Springfield or Colt???? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-03-2020, 03:55 PM

Springfield or Colt????

I'm relatively new to the 1911 platform. I have a Sig TacOps in 10mm that I love. It's time for the next acquisition. Looking at either a Colt or Springfield. Was looking specifically at a Combat Elite or a Loaded model but would be open to other suggestions. While price is always an issue, it's not the driving factor. Will be used for HD occasional carry and will be shot... a ton. Would appreciate any suggestion. Thanks
Old 01-03-2020, 04:23 PM

Here's my two cents, for free: You already have a very good, hard-working tactical type 1911. Suitable for any task you assign to it.

Why buy another in the same catagory?

I suggest something different from the 1911 World: An older, blued or nickel, full size commercial model in .45 ACP.

Because it's the Real Deal. A TRUE legit COLT .45 that isn't a variant, a "tribute", a reproduction, or someone else's take on the original.

It's the baseline civilian 1911, in the right caliber. The root & trunk of tree which all the others are branches.

And when your buddies ask "what gun is that?" you answer ""a Colt .45"

Then when they say "a Kimber? a RIA? you say "I said a COLT FORTY FIVE!!"

You can collect other stuff later.

That's my .02
Old 01-03-2020, 04:52 PM

1911's suck. Get a hi-point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 05:01 PM

I'm going to suggest a Colt also. I'd suggest the Lightweight Commander .45ACP. It's a bit different from other 1911s will stand a lot of shooting, is a dream to pack! And it's a Colt!
Old 01-03-2020, 05:18 PM

If it's not a Colt, it's a copy.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:22 PM

Depends...

I'd go Springfield, it's a 70 series, the Colt has 80 series firing pin block, Kimber uses the Schwartz system.

70 series for me all day long.

Look at a DW.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
You bet 1911s AND single actions!
Although copying is the sincerest form of flattery!
Old 01-03-2020, 05:31 PM

I have both Springfield, and Colts. I shoot both, but the Springfield's are my working guns. Springfield has excellent customer service, and I used their custom shop to upgrade both pistols.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:36 PM

Springfield Defender
Old 01-03-2020, 06:11 PM

It's all Colt all the time here. I'm coming down on the side of Colt.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:18 PM

Since the only two 1911s I have anymore after many different ones over the decade are a Colt Combat Elite XSE and a RIA GI type, I'll go strongly on the Colt CE side.

However, as was noted above. Taking the time and finding a clean, older Colt commercial model is a fine thing. And if you come across a clean older Colt in .38 Super. Grab it.

Since you are already in 10MM, how about tracking down a Colt Delta Elite in the same caliber?

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 01-03-2020, 06:21 PM

The correct order of acquisition is this.....

1. Colt

2. Ed Brown

3. Alchemy Custom Weaponry

4. Done
Old 01-03-2020, 06:35 PM

Colt

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 01-03-2020, 06:50 PM

My advice; don't get locked into a brand just on emotion. I have several of both and there isn't enough difference between them to measure. I just got a Springfield Defender "mil spec" for $475.00 and you're not going to get a nicer pistol for twice the money regardless of make. Fit and finish is excellent, nice rollmarks, nice features like match barrel, lowered and flared ejection port, beveled mag well, three dot sights, really nice park finish...if it's your cup of tea. It would be a very nice base model to upgrade from and build on. It's every bit as nice as my Colts, and even nicer in a few ways.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:38 PM

I agree with everything said. Colts are great and all of mine function fine, the SA Defender is also great, but mine has a fitment issue with the thumb safety. For the $300 difference you can just about buy a case of ammo...or a bunch of magazines. Both have STIFF plunger tubes that make getting the slide stop back in a real nightmare, but for my Colts, one from 10-8 Performance fixed that. It wouldn't fit the SA, though.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:49 PM

Colt.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 01-03-2020, 10:02 PM

Get a used SA TRP (or new if you wanna spend the money). They are a very good gun for the money!
Old 01-03-2020, 10:16 PM

Have several of both, like both. It's just that Colt has been through so many corporate ups and downs, that I think you have to be a bit more careful buying one and know what to look for. A MilSpec Springfield is a fine gun on its own and a great starting point for custom enhancements.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapping Twig View Post
Depends...

I'd go Springfield, it's a 70 series, the Colt has 80 series firing pin block, Kimber uses the Schwartz system.

70 series for me all day long.

Look at a DW.

Not all new Colt models do.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyomatic View Post
I agree with everything said. Colts are great and all of mine function fine, the SA Defender is also great, but mine has a fitment issue with the thumb safety. For the $300 difference you can just about buy a case of ammo...or a bunch of magazines. Both have STIFF plunger tubes that make getting the slide stop back in a real nightmare, but for my Colts, one from 10-8 Performance fixed that. It wouldn't fit the SA, though.
In the past every Springfield 1911 I ever bought, which was a mix of GI and MILSPECs, and a few copies of each, always needed some work with either the thumb safety or the grip safety. If it was the thumb safety it was just too hard, like leave you with a very sore thumb just doing presentation drills hard. That was usually taken care of with the plunger tube being polished up inside some. If it was the grip safety it was that the safety would not fully disengage consistently even with a good grip. That usually involved removing some metal. I left that stuff to the gunsmith to do.

The SAs always worked 100%. Even the used one I bought that had a buffer in it. It started disintegrating at the range and the slide action went into slow motion. Never failed to eject or return to battery. It just did it all in slow motion. I pulled the buffer parts out, cleaned the gun, and things went back to normal.

That said, I still think the idea of a Colt as next 1911 is right just because. That and I don't like the crap Springfield and Rock River pulled a year or so ago in IL with their lobbyist selling out the dealers and the people. Then a slacker apology when people got pissed.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 01-04-2020, 12:34 AM

If it ain’t got the Pony, it’s a phony

Seriously though, I love my Colts and while the Springfield is a good gun it doesn’t quite do it for me. I would maybe go for the 70 Series Government, r as was suggested earlier, a lightweight Commander is a super nice gun. Another gun I have that I really like but it was only made for a little over a year back in 2011- 2012 is the enhanced lightweight Government. A really sweet gun.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
If it’s not a colt it’s a clone.

But I own a few different brands of 1911’s. The colt, auto ordnance, Springfield Armory, even a norinco for a build platform any 1911 here will serve you well. For me it’s the AO or sa in 45acp.

But going through hell with no underwear on it’s my norinco 1911.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 01-04-2020, 12:40 AM

If cost is no object I'd go with Colt.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:47 AM

I had long wanted a .45 govt. model. The cost attraction of the Springfield was strong, but ultimately....
I had always wanted a genuine Colt, the longest and best known name in...well if not American mfg. history, at least hand guns! I decided nothing less than the real deal...from the company that had the longest history and experience in mfg 1911s. I bought a Competition model, which for the money was a great deal. I still have yet to put a lot of rounds through it, but it has been flawless so far, breaks down quickly and easily, and ...its a Colt. The real deal, not a Colt wannabee.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:28 AM

First, between the Colt Combat Elite and the Springfield Loaded, there are pros and cons of each. In favor of the Springfield are:
  • The Combat Elite has a firing pin block (Series 80) and the Loaded does not. Most people can feel the firing pin block when pulling the trigger. You can certainly get used to it, but to me, it's a minor irritant. I own multiple Colts with firing pin blocks, so it's not a deal killer. The Loaded has a different passive safety which is not de-activated by the trigger.
  • The Colts I have purchased all have trigger pulls of six pounds or more. Some people like this, but I like mine lighter. Other than the "Milspec" model, the Springfields I have tried all seem to have lighter triggers than the Colts. I do have an older Loaded model and used to own a Milspec.
In favor of the Colt:
  • As evidenced by the irrational "If it's not a pony, it's a phony" philosophy, Colts do retain their value a bit better. However, if you're a shooter and not a collector, this shouldn't matter. Get the gun you want to shoot because most guns are historically bad investments.
  • Less MIM, if you adhere to "less is better". I do.
  • The Combat Elite has a checkered front strap. The Loaded does not. I like checkering or scallops on my 1911s. On some of those I have without checkering, I have put on wrap-around grips like those here (ugly but functional): https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1115381652
Then there are some strictly subjective considerations such as finish on the guns, preference of full length guide rod (Loaded) or GI length guide rod (I think that is what is still in the Combat Elite).

I alluded to those who think everything not a Colt is a counterfeit. However, different manufacturers have been making the M1911 (and later the M1911A1) since WWI. Nobody disses a Daniel Defense AR-15 as a copy of the ArmaLite. If you collect Colts, that may be a consideration, but for most of us, it shouldn't be.