colt Cobra, Sig P365 (current) and Sig P238. Mika holsters for all. NOBODY is ever going to make you.