Kimber Customer Service Issue Review - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-27-2019, 10:21 AM

Kimber Customer Service Issue Review

I feel compelled to write this since when I was recently searching the web all that I found in a quick search was "Issues," and not any success stories.

I've owned my CDP Ultra II (45acp) for 8 years which has very recently developed a crack in the frame. The crack surfaced where the recoil spring guide plate/flange makes contact with the frame, on the side of the dust cover. To my dismay, I searched the web and found some customer service sob stories on the forums. Because of this I came to terms with the fact that my gun may likely be a $1200 paper weight at this point, and started looking at steel replacement frames.

I decided to call Kimber even though my gun was well outside of the one year warranty period to see what my options were. I ended up having to call a second time since I didn't have access the serial number at the time, and low and behold, all three people that I spoke to were extremely professional, polite, and genuinely concerned with my issue.

As stated eariler, I've had the gun for eight years, but it has a very low round count for it's age (under 1000). All factors considered, let's just say that the very nice woman in the Kimber customer service dept took exceptionally good care of me. I supplied a couple of pics to prove that I wasn't a clown and that my gun was in very good and properly maintained condition, and within minutes I had a prepaid 2nd day air shipping label to NY in my inbox.

Within 2 days of their receipt of my firearm, I got a phone call from the same woman that I had spoke to before (who, from what I understand, happens to be the customer service dept supervisor). She was calling to inform me that Kimber was in fact going to replace my frame for free under warranty, and she just needed my FFL info before they could start the warranty work! Nice!

I'm keeping track of the turnaround time but honestly I could care less. They could take 6 months and I'd still be a satisfied customer. They are replacing my frame for FREE, well outside of their stated warranty window. Now that is how you instill confidence in purchasing your products!

I certainly won't hesitate to buy another Kimber.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:16 PM

Experiences both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Granger-T View Post
I feel compelled to write this since when I was recently searching the web all that I found in a quick search was "Issues," and not any success stories.

I've owned my CDP Ultra II (45acp) for 8 years which has very recently developed a crack in the frame.
They are replacing my frame for FREE, well outside of their stated warranty window. Now that is how you instill confidence in purchasing your products!

Good! Glad to read of this experience: its applicable to a couple of pistols upon which Id like to continue to rely.

My experiences of Kimber C.S. have had results in each direction. In each case, the -willingness- did seem always to be be there. Whether execution was up to snuff seemed to depend upon who did the actual work: in your case where the flaw seems likely to have been in the actual metallurgy, the Kimber staff effecting the replacement seems unlikely to be much of a factor. You can expect a good result as well as good C.S.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:52 PM

Agree I’ve heard several stories of Kimber service going above and beyond. They stand behind their product, the one year written warranty is more of a legal(attorney)type of thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019, 12:31 AM

The crack you described is actually not all that uncommon and the cause is insufficient clearance between the top of the dust cover and the bottom of the slide. If the slide bears down on the dust cover as it comes back it forces it to flex - and it cannot. The crack starts on the inside corner just where the dust cover meets the frame. Kimber blew it on this (and they know it). The problem has nothing to do with metallurgy - just poor fitting. But the good news is the crack will only travel down so far and then the steel gets thicker and the crack will stop. I have an old Springfield that did this 15 years ago on both sides and I was going to make a paperweight out of it but several older smiths told me to not worry about and keep shooting it. The cracks have never gone any further. The way to prevent this is only 30 seconds with a file on the top edges of the dust cover. Any new 1911 you get check for clearance between the dust cover and the slide. If you see it and fix it when the gun is new the crack will never start. It's something I always check for on a new gun. There have been many posts where people have complained about being able to see the recoil spring through this gap - guys have complained that this is a defect. It is not. It is necessary. The gap is supposed to be there so the dust cover doesn't flex and crack. I have seen a number of guns where the crack was welded up and came back because the clearance issue was not addressed.

Last edited by drail; 01-28-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:29 AM

Thats great they took care of this for you.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
The crack you described is actually not all that uncommon and the cause is insufficient clearance between the top of the dust cover and the bottom of the slide. If the slide bears down on the dust cover as it comes back it forces it to flex - and it cannot. The crack starts on the inside corner just where the dust cover meets the frame. Kimber blew it on this (and they know it). The problem has nothing to do with metallurgy - just poor fitting. But the good news is the crack will only travel down so far and then the steel gets thicker and the crack will stop. I have an old Springfield that did this 15 years ago on both sides and I was going to make a paperweight out of it but several older smiths told me to not worry about and keep shooting it. The cracks have never gone any further. The way to prevent this is only 30 seconds with a file on the top edges of the dust cover. Any new 1911 you get check for clearance between the dust cover and the slide. If you see it and fix it when the gun is new the crack will never start. It's something I always check for on a new gun. There have been many posts where people have complained about being able to see the recoil spring through this gap - guys have complained that this is a defect. It is not. It is necessary. The gap is supposed to be there so the dust cover doesn't flex and crack. I have seen a number of guns where the crack was welded up and came back because the clearance issue was not addressed.
Great informative post. Do you by chance have a picture of the exact area you are talking about? I am not entirely sure I understand what you are saying. I'd like to check my Pro Carry.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Old 02-05-2020, 11:06 AM

Out of the nine Kimbers I own, I've dealt with their CS twice, and both times I went away completely satisfied. The last time was just yesterday, as I sent in a Super Carry Ultra + recently purchased used, that would not chamber hardball from slidelock or by sling-shoting. Didn't even want to go out to shoot it. Out of warranty, but they are giving it a complete workover to bring it back to factory new condition.

Great Customer Service, period!
Old 02-05-2020, 11:26 AM

As far as I'm concerned after 25 years and 5 Kimbers their customer service is tops! I've never had to contact them!

Not true with the same number of S&W or Springfields! Although the service was completed, eventually it took more than one trip to fix a S&W SSR and a Springfield 1911 rear sight.

All the best,
Old 02-05-2020, 12:33 PM

I've only used Kimber's CS once for dead night sights and was completely satisfied. Like you it was way out of the 1 year warranty and I was not the original owner. They were courteous, fast and took care of it free of charge, even covered the return shipping. People who don't like Kimber, for whatever reason, are always going to be negative and anymore I just tend to ignore them.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:56 PM

I contacted them a few years ago when the slide stop on both an Ultra and a Pro-Carry were causing malfunctions. They sent me new parts straight away, no cost, problem solved. Great CS.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:34 PM

Although I have never had a problem with a Kimber that resulted in having to ship it back to them, the times that I have called to ask questions they have been very helpful.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Granger-T View Post

I've owned my CDP Ultra II (45acp) for 8 years which has very recently developed a crack in the frame. The crack surfaced where the recoil spring guide plate/flange makes contact with the frame, on the side of the dust cover. To my dismay, I searched the web and found some customer service sob stories on the forums. Because of this I came to terms with the fact that my gun may likely be a $1200 paper weight at this point, and started looking at steel replacement frames.

I decided to call Kimber even though my gun was well outside of the one year warranty period to see what my options were. I ended up having to call a second time since I didn't have access the serial number at the time, and low and behold, all three people that I spoke to were extremely professional, polite, and genuinely concerned with my issue.

As stated eariler, I've had the gun for eight years, but it has a very low round count for it's age (under 1000). All factors considered, let's just say that the very nice woman in the Kimber customer service dept took exceptionally good care of me. I supplied a couple of pics to prove that I wasn't a clown and that my gun was in very good and properly maintained condition, and within minutes I had a prepaid 2nd day air shipping label to NY in my inbox.

Within 2 days of their receipt of my firearm, I got a phone call from the same woman that I had spoke to before (who, from what I understand, happens to be the customer service dept supervisor). She was calling to inform me that Kimber was in fact going to replace my frame for free under warranty, and she just needed my FFL info before they could start the warranty work! Nice!

I'm keeping track of the turnaround time but honestly I could care less. They could take 6 months and I'd still be a satisfied customer. They are replacing my frame for FREE, well outside of their stated warranty window. Now that is how you instill confidence in purchasing your products!

Very good to hear.

Thanks for posting your positive experiences.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:39 AM

I only own 1 Kimber, a stainless 6” longslide .45 that I bought late last year, it came with an adjustable rear sight and as delivered the sight could not be adjusted for elevation, it appeared that Kimber had used some loctite on the sight and seemed to have gotten into the elevation screw, I tried multiple things to break it free but ultimately called Kimber, great CS people sent me a label to ship the slide back and less than a week later it was back with a new sight that surprisingly was actually set perfectly for poa/poi. Great customer service in my opinion.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:17 PM

I had a similar experience with Kimber CS. In my opinion, they are the best in the business.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:20 PM

My Stainless II also has a imperfection on inside of dust cover. Called Kimber and sent pics. They got back to me next day with info to sent pistol back. I have about 2000 rds thru it with no issues. The crack or whatever it is looks like a imperfection in the steel, you can almost see other lines running across the inside of the dust cover. Hopefully this turns out well, I'll let you know.
Attached Thumbnails
20200419_175428_1587859921975.jpg  
Old 04-26-2020, 09:43 AM

My experience with Kimber over at least a 10 year period is that they make a quality product at a very reasonable price and they stand behind that product. Actually there are very few 1911s that are substantially better than kimber's base model, Custom II at around 750. I'm not sure there are any production guns that are better than a Kimber Gold Match, you need to get into custom guns for that and a grand or more extra money. Actually I have both. I have a D.W. PM9 that most folks consider the best production range pistol and it is a fine gun, however my Gold Match is right there with it.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
My experience with Kimber over at least a 10 year period is that they make a quality product at a very reasonable price and they stand behind that product. Actually there are very few 1911s that are substantially better than kimber's base model, Custom II at around 750.......
This is my experience as well. Nothing beats the Kimber Custom II for a quality, regular production 1911.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:12 PM

I have "more than one" Kimber, but I've only had one that needed their attention. It was a
SIS Custom that had one thing I was not sure about. I took a picture and E-mailed it to the
guy (since passed away) that was their CS gu-ru.

About two days later I was ordering a part from them and asked if they had time to look
at the picture. I was on hold for less than two minutes and the gu-ru told me to hold for
a minute, I did and another person came on, gave me instructions on packaging, and there
was a UPS pickup the next morning. - - - Got it back in exactly one week.
That is the SWEETEST, smoothest and most accurate 1911 I have ever shot!

The only thing I've seen is DO NOT TELL THERM HOW TO DO BUSINESS!

ASK them questions and everything goes VERY well.
. . . . it doesn't matter what the answer is.
~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:10 PM

I found this thread while researching Kimber Customer Service.

Alas, my experience is the opposite. I recently contacted Kimber regarding a problem with the slide locking back prematurely (on a half empty mag - tried different mags, different ammo etc).

I will have to pay to ship the gun to Kimber, pay for an evaluation, pay for any parts and labor to fix and then pay to ship the gun back to me.

Not happy.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:18 PM

I have a dozen or so Kimbers and I've always found their CS to be very responsive. Although I've only sent one back, a Super Carry that they forgot to chamfer the chamber so it wouldn't feed most of the time. I thought since it was new and rather than fix it myself I would send it back. They got it back to me in a hurry with free shipping but it looked like they ran 40grit sandpaper over the hood. Wished I would have done it myself after all.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:15 PM

Mine had some issues with WWB at first and Kimber sent a paid shipping label to have it fixed. Had the front strap done while it was there. Runs flawlessly now and extremely accurate. I couldn't be happier with it.