1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Florida Teachers Can Now Carry Guns

Law goes into effect today Oct 1 2019.

36 of the 67 school boards (Counties) have opted in.

Broward where the Parkland shooting occurred have elected not to arm teachers as well as the majority of the large Demotard majority counties.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/10/0...rdian-program/
Quote:
In Florida, the Department of Education reports 36 of the state’s 67 districts are participating. However, the state’s largest school districts, including Miami-Dade and Orlando, have opted out of the program, choosing to rely on armed police officers instead.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:36 PM

When that session came about, the Snot Sentinel put out a screed asking for people to phone in and write in to oppose this measure.

I took the opposite tack, of course, and said they should be armed -- and trained. Send 'em to Gunsite, said I. Oops, Snot Sentinel didn't think people could think for themselves!

Of course BRoward chose to not let them carry, Broward is retardedly Democrat.
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 10-01-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
When that session came about, the Snot Sentinel put out a screed asking for people to phone in and write in to oppose this measure.

I took the opposite tack, of course, and said they should be armed -- and trained. Send 'em to Gunsite, said I. Oops, Snot Sentinel didn't think people could think for themselves!

Could teachers transfer to a different district??
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post

The school board here is dumber than a bag of rocks.

First, they manufactured that homicidal miscreant with their liberal ideology and flawed curriculum, then they let him slip through the cracks, and then when he goes out and does what he was telling everyone what he was going to do for three years, the idiots on the school board reject the recommendation of the state's school safety commission which recommended arming teachers and revising the "PROMISE" program.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:51 PM

Just the fact that they may be armed is a hell of a deterrent. Blue cities will still have school shootings . I was in a south florida high school in 1968 and there was a shooting in the women's bathroom.

Last edited by kwo51; 10-02-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
Could teachers transfer to a different district??
Transfer is not really the correct term. You don't work for the State, you work for the district.

You can quit your job in one district and apply for a position in another district.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:59 PM

I believe Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties, the farthest northwest in the state, and both fairly conservative, are not allowing teachers to carry.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Transfer is not really the correct term. You don't work for the State, you work for the district.

You can quit your job in one district and apply for a position in another district.

Thanks, that would probably be a pretty risky step.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I believe Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties, the farthest northwest in the state, and both fairly conservative, are not allowing teachers to carry.
There are always exceptions. We had plenty of Republican state legislators make anti-gun laws in the wake of the Parkland shooting.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:52 AM

Florida schools and "armed" teachers

Unfortunately, just because a county authorizes teachers to carry weapons in the classroom, the reality is this: It is still up to the local school board to approve it.....and I doubt many school boards will allow it.

School boards have several members that have to agree on the approval....just getting two members to agree on any school board subject is not always easy!

We will have to wait and see how many school boards approve of teachers carrying weapons in the classroom....
Old 10-02-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
Unfortunately, just because a county authorizes teachers to carry weapons in the classroom, the reality is this: It is still up to the local school board to approve it.....and I doubt many school boards will allow it.

School boards have several members that have to agree on the approval....just getting two members to agree on any school board subject is not always easy!

We will have to wait and see how many school boards approve of teachers carrying weapons in the classroom....
This is exactly right. To make it worse is the fact that even in rural counties like mine the school system is predominately run by Democrats. Here in my county which is very rural Central Florida, the superintendent of schools was until recently a Democrat. She flipped because of the stance the Dems were/are taking on abortion. Trust me, she's still a Dem at heart, they shot down allowing teachers to be armed in favor of the school guardian program. Which in itself is a disaster waiting to happen (for the guardians).
Old 10-02-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post

Quote:
Regarding my post, for clarity, while I said "counties", I was referring to the school district decisions in those counties.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:17 AM

Another Florida trivia tidbit, that may or may not impact these decisions, is the majority of Florida school superintendents are in elected positions. Nationwide, most superintendents are appointed by the school board, which is not the case in much of Florida.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Regarding my post, for clarity, while I said "counties", I was referring to the school district decisions in those counties.
Correct, I also should have been more clear... one school board per county; and it is the school board that decides on the gun issue, not the county commissioners.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Escambia and santa rosa county both have armed SRO's ( private security but firing quals at FDLE standards)
Old 11-09-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Escambia and santa rosa county both have armed SRO's ( private security but firing quals at FDLE standards)
They may be paid by the school district, but those SRO's are sheriff deputies.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:35 PM

I am retired now but when I worked in a major bank I carried daily. It was expressly forbotten. Early on in my career there was an armed robbery in my branch. I watched one employee Pistol whipped and another teller drug around by her hair. That was the last day I was unarmed and have carried daily for the last 25 years. The state passed a law saying that it is not against the law to carry then regardless of local policy I would damm well be armed. Jobs are temporary. Dead is forever