Police officer trying to shoot pet dog accidentally shoots self - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-20-2019, 02:16 PM

Police officer trying to shoot pet dog accidentally shoots self

Dog allegedly charged at him when the door was opened in a call for service.

Shot his own hand in the rush to draw and fire.

Doggie Karma maybe ???

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...y-shoots-self/

Quote:
“When the police officer got to the front door of the residence, the family pet -- happens to be a female boxer named Bella -- ran right past him and went toward the officer," Leone said. "The officer was in fear, drew his firearm and fired one shot.”

Leone said the officer’s hand got in the way of the gun’s muzzle.
Reminds me of the 21 foot rule... i.e. the Tueller Rule when confronted with a suspect with a knife, 21 feet is the safe distance before you can draw and shoot if someone comes running at you with a knife. Except a dog is a whole lot faster.

Sorta sends a message to keep your dog under control at all times, especially when calling 911.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:31 PM

I love how they say ‘hand got in the way’.
COTEP#782
Old 12-20-2019, 02:34 PM

Left hand was not well trained on what to do so it defaulted to pressing out and got shot
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2019, 02:49 PM

Right hand didn't tell the left what it was trying to do.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:29 PM

Another case of Glock hand.
Wouldn't have happened with any other weapon. The grip angle was clearly at fault!!
Old 12-20-2019, 03:42 PM

Folks often mock the mechanical nature of teaching the draw stroke, but this GunTalkTV video on the 1911 with Gunsite's Ed Head (beginning around the :35 mark) shows keeping the support hand on the chest - which will be out of the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGGxwJrrABY
Old 12-20-2019, 03:57 PM

It's Karma, for sure! A dog that rushes you won't bite if you remain motionless. If you run or act aggressively, he'll likely attack you. Rapid arm movements are perceived as aggression.
Well, yes, I have a few guns...
Old 12-20-2019, 04:19 PM

There are a lot of people who are afraid of dogs. Sounds like this officer might be one of them. It sure sounds like he or she panicked. I believe a gun would be my last choice in that situation. Pepper spray or a baton would be better, but most times, a good loud shout will freeze a dog long enough for the owner to take control.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:11 PM

Good training. Either you got it - or you don't. Also not knowing exactly where BOTH of your hands are in any situation is a Very Bad Thing. I also happen to believe if you are hiring officer candidates you really must ask (or test them) if they're terrified of dogs. If they are then they DO NOT get hired. There are plenty of other good jobs for those people. As a U.S. citizen I can be armed and walk around but I CANNOT shoot every dog that "frightens" me. Reckless endangerment and stuff...........
Old 12-20-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Another case of Glock hand.
Wouldn't have happened with any other weapon. The grip angle was clearly at fault!!
If you in fact were not joking with your statement there...

He says it better than I can.
Attached Thumbnails
barnes.jpg  
Old 12-20-2019, 05:33 PM
Administrator

I've always been able to intimidate a single domestic dog, sometimes several. Domestic dogs are used to dealing with a human alpha. If you act like an alpha, they'll respond. An aggressive step toward them, coupled with a "NO! BAD dog." has always worked for me. A trained attack dog is different. A pack of dogs is different. A dog that is already engaged in an actual attack is different. But a charging domestic dog is not that big of a threat... if you don't act like prey. If one wanted to bite me, he probably could, because it probably wouldn't even occur to me to draw down on a charging dog.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:14 PM

Well I guess a boxer can be pretty big, and the H.O. should have thought about this possibility before they opened the door...But, WTH, don't they teach cops in that location to do anything else beside shoot stuff with the intent to kill? How about some pepper spray, cheeze, is this the first cop in the entire country that had an otherwise tame dog come after him. WTH are they teaching these cops about entering a home...That video is comical with all the back up cops running into the house. Some years ago, I had to wait 3 hours for the cops to show up at my house for a minor theft on my property (outside the home). When I called the non-emergency #, I should have just said our cat was assaulting a cop and I could have had my entire local PD at my house to take the theft report right away ;-).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 12-20-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:45 PM

In my experience with many different dog breeds, Boxers are not generally automatically aggressive to strangers unless they have been taught.

And has been mentioned, acting as an Alpha will often stop a dog in its tracks. But not always. It would not stop mine.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:05 AM

I know of a couple " pit bulls " More like American pit bull terriers as there a bit smaller and lighter and overly friendlier in the 45 to 60lbs that will run to you whinning head down and a bit sideways are all about giving you plenty of licks and tail wagging and after the first rub as they run up to you will go belly up and sound more like a crying baby . Old florida neighbors had boxers a they would run at you and bark junp around but only wanted some attention too .

You can learn to " read " most dogs eyes and attitude but many of todays today leos are not season well and don't always react well and can be quick to assume the worse , even shooting first worry later . I worry more about the dog that looks at you with cold eyes while moving slowly even stalking you or a really aggressive dog . Not likely to find an aggressive dog in a retirement park . Anyhow the cop only grazed the dog and it will be fine .

Old 12-21-2019, 05:40 AM

In all fairness to the cop, maybe he thought it was this dog charging him :-) - here is one for the K9-Cops (that is an amazing dog!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwp2tulNuA
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 12-21-2019, 08:15 AM

Broward County? There must be something in the water down there.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
If you in fact were not joking with your statement there...

He says it better than I can.
Well, of course!
I was just trying to strike a nerve or get the Anti-Glock fans to pile on!
I’m an instigator! Besides, the crap trigger was to blame for squeezing too hard and pulling the aim to the side!
Old 12-21-2019, 08:44 AM

I can’t imagine needing a gun with a dog, but I wasn’t there.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:56 AM

Never had a problem with a dog --- until one bit me, requiring medical attention. Still a dog lover.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
I can’t imagine needing a gun with a dog, but I wasn’t there.
There was a video on YouTube that showed someone’s Pit Bull latched onto the arm of a young woman and would not let go. They were hammering on the damn things head with an aluminum bat and it wouldn’t let go. Animal control had to shoot it. Another was shot in the park by my house a couple years ago. Two A-Hole Pit Bull owners brought three of them to the park and let them run “off leash”. Animal control was called and one was shot because it had injured someone’s dog and was acting aggressive. The owners should be thrown in jail. Too many people just think they are a badass because they have one of these dogs. No training, no tags and shots......you know the demographic I’m talking about. Certain people shouldn’t have guns either!!
Old 12-21-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
There was a video on YouTube that showed someone’s Pit Bull latched onto the arm of a young woman and would not let go. They were hammering on the damn things head with an aluminum bat and it wouldn’t let go. Animal control had to shoot it. Another was shot in the park by my house a couple years ago. Two A-Hole Pit Bull owners brought three of them to the park and let them run “off leash”. Animal control was called and one was shot because it had injured someone’s dog and was acting aggressive. The owners should be thrown in jail. Too many people just think they are a badass because they have one of these dogs. No training, no tags and shots......you know the demographic I’m talking about. Certain people shouldn’t have guns either!!

Yeah, I get it. I’m sure there are situations where crazy dogs need to be shot. I’m just thinking if I see a crazy dog I’m going for my pepper spray if possible.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Well, of course!
I was just trying to strike a nerve or get the Anti-Glock fans to pile on!
I’m an instigator! Besides, the crap trigger was to blame for squeezing too hard and pulling the aim to the side!
Go have your fun...
Attached Thumbnails
2p6adt.jpg   6969e275e905ebc2b8bc858937e8dff4.jpg  
Old 12-22-2019, 07:34 AM

Sounds like a justified shooting to me, I'm sick and tired of seeing pets shot for doing their job.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
Go have your fun...
I can’t stand it!
I want the red and green one for Christmas, it comes with a lump of coal!
Old 12-22-2019, 04:46 PM

Metal batons are my favorite!