1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-29-2020, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting program tonight

It will be on Outdoor channel. It is on "Shooting Gallery", and is the reunion shoot and celebration of the folks that founded and competed in practical pistol shooting disciplines many years ago; it was hosted by Bill Wilson at his ranch, and has many of the original competitors like Bill, Ken Hackathorn, Robbie Leatham, and many of you older guys will recognize many more names. IIRC, Chip McCormick was invited but was unable to attend, but the list of original practical pistol shooters that did attend is very impressive. It should be both fun and educational to watch for many of us.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up Roger, I will tune in!
Old 01-29-2020, 05:25 PM

Thanks for letting us know. I will record it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhills Write View Post
Thanks for letting us know. I will record it.
Done. G50, are you an “extra”????
Old 01-29-2020, 05:54 PM

Thanks Roger, have that as a series recording on DVR and will watch it tomorrow!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 01-29-2020, 06:43 PM

Mostly advertising not much history and only 1/2 long but Thanks for the heads up Roger.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James3612 View Post
Done. G50, are you an “extra”????
Don't I wish! I would have cooked homemade lasagna or even cleaned toilets to have been there for that and personally meet some of those folks! Thoroughly enjoyed the program, and recorded it so I can watch it again. On second thought, since I was an MP dog handler in the military, I could have taken care of Bill's dogs during that get-together...

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 01-29-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
It will be on Outdoor channel. It is on "Shooting Gallery", and is the reunion shoot and celebration of the folks that founded and competed in practical pistol shooting disciplines many years ago; it was hosted by Bill Wilson at his ranch, and has many of the original competitors like Bill, Ken Hackathorn, Robbie Leatham, and many of you older guys will recognize many more names. IIRC, Chip McCormick was invited but was unable to attend, but the list of original practical pistol shooters that did attend is very impressive. It should be both fun and educational to watch for many of us.

You left out the "original" originals: Cooper, Chapman, Weaver, McMillan, and Elden at the Big Bear Leather Slap Matches !

Google: "Big Bear Leatherslap – The Peak Years"

All the best in 2020,

Last edited by jjfitch; 01-29-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
You left out the "original" originals: Cooper, Chapman, Weaver, McMillan, and Elden at the Big Bear Leather Slap Matches !

All the best in 2020,
Not intentional. As Bill said, many of the originals were already passed away. A few of my old favorites from several decades ago were Ed McGivern, Elmer Kieth, Jack O'Connor, too many to name all of them. There was Don Hume and many others in the leather industry who made the holsters for an evolving sport as well - again too many to name here.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 01-29-2020, 08:27 PM

Thank you for the heads up!
Old 01-29-2020, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not intentional. As Bill said, many of the originals were already passed away. A few of my old favorites from several decades ago were Ed McGivern, Elmer Kieth, Jack O'Connor, too many to name all of them. There was Don Hume and many others in the leather industry who made the holsters for an evolving sport as well - again too many to name here.

Oh, and how about Bill Jordan?

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 01-29-2020, 10:18 PM

Wednesdays are the best night for the outdoor channel, for shooters that is.
Great programs were on before and after.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:25 PM

Dang it, I don't have that channel.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:20 AM

Disappointed. I went to watch the show this morning while working in my gun room and it did not record. Checked and found that Spectrum had taken the Outdoor Channel out of my package a week or so ago. Called Spectrum (ugh) and got it put back on.

Now I have to wait until it repeats, again.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 01-30-2020, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

That really IS a stinker David! The only thing I was a little disappointed in was that it was only a half hour show, so they didn't have time to interview/speak to every attendee. Anyway, it was a very enjoyable show, hope it replays for you soon.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 01-30-2020, 12:00 PM

I missed it also, didn't see this thread till early this morning. Have to start recording this slot on a weekly basis. I record the G&A slot on Monday's, but it has gone down hill, too many commercials, too little shooting...I would really like to see Top-Shots come back, any producers out there? :-) Top shots was great due to the wide variety of firearms, and stages, as well as the wide backgrounds of shooter - many even non-proes.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 01-30-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:51 PM

Watched it for the nostalgia factor. Who were all those "old guys"?

I guess in the early seventies we were all a little younger. It was then that I met the guys mentioned in post #8 in the late 60's or early 70's at the Bid Bear Range. Just for the record 73 isn't old!

"Robby" (Rob Leatham) won the overall "championship". Yeah he beat all those old guys! (When I was introduced to Leatham at his home range about 25 years ago it was "Robby'") Rob is one of the best ambassadors for our sport and endeavors and a really nice guy too!

All the best in 2020,
Old 01-30-2020, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Watched it for the nostalgia factor. Who were all those "old guys"?

I guess in the early seventies we were all a little younger. It was then that I met the guys mentioned in post #8 in the late 60's or early 70's at the Bid Bear Range. Just for the record 73 isn't old!

"Robby" (Rob Leatham) won the overall "championship". Yeah he beat all those old guys! (When I was introduced to Leatham at his home range about 25 years ago it was "Robby'") Rob is one of the best ambassadors for our sport and endeavors and a really nice guy too!

All the best in 2020,
You brought back very fond memories with post # 8 - the Leather Slap Matches. I read about them way back when....always wanted to go to one but never had the money or paid vacation time back then to take the time off to get there and participate; still, always loved reading about them. Wow, that was a while ago....

And you are spot on about Robbie - he is one of the best ambassadors for our shooting sports there is, and a super nice guy.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 01-30-2020, 09:47 PM

Big Bear Leather Slap..

Quote:
You brought back very fond memories with post # 8 - the Leather Slap Matches. I read about them way back when....always wanted to go to one but never had the money or paid vacation time back then to take the time off to get there and participate; still, always loved reading about them. Wow, that was a while ago....

And you are spot on about Robbie - he is one of the best ambassadors for our shooting sports there is, and a super nice guy.
I failed to mention that there was a short "snipit" of video that sure looks like the old Big Bear Range and the rudimentary targets and shooting lanes as I recall!

All the best,
Old 01-31-2020, 10:18 AM

Had to do double take to figure out who many of the folks at Bill's gathering were. Too bad they didn't make this at least a one hour program.

And yes, 73 is not that old.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:29 PM

Really enjoyed the show, TGO won , go figure, LOL.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:59 PM

I had to look up TGO! I'm old!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philk View Post
Really enjoyed the show, TGO won , go figure, LOL.
OH, I thought it was "Robby"! (This is brevity LOL!)
Old 01-31-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
OH, I thought it was "Robby"! (This is brevity LOL!)