Convert Beretta M9A1 to SAO? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-30-2020, 10:52 PM

Convert Beretta M9A1 to SAO?

Hello, I hope you folks don't mind a Beretta post here. My heart is in the right place - I want to make my M9 just a little more like a 1911.

Is there a way to convert the M9 to a single action only gun? This would effectively just remove the decocking feature from the gun.

If not, I'll probably be looking for something very specific - a series 80 double stack 9mm 1911 or 2011 with a rail.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2020, 11:30 PM

If you replace the hammer release lever with the spacer used in the “D” model Berettas, activation of the safety will no longer drop the hammer, but it will still rotate the block in front of the firing pin striker (not sure if that is the right part name), therefore becoming an effective condition 1 safety. That said, if you press the trigger, it will still drop the hammer in the same manner that decocking would do so. Since this is outside the intended design parameters I wouldn’t recommend this for anything other than target shooting, etc.

I did this years ago with a different competition gun. Then I learned to really work a DA trigger and now see no need. A 1911 has attributes, and the Beretta has others. Both are amazing guns that can do great things for a good shooter. I can do things with a DA Beretta that I can’t with a 1911.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:59 AM

Contact Josh Rowe at Allegheny Gun Works, he is one of the premier Beretta 92/M9 gunsmiths in the country and has done numerous SAO conversions on Berettas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboyjun View Post
Contact Josh Rowe at Allegheny Gun Works, he is one of the premier Beretta 92/M9 gunsmiths in the country and has done numerous SAO conversions on Berettas.
OP, if you do, please tell us what you found out.
.45 ACP 1911s: Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Colt, Dan Wesson, Springfield, Build No. 1
www.discovering1911.com
Old 01-31-2020, 01:00 PM

Beretta now offers the 92X Performance http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92x-performance/

they used to offer the Billennium http://www.berettaweb.com/Billennium...Billennium.htm

Quote:
Is there a way to convert the M9 to a single action only gun? This would effectively just remove the decocking feature from the gun.
I believe we had some guy on the forum (perhaps another forum) who did this. You don't get a safety allowing you to carry cocked and locked, but you do lose the decocker. Seems like a lose/lose situation to me.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:07 PM

You guys are right on the mark. I just spoke with Josh - very nice guy by the way - and he said what I'm wanting is not possible from the stock M9 configuration. I'd have to start with another Beretta model, and he would suggest a frame-mounted safety.

Considering all this, he said to look at the new 92x. I may do that, or look into a 2011 or 1911 double stack 9mm with a rail.

Thanks for all the input!