Springfield or Colt???? - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-09-2020, 06:37 PM

I had an itch to finally get a full size, 5" 1911 in .45 acp. I had a Colt Officers for 25 yrs. and wanted a full size gun. Bought a Springer Range Officer based on recommendations from a friend who worked in a gunshop for years and a 'smith from a different shop.

The Springer is a nice gun, but it wasn't a Colt.

3 yrs later I had 3 Colts.( 4 w/officers) I do still have the Springer. I shoot it better than the Colts.

But there is something intangable about a Colt.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:44 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	Colt Combat Elite 1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	571736

Click image for larger version

Name:	Colt Combat Elite 2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	571738

Picked it up yesterday. I think I got a really good deal although it only came with one, original mag. I ended up buying a used one from an estate versus buying a brand new one. There is one small handling mark but the internals are in really good shape. As I said in the original post, this gun is going to be shot, carried and then shot some more. Really appreciate everyone's comments! I'll post a range report after this weekend's trip!

Last edited by 377thPFAB; 01-10-2020 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchencounsel View Post
When friends ask about what brands of 1911 to get, I tell them that I love Colt but there are other brands that are just fine. Particularly Springfield which, although I've never owned one, I have friends that do and the Springfields seem to represent an awfully good value.

Also, having had to endure my pistol(s) staying in evidence rooms pending final disposition of certain matters, I counsel people not to carry anything they aren't prepared to have stolen by the keepers of said evidence.

Not only that, if you ever have to use said carry weapon, don't carry anything you don't want the prosecution to be showing the jury, as in evidence of your eagerness to kill Sunday School students and young scholars with your fancy shootin' iron.

For that matter, as a side note I always use one of two kinds of ammo for defensive carry: (1) something that says "defense" on the box or (2) whatever the police use.
You might think that's silly, but stop for a minute and think who's on juries.
(Yes, I'm a lawyer.)
This is really good advice. I too am a lawyer and my philosophy is that I need to accept the risk of using a firearm. The guns I collect are ones that I actively shoot and carry. God forbid that I have to use a weapon within the confines of the law, I can live with the fact that it may sit in an evidence room until the process is complete but I will be given it back. That I have confidence in. That statement either shows the confidence I have in my training or how na´ve I am. Again, really good advice. Thanks
Old 01-10-2020, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter 1911 View Post
I have a Sig Tacops 10mm 1911. It is an absolutely fantastic pistol. I wanted something to compliment it so I bought the Springfield TRP long slide 10mm 6 inch with RMR. It is a great gun for the 10mm full power. Shoots even easier and smoother than the Sig. One reason I got it was because of its design philosophy being designed around the 10mm. Everything else in factory guns is an adaptation of a 45ACP pistol. That isn't a bad thing but I doubt you will do better than your Sig until you go longer barrel. If Sig made a 6 inch 10mm I would have bought it.

From everything I have read I wouldn't go with Colt or Kimber, or any other std 1911 if you have a Sig. They will be the lesser gun. I did look at others in the 6 inch but I am so glad I went with Springfield 1911 as an enhanced 10mm pistol.

I did buy a Springfield XDM 10mm. Total POS. Sold it after 100 rounds. I have yet to find a polymer 10mm pistol that is fun and satisfying to shoot.

FYI I bought the 10 round Tripp Research 10mm magazines. They are GREAT.
I traded for a SA XDM in 10 mm. Totally agree with your assessment. Won't make that mistake again. Then picked up the Sig TacOps in 10mm and had a bunch of FTE issues with it. It went back to Sig and in all fairness, they did a really nice job. Apparently, the wrong roll pin was installed in the factory. It was corrected and I had the Sig back within 5 days I think. It has digested probably 600-700 rounds since then with not one malfunction. It is a great firearm for sure! I'm looking forward to getting the Combat Elite out tomorrow!
Old 01-10-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter 1911 View Post
From everything I have read I wouldn't go with Colt or Kimber, or any other std 1911 if you have a Sig. They will be the lesser gun.....
LMAO!!!!...... That's some funny stuff right there.!!!!!
Old 01-10-2020, 01:44 PM

When I hit a fork in the road and have two choices on which one to buy I choose one first the go back for the other one, buy both the colt and springer.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 01-10-2020, 03:19 PM

The best Colt is a Dan Wesson A2.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2851.JPEG  
Old 01-10-2020, 04:28 PM

Colt. Maybe a Competition in 38 Super.
Tomcatt
COTEP #022
Old 01-10-2020, 04:35 PM

Have both and they are both O.K. Have more Colts than any other brands of 1911 but I buy lots of used ones and Colt has been around for a time.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:19 PM

Love my Colts. Electrolus .45 Gold Cup modified for Combat, SS .38 Super Match Target, .22 Electrolus Ace, SS 10mm Delta Gold Cup, 1911A1 .45 Remington Rand 1944, .45 DCM 1911. Hard to lose a buck on a good original Colt.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:27 AM

I started out with Colt 1911's (Combat Commander than Government Model) back in the 1980's. Since then I've owned Kimbers, Dan Wessons, and a Night Hawk Custom. I love my Night Hawk Custom, and it is my EDC pistol in 10mm.
But, I also have two Dan Wesson 1911 pistols in 10mm and they're great guns as well. I'd definitely recommend a Dan Wesson 10mm if you can't afford a Night Hawk Custom. Certainly, Dan Wesson makes a much higher quality 1911 than any Springfield Armory or Colt.