Just wondering....JimF4M1s passing - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 02:26 PM

Just wondering....JimF4M1s passing

I haven't noticed JimF4M1s around for a while. I remember him saying he was having heath issues. He had a Brown collection like none I've ever seen, and knew how to photograph them properly. Maybe I've got too much time on my hand right now, but he is a valuable contributor to this board. Hope all is well and he's just going to the range too often to piss around on the boards.

Last edited by Ricky T; 01-02-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:57 PM

^^^^^^ I agree 100 percent and I hope he is doing well.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:44 PM

I don't chime in here on the forum much these days but I've also noticed Jim's absence and I too hope he is doing alright and wish him the best.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 12:02 PM

I hope Jim doesnít disapprove of my update, but I know allot folks here are concerned for his well being.

Folks, Jim continues to battle cancer from agent orange. Heís a fighter, but his pain has progressed to the point where he requires morphine on a daily basis. Heís listed as week-by-week, but according to Jim, ďthatís better than day-by-dayĒ. His adopted son visits as often as he can, primarily to provide a sense of comfort to Jimís wife.

Jim can rest easy knowing that heís done his country, family, friends and employers proud. Iíve never personally met Jim, but weíve shared a brief fellowship online. Iíll miss his correspondence and wisdom and pray for his wifeís comfort.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:44 PM

Thank you for the update. I wish him and his family all the luck in the world.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:48 AM

US1911,

Thank you for the update. Don't know Jim, but certainly enjoyed his photos and input. If you "speak" to him again, thank him for his service and gods speed.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:24 AM

I enjoyed his posts and he knew and loved the 1911 platform. I hope he finds the peace and comfort he deserves.
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: ACW Brimstone, Les Baer Stinger, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, NH T4, NH Counselor and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, DW Guardian, WC Sentinel Compact....and oh 3 mid 70's Colt Commanders out for a builds; NH, KGB and Mr. Yost.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:13 AM

My limited correspondence with Jim has been so very positive. He is a good man, a Patriot, and an unabashed fan of EB pistols.
I wish him, and his family, the very best.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:04 PM

Best wishes to Jim and his family.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:53 AM

Best wishes Jim
Old 12-31-2019, 01:55 AM

I hope I am wrong but I fear we may have lost Jim in November. He has been on my mind, so I did a Google search on his name and found a James Flavin in Washington state, who was 70 and died in mid November. From what I knew about Jim, everything seemed to fit, right age, lived in the Northwest, cancer victim, Vietnam vet, ran an assault boat, was a gun collector and contributed to many forums on guns. Our mutual interest in Ed Browns led to many email exchanges, which I now treasure. In one of the last ones, he told me he was trying to make it to he and his wife's wedding anniversary in July. Looks like you made it, Jim. Godspeed.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:38 AM

old doc-thanks for posting. My last private message exchange with Jim was 8/1/19. It is one that I will cherish forever. If in fact our friend Jim has passed, in my humble opinion, the Ed Brown sub-forum should be dedicated in his memory. <(I sent a PM to a moderator and EB)

Last edited by J Scott; 12-31-2019 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:39 AM

Could not agree more. I'm sure it would please him to be remembered in that fashion.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:00 AM

As others on this forum, I was very fond of Jim and always looked forward to his posts. He was always a true gentleman and anxious to share his knowledge and experience with others, as well as pictures of his remarkable collection of Ed Brown and other firearms.

I fear that the conclusion from the latest research is accurate, and Jim's passing will be a sad loss for us all.

Tim
Old 12-31-2019, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
I hope I am wrong but I fear we may have lost Jim in November. He has been on my mind, so I did a Google search on his name and found a James Flavin in Washington state, who was 70 and died in mid November. From what I knew about Jim, everything seemed to fit, right age, lived in the Northwest, cancer victim, Vietnam vet, ran an assault boat, was a gun collector and contributed to many forums on guns. Our mutual interest in Ed Browns led to many email exchanges, which I now treasure. In one of the last ones, he told me he was trying to make it to he and his wife's wedding anniversary in July. Looks like you made it, Jim. Godspeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Scott View Post
old doc-thanks for posting. My last private message exchange with Jim was 8/1/19. It is one that I will cherish forever. If in fact our friend Jim has passed, in my humble opinion, the Ed Brown sub-forum should be dedicated in his memory. <(I sent a PM to a moderator and EB)
I have indeed been able to find the obituary referenced by old doc above, and the picture indeed is of Jim. I will make the proposition to the admins in the moderators-only section of the forum - thank you to J Scott for sending me a PM to bring my attention to this. I had stayed in touch with Jim via private email over the last several years, every few months, and the last communication I had with him was in mid-October. Thank you old doc for the post about you search on him that led me to find his obituary.

I can say, although we weren't able to meet in person, that Jim was a true friend and generous man. I can share a story at a later time that, although not related to Ed Brown, will give you a sense of how good and generous a friend he was. For those who have know him here, I offer my prayers for your comfort and solace in remembering him.

GP50

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-31-2019, 02:41 PM

If it matters, I too believe the Ed Brown sub-forum should keep his memory alive, I had but one PM message with him and he was helpful and patient and a true gun guy
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: ACW Brimstone, Les Baer Stinger, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, NH T4, NH Counselor and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, DW Guardian, WC Sentinel Compact....and oh 3 mid 70's Colt Commanders out for a builds; NH, KGB and Mr. Yost.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:03 PM

Iíve tried to remain in contact with Jim via PMs. However, it was clear to me during our last exchange in late OCT, that he knew the end was near, so we basically said our peace during our final PM exchange.

Jim was in pain and fought a tough fight, he was tough as nails, but Iím comforted knowing that the Warrior is no longer suffering.

Jim was an amazing man. He suffered battle wounds in Vietnam and lost his daughter at a very young age. Who couldíve blamed him if he had a chip on his shoulder or treated others bitterly. But, thatís not how Jim conducted himself. He remain married to the love of his life, achieved success in multiple career paths and always treated his fellow man with courtesy and respect.

Iíll miss Jim and will always think of him, especially when surfing our Ed Brown subforum. I pray that his wife, his adopted son (whom he so dearly loved and talked about often) and his close circle of friends, will all bond together to provide each other strength in order to cope with their loss.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:10 PM

Before I bought my Ed Brown pistols I read a whole lot of posts that Jim had on the forum. He was a great influence to me with the details he brought to the forum about Ed Brown Products.

This forum is filled with great people. Although I don't know everyone here, I have been on here long enough that it seems like I know a bunch of you. Kind of like a second family.

Jim will be missed, but I am thankful that his posts filled with great information will live on.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

I have edited the original post to reflect Jim's passing. May he rest in peace.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:18 PM

"Requiesce in pace," our brother. You'll be missed. All the best to his family.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:21 PM

And here's my vote for a subforum! A true Brown aficionado, deserving nothing less!
Old 01-02-2020, 07:08 PM

RIP Jim,

I always enjoyed looking at your 1911's, and reading your words of wisdom, you will be missed............
Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 PM

Jim was a class act for sure. RIP.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:37 PM

GP50 and Ricky T-thank you.

Scott
Old 01-03-2020, 06:05 PM

I am posting these pictures in Jim's memory. His 1911 / grip combination are the finest I have ever seen. Rest in peace Jim.