Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-25-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsproduction View Post
From the article;

Please advise if I'm wrong but I've been told that no law enforcement officer has the right to confiscate or even demand to hold any of my legally issued licenses. This came up in regards to pilot's licenses when ramp checked, they can demand you show the document but they cannot legally demand that you hand it over to them without due process. If so I hope everyone remembers this for the future. looks like we may need to use every Constitutional protection we have.
that is not correct. a driver's license like a ccw permit is issued by a local or state governing body and it can be seized and sent back to that governing body. it happens all the time with DUI arrests.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:15 AM
Adminstrator

Quote:
From the article;
Quote:
“No he just told me to hand [the firearm license] over so I took it out of my wallet and handed it to him.”
Please advise if I'm wrong but I've been told that no law enforcement officer has the right to confiscate or even demand to hold any of my legally issued licenses. This came up in regards to pilot's licenses when ramp checked, they can demand you show the document but they cannot legally demand that you hand it over to them without due process. If so I hope everyone remembers this for the future. looks like we may need to use every Constitutional protection we have.
The FAA is not law enforcement.
And them doing a ramp check is not a law enforcement action. But a pilot's license doesn't belong to the pilot, it is issued by the federal government and they can take it away if you are found operating outside the rules. Same as a driver's license or for thtlat matter a CCW/LTC/CHP or whatever alphabet grouping you want to call it.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:38 AM

RED flags are NOT American flags. Spread it around.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
From the article;

The bigger question is, what did you do to trigger them asking for it? As far as a highway stop, what do you think they are supposed to do, memorize your DL information? Of course they are going to “hold” it and they will confiscate it too if you have warrants.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:46 AM

I guess we are not alone thinking about this...

Quote:
Violent rhetoric about an impending civil war is on the rise, said J.J. MacNab, a fellow specializing in anti-government
extremism at George Washington University’s Program on Extremism. “It used to be just the militia guys saying this
stuff, and now it’s gone totally mainstream,” she said.

She pointed to a YouTube video posted in June that drew 1.4 million views. The video detailed how the electrical grid
in “major leftist cities” could be taken down, and concluded that another civil war was inevitable and would be won by
the right wing.

Georgetown University’s Institute of Politics and Public Service this month released a poll that found a majority of
Americans think political, racial, and class divisions are worsening, and that the average voter believes the United States
is two-thirds of the way to the edge of a civil war.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1X812B
Old 10-29-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
From the article;

I think you're making an assumption the license belongs to you - as in a "driver's license". But it doesn't. My CA DL reads "Driver License" with an inference the physical license belongs to the state, as does the privilege of operating a motor vehicle on public roadways. After all, one doesn't need a DL to buy or own a car, nor to drive it on one's private property. Also, the back of my OR non-res CCW reads "your concealed handgun license may be seized and returned to the Sheriff".
Old 10-31-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
Shame on us. ALL of us.
Whatever. You can own the shame, I'm not going to.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsf View Post
I think you're making an assumption the license belongs to you - as in a "driver's license". But it doesn't. My CA DL reads "Driver License" with an inference the physical license belongs to the state, as does the privilege of operating a motor vehicle on public roadways. After all, one doesn't need a DL to buy or own a car, nor to drive it on one's private property. Also, the back of my OR non-res CCW reads "your concealed handgun license may be seized and returned to the Sheriff".
Why this gets all wrong I dunno.

I have possession of the damn card, it's my driver's license. "the license to be possessed by the driver as shown on the card".
The driver license (noun), as in card issued by the AHJ. Yes, it belongs to (aka owned by) the AHJ.

Now you can debate Arkansas and Illinois

Quote:
From the article;

Please advise if I'm wrong but I've been told that no law enforcement officer has the right to confiscate or even demand to hold any of my legally issued licenses.
I suspect for some things, perhaps pilot lics, PD has no jurisdiction of that lic. If PD has a legit reason to hold your driver license then I suspect they can. However, I not sure if they hold your car lic is that means your privilege to drive has been suspended or not. Only a court can order the suspension (so I thought).

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 10-31-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:50 PM

I appreciate the Great State of Alabama more every day!
Old 11-01-2019, 06:58 AM

I’m still not getting the argument.
If you screwed up and have given the state a reason to legally suspend your license, they will take it. I don’t think anyone is saying that they will try to randomly take it without cause. DWI, darn right they will take it. Anybody want to argue that??
Old 11-01-2019, 03:46 PM

this guy gets it ^^^