1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 08:03 PM

Should I buy A Tisas??

Thinking of buying a new Tisas 1911a1 clone. I have a RIA that shoots
very well and a put together 1911a1 made up from different parts.
Federal Ordnance frame, 1911 Colt slide, etc. So, any info on the buying
of this Tisas? Thanks for any info.
Denny
Old 01-19-2020, 10:21 AM

I've "tuned" several Tisas' for friends and have been impressed with the quality for it's price point. Fit and finish of the ones I've handled has been better than the RIAs I've handled.

That said I don't personally own a Tisas 1911 but do own several RIAs. Most were bought before handling a Tisas or in calibers not available from Tisas. I do however own a Tisas BR-9 (Hi-Power clone) and love it.

My opinion, in its price point the Tisas is a solid performer.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:01 PM

Why?
You've already got two good 1911s.
If you're into collecting, you'll want to get a Colt sooner or later!
Why wait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 07:06 PM

The Turks make excellent firearms. Go for it.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:43 AM
Banned

get something from an American company like colt or springfield.

buying a 1911 made in turkey is sort of like buying a BIBLE that was printed in Iran
Old 01-21-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketshaver View Post

buying a 1911 made in turkey is sort of like buying a BIBLE that was printed in Iran
I don't know - a Bible printed in Iran would probably have more collector value!
Old 01-21-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa; yeah buy from a company that doesn't want to sell evil black rifles to civilians or the one that has had some serious anti-2A issues. Funny stuff right here
Old 01-21-2020, 07:21 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth...... I'm not sure Springfield is
even made in the USA. And Colt.... there very much overrated as far as
I'm concerned. I had a Colt officers model years ago.... it was a nice gun,
but not worth the money. I went ahead and ordered the Tisas yesterday
and can't wait till it arrives. If it's half as good as my RIA, I'll be happy.
Denny
Old 02-07-2020, 10:45 PM

I realize this thread is a little old.

I recently bought an SDS Tisas 1911A1 at my LGS. It shoots great, looks good, and is well put-together. I think it's an excellent gun at an excellent price. I'm not quite ready to say it's better than a Rock Island, but I certainly can't say a Rock Island is better than it.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Love this answer

My question is why do people keep wanting to buy cheap 1911's ?

Save Save Save and buy a Custom one .

Last edited by Billy1911; 02-08-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:09 AM

I have a friend who bought a ZIG m1911 stainless with front serrations and he hasn't had any problems with it (that's what he said at least). I know it's a different gun from the a1, but apparently their quality has stepped up post Zenith. I'm actually looking into a zig myself for the same reason.

Last edited by 1911Pistolero; 02-08-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1911 View Post
Love this answer

My question is why do people keep wanting to by cheap 1911's ?

Save Save Save and buy a Custom one .
It should be remembered that there have been Christians reading Bibles in Iran/Persia for a lot longer than there has been a United States. I am not saying we should buy Iranian Bibles, but we should not forget these folks or dismiss their faith.

I enjoy both high-end and inexpensive guns. I, myself, am hoping my Alchemy Custom arrives today at my LGS. I currently have a couple of Les Baers that really please me. I shoot them as well as any gun I own. I know a gentleman with a large collection who says he shoots his Rock Island best of all of his 1911s.

Some inexpensive guns work great and can serve the purpose well, thus, they can make sense for those who may never see themselves spending thousands on any gun.

My Tisas doesn't shoot as well, nor look as nice as, my Les Baers, but it functions better than some USA-made 1911s that cost upwards of $1K.

In the end, though, everybody has different taste in these things. It is certainly legitimate to only want the very best guns, made in the USA, by Americans.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:22 AM

So if you have some good 1911's . Why own the crappy one ? I would never
shoot it because I don't want to waste ammo . I shoot the good guns I like
to shoot , why waste time with a lesser gun ?

In the end owning crap is owning crap . I could own cheap guns but what is the
point . I already have good guns that do the job better and are worth something
after shooting them . I could buy a SA Defender for 500 after I shoot it . Its worth
350 . I would never shoot it because I have better guns to shoot so it would be a
500 paper weight . but then again I don't collect I shoot .
Old 02-08-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
So if you have some good 1911's . Why own the crappy one ? I would never
shoot it because I don't want to waste ammo . I shoot the good guns I like
to shoot , why waste time with a lesser gun ?

In the end owning crap is owning crap . I could own cheap guns but what is the
point . I already have good guns that do the job better and are worth something
after shooting them . I could buy a SA Defender for 500 after I shoot it . Its worth
350 . I would never shoot it because I have better guns to shoot so it would be a
500 paper weight . but then again I don't collect I shoot .
Inexpensive is not the same thing as crappy. There are, frankly, expensive guns that are crap. My Tisas 1911 is not crap. Maybe some inexpensive 1911s are crap, maybe most are, maybe other Tisas 1911s of the very same model are crap, but this particular one is not. If it was worth the money to you, I could demonstrate this by shooting many rounds without failure in nice tight groups at 15 yards, which is my preferred distance.

I like to own a range of guns so I can understand what differences there are. I do shoot all of my guns. I think it is good to be practiced with a range of different guns (and triggers). There might be some emergency where one needed to use somebody else's gun. I might want to use the gun in conditions that could damage a gun. I might need to lock the gun in my vehicle where there was an elevated risk of theft. I might want to teach a friend to shoot with a more basic gun, so as not to teach them wrongly that one needs an expensive gun to enjoy shooting and use for defense.

In the end, though, I just enjoy having guns at different price points. I shoot them and enjoy that too. It is my money to spend how I please. So, you have different things you enjoy, that's fine by me.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:40 PM
Administrator

People who don't even own one shouldn't be putting them down. So far the reviews online have been overwhelmingly positive. If the Turks can build a decent 1911 at a low price then more power to them. Plenty of US companies have tried making a cheap 1911 and failed miserably.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
People who don't even own one shouldn't be putting them down. So far the reviews online have been overwhelmingly positive. If the Turks can build a decent 1911 at a low price then more power to them. Plenty of US companies have tried making a cheap 1911 and failed miserably.
Well Put!

I just went to the range and shot 120 more rounds through my Tisas/Zig 1911 A1. Absolutely perfect functioning. Nice groups. I enjoyed it. There is something about squeezing (pun intended) good results out of a basic firearm.

I shot my Les Baer Premier II, as well. Yes, it is a better gun, but it cost literally five times as much. One expects price to follow the law of diminishing returns, but I still want to point out that the Les Baer is not five times more fun to shoot. It certainly wouldn't be five times better in a self defense situation.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:16 PM

I own a Regent and a Tisas. Love them both.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:36 PM

Well,, as a new guy, perhaps my opinion is 1 cent worth, instead of the usual 2 cents>nickel.
I think that a RIA or a Tisa can represent excellent value., particularly if it can go bang every time without fail with the SD ammo of your choice.
If your involved in an SD scenario, the police will take your gun to toss into an evidence locker,, I'd rather hand-over the RIA/Tisa than a 3K Wilson,, just saying.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdgt67 View Post
I own a Regent and a Tisas. Love them both.
I'm looking at a Regent at my LGS. Very impressed with the Mil-Spec configuration. Is Regent actually a Tisas ?
Old 02-09-2020, 12:38 PM

I received my Tisas and have put around 100 rds through it with no problems.
I'm perfectly happy with my "crap" guns. A lot of us don't have the big bucks
that Billy1911 must have. And yes, the Regent is made by Tisas.
Denny
Old 02-09-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullySupported View Post
Inexpensive is not the same thing as crappy. There are, frankly, expensive guns that are crap. My Tisas 1911 is not crap.

In the end, though, I just enjoy having guns at different price points. I shoot them and enjoy that too. It is my money to spend how I please. So, you have different things you enjoy, that's fine by me.

Yes you are correct I should have said inexpensive . I don't get along with
your basic inexpensive 1911 . I dislike hammer bite with the spur hammer
, the uncomfortable beavertail , the arched main spring houseing , The lack
of front strap checkering , The solid short trigger , Small safety's , and very
hard to see sights . I'll stick with all the modern upgrades the 1911 has today .
I just don't see the point in owning that type of firearm regardless of the brand .
Everyone has their thing .
Old 02-09-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Yes you are correct I should have said inexpensive . I don't get along with
your basic inexpensive 1911 . I dislike hammer bite with the spur hammer
, the uncomfortable beavertail , the arched main spring houseing , The lack
of front strap checkering , The solid short trigger , Small safety's , and very
hard to see sights . I'll stick with all the modern upgrades the 1911 has today .
I just don't see the point in owning that type of firearm regardless of the brand .
Everyone has their thing .
Those are all perfectly reasonable features to prefer in a 1911.

These features are not actually expensive to add. They're design choices. Regardless of price, I have had 1911s with all those features that weren't great. I own some with those features that are great.

And, just to be difficult, Tisas makes a 1911 with all those features for just a little more than the mil. spec. 1911 A1. (Under $400 at some places online.)

https://www.sdsimports.com/category-s/430118617.htm
Old 02-09-2020, 11:43 PM

hows the quality of the steel? is it a forged casting?
Old 02-10-2020, 02:21 PM

I've owned mine for coming on 6 years I found It to be a good quality firearm and seen It compared to an $800 colt 1911.
It shoots 4" low like every other 1911 I've shot, It's very well put together and good fit and finish mine has cerekoted slide and frame.
My opinion...If you can live without the word "COLT" steamrolled into the slide It's a good pistol at a better price.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
hows the quality of the steel? is it a forged casting?
Forged slide and frame according to their website:
https://www.sdsimports.com/category-s/430118614.htm

Note that it's a cerakoted finish to look like Parkerizing.