Off Target - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 02:45 PM

Off Target

The last couple of weekends Iíve been shooting more than usual. My Kimber Tactical Pro II SE in 45 Auto is spot on as usual.

But my Kimber Micro 9 Crimson Trace has started hitting high. About 12 inches high from point of aim.

I shot both weapons from a sitting, braced position. The Micro 9 was high whether sighting with the laser or the hard sights.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:01 PM

You say it "started shooting high".

Does that mean it used to hit POA? Same distance??

Using the same ammo?? Same bullet weight??? Same velocity???

Start looking at variables......
Old 01-18-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
You say it "started shooting high".

Does that mean it used to hit POA? Same distance??

Using the same ammo?? Same bullet weight??? Same velocity???

Start looking at variables......
Thatís a bull barrel correct? Could it be wear? The link pin possibly?
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 03:33 PM

The gun only has about 700 rounds through it. I bought it new in 2018. I have recently begun reloading. So I went back to factory ammo, Remington 115. I have reloaded 124 and fired factory 115 and 124.

I don’t see any significant wear anywhere. Barrel or elsewhere. I was firing with the laser, doing draw from concealment timed shooting when I noticed the issue. So I went back to the regular sights and fired from a braced position. Still high.

Would the difference between 115 and 124 with comparable powder charge give that big of a difference?

I emailed Kimber customer service a week ago. Still waiting.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:13 PM

If you are shooting with a laser then there is a very good chance that it has gone out of adjustment and the Kimber is just fine. Shoot it from a supported position with the iron sights and see what happens.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 01-23-2020, 06:51 PM

Usually a lighter bullet will shoot lower than a heavier bullet in a handgun.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:26 PM

Have you been only using the laser on the Micro 9 up until the 12" high problem started? In other words, was it only after you noticed a problem that you ever tried the iron sights?

If so, possibly the iron sights were always off, and it was just the the laser regulation that shifted.

-
Old 01-23-2020, 09:10 PM

Sort of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
Usually a lighter bullet will shoot lower than a heavier bullet in a handgun.
Lighter bullets at the same velocity as a heavier bullet will have a lower POI with the same POA as a heavier bullet! Has to do with barrel time and recoil!

I knew what you meant but this is a public forum and words do mean stuff!

All the best in 2020,
Old 01-23-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
Lighter bullets at the same velocity as a heavier bullet will have a lower POI with the same POA as a heavier bullet! Has to do with barrel time and recoil!
The same phenomenon also occurs with light faster velocity bullets compared to slower heavy bullets.

In the case of equal velocities, the higher point of impact is due to the greater recoil impulse and muzzle rise associated with the heavy bullet.

In the case of the faster light bullets, the higher point of impact is due to the greater dwell time (resident time) of the heavy bullet in the barrel.

In both cases, the muzzle has risen more at the point that the heavier bullet exits the barrel.

-

Last edited by megafiddle; 01-23-2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:42 PM

Did you by chance set your laser to “co-witness” with The iron sights by chance ? So if the iron sights were off to begin with now your laser will be the same, just a thought.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt1959 View Post
The gun only has about 700 rounds through it. I bought it new in 2018. I have recently begun reloading. So I went back to factory ammo, Remington 115. I have reloaded 124 and fired factory 115 and 124.

I donít see any significant wear anywhere. Barrel or elsewhere. I was firing with the laser, doing draw from concealment timed shooting when I noticed the issue. So I went back to the regular sights and fired from a braced position. Still high.

Would the difference between 115 and 124 with comparable powder charge give that big of a difference?

I emailed Kimber customer service a week ago. Still waiting.
What distance are you shooting at? If 7 yds....then there's no way bullet weight will change poi by a foot. If it's 25 yds.....the difference could be significant. But a foot difference.....man......that's a lot.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:12 AM

OP, if you haven't already, try using an extended mag that should allow to get a better purchase on the grip which should help with the vertical recoil associated with micro pistols that have the smaller and shorter grip profiles.