LEO Off-Duty and Retired carry % - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-28-2019, 11:40 AM

I am almost never with out a weapon on my hip off duty. Even mowing my lawn. Usually a glock. Not something I spend a lot of time thinking about. I know plenty of co-workers who don't carry off duty, not regularly, anyway.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR505 View Post
Newly retired. I try to carry wherever permissible. Have my state CCW permit and my LEOSA creds for HR218.
Forgot to add...I am currently carrying a Colt Combat Commander in .45 ACP that has been NP3 finished by Robar Guns in AZ. My preferred holster is a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. Seems like a good setup.

Last edited by DR505; 08-10-2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2019, 07:27 PM

21.5 years and I've carried off duty 100% for 21.5 years unless prohibited (federal building and military bases).
Well, I'm flying to Fort Bragg next week so I will be unarmed for a week.
I plan on carrying all the time after retirement as well. 1,365 days to go.

80% of my coworkers carry off duty most of the time.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowser View Post
21.5 years and I've carried off duty 100% for 21.5 years unless prohibited (federal building and military bases).
Well, I'm flying to Fort Bragg next week so I will be unarmed for a week.
I plan on carrying all the time after retirement as well. 1,365 days to go.

80% of my coworkers carry off duty most of the time.
Good to hear, I worked 40 years and was kind of worried about the “younger guys” not carrying. Very happy to find that I could be wrong in my assumption. Seems to that me many of the younger guys were only cops for 8 or 10 hours a day. Thank you for your service and dedication, I would like to find out that I was wrong.

Chowser, maybe you if could make it to the shoot in Youngstown next month, a few of us Leo’s and retired along with non will be there. Three day shoot at an LEO range with a mixed group of Leo’s and non. Actually a Wilson Mini-Bash but you would be welcome regardless of what gun you shoot. PM me for info.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Last edited by apipeguy; 08-10-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:20 PM

Old habits die hard. (even retired)
Just like the American Express Card commercials
from years ago
Never leave the house without it.
Usually a .380 Astra Constable in front pocket
or a Browning Hipower IWB in the winter

Not my monkeys
Not my circus
Not my problem
Old 10-15-2019, 07:46 PM

Qualified today with three guns...Colt Commander in .38 Super, Glock 19 and a Kahr PM9. Was also going to shoot my pocket gun, a Kahr P380 but brought some ammo that turned out to be defective so I may run back up later in the week as the department that does the quals for us has another session Thursday.

Spoke to a retied CO from the NH State Prison who was one of their firearms instructors who was shooting today. He said he knows of only two other retired COs who have done LEOSA certification...sad.

Bob
Old 10-20-2019, 02:00 AM

Active and 100% of the time. Sometimes long gun as well. Its amazing what you can put under a stroller and no one bats an eye.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:43 PM

I retired from the North Carolina State Highway Patrol after 30 years. I carried a Beretta 8357 as my duty weapon and a Smith & Wesson 442 in an ankle holster. Now days I carry a Sig Sauer P290 in the summer months and a Kimber Ultra Carry .45 when it gets cooler. I never leave home without a weapon. I'm too young to die and too old for an a$$ whoppin'.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:04 PM

Retired from federal service 9 years ago but never leave the house without a firearm. Carrying a Glock 17 IWB today and it carries great with a Relentless Tactical Suede holster under a Carhartt sweatshirt. I use the same holster to carry a Glock 19 and 23 and sometimes even a 33. Amazing product. Staying in shape is the key and I can carry IWB wearing a tshirt or sweatshirt with jeans. I hate having to wear a cover garment.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:18 PM

I've now been now retired for several years after carrying the almost daily weight of a badge and/or gun for 50+ years and would feel exposed without it. My Credo is (as it pretty much always has been) that: "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by six" **except when/where prohibited (i.e. - airlines & various gov't facilities, which I now avoid anyway; however, most locations, (e.g. - gun shows), accept my retired LEO credentials with professional curteousies extended) even during brief periods in the past while in non-active commissioned civilian status. My daily Concealed Carry Pocket Weapon is a S&W J-frame revolver in caliber .32 Fed Mag w/3" ported barrel & green laser grips.

Last edited by TejanoViejo; 12-07-2019 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-09-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan View Post
Have asked these questions to many LEOs over the years so I thought I would throw it out here....

For present or past LEOs:

Do you carry:
All the time
Some of the time
Rarely if ever

Your Department:
What percentage of the officers carried OD:
All the time
Some of the time
Rarely if ever

Bob
I rarely carry off duty. I usually only carry when doing this that I think would put me or my loved ones in "more dangerous than normal" circumstances, like going to a run down mall, bad side of town, Craigslist sale, etc..

Most of our officers from what I know rarely carry in this area. One carries religiously off duty.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:14 AM

I'm active LEO...

Do you carry: All the time

Your Department:
All the time 70%
Some of the time 25%
Rarely if ever 5%

Retired officers you know:
What percentage carry:
All the time 50%
Some of the time 10%
Rarely if ever 40%
Old 12-27-2019, 11:30 PM

Do you carry:
All the time

Your Department:
All the time 50%
Some of the time 40%
Rarely if ever 10%

Retired officers you know:
What percentage carry:
All the time 50%
Some of the time 10%
Rarely if ever 40%
Old 01-02-2020, 04:47 PM

RE- Off Duty.. We were such a "fun" place to work they paid us to carry off duty .

While minding my own business and just driving home at end my 2000-0400 shift I drove into 2 shootings, and as I was puling into my yard there were 2 guys loading a TV into their car, NOT mine, but came from a house behind me. Then I had a street gremlin try to strong arm rob me when I was going into a shoe repair shop in downtown while off duty. When he woke up he was handcuffed to a parking meter.(always carried cuffs while off duty)

In my years there in the city there were 5 different bar robberies where off duty cops interceded in the activities. I was there for one.

So, yeah, off duty was more than a job, it was an adventure.

So, I am retired now almost 16 years now...
and
just received word for Mich Dept of Corrections that a guy who was eligible for parole in 2012, and who they just released is now free to pursue his interests that kept him in prison for all those extra years... he kept telling folks inside that when he gets out he is going to kill the cop who put him in along with his ex-wife. Well, she is dead from natural causes. There are other folks on his list but I seem to have moved to the top... The guy is an obsessive compulsive and nothing is ever his fault. so yeah, time to make the 1911 my constant companion again.

All this started when I was working UC for one of the big joint Fed,state local drug task forces and a northern county needed someone who looked like a biker.. and if he had any explosives experience it would be a plus. The guy was looking for someone to kill his ex-wife and her boyfriend. SO, before it was over with he went off for two "solicitation of murder" convictions and I was the bad guy?????

Is this a GREAT occupation or what????
Old 01-05-2020, 07:15 AM

Something struck me as I read NW GUY's comments above.

The guys I know who carry all the time off duty are the cops who put bad guys in jail on a daily basis. The guys who do not carry are the ones who drive (or drove) around and did their best to avoid arrests as much as possible.

Anyone else see that pattern?

Several weeks ago my narc guys were getting ready for some street arrests. A new guy to the unit said that he had to go out and get his gun out of his car. Mind you he is on duty and has been for several hours. I told him to finish his caseload reports and prepare for his transfer back to the street the next day. His Sergeant was unable to get him to understand what the big deal was. I never tried.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:32 AM

DRM...can't say I've seen the same. One of my best friends who is now a Lieutenant of Detectives in a fairly large organization is one of the most active on his department and he never carries OD. His reason..."It makes me feel like I'm on duty"... And this guy is a regular shooter and hunter....

Same with the last two organizations I worked at...some REALLY good people...and no one carried OD....

Bob
Old 01-06-2020, 10:49 AM

I can echo what Superman says.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:55 PM

For any New Hampshire officer either retired in-state or out of state now living there...

Chief Jim Burroughs of Newport, NH is retiring and will now be running the Pinnacle Gun Shop Training Division. He will be running recert classes for retired officers.

22 Coitview Dr. Newport, NH 03773 603-843-8667 (right down the street from the Ruger plant)
Old 01-07-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
RE- Off Duty.. We were such a "fun" place to work they paid us to carry off duty .
just received word for Mich Dept of Corrections that a guy who was eligible for parole in 2012, and who they just released is now free to pursue his interests that kept him in prison for all those extra years... he kept telling folks inside that when he gets out he is going to kill the cop who put him in along with his ex-wife. Well, she is dead from natural causes. There are other folks on his list but I seem to have moved to the top... The guy is an obsessive compulsive and nothing is ever his fault. so yeah, time to make the 1911 my constant companion again.

All this started when I was working UC for one of the big joint Fed,state local drug task forces and a northern county needed someone who looked like a biker.. and if he had any explosives experience it would be a plus. The guy was looking for someone to kill his ex-wife and her boyfriend. SO, before it was over with he went off for two "solicitation of murder" convictions and I was the bad guy?????

Is this a GREAT occupation or what????
Maybe contact DOC and get a current pic of Subject so you know what he looks like now....Make sure You show it to household members.

A lot of States, LEO personal info is protected and confidential and exempt from Public records, hopefully this applies to You.

Layers of security around the House, Fenced yard, locked gates, Video surveillance, Motion activated lights,a good Dog, etc. Get to the Range at least monthly and practice drawing and firing from the Holster. Stay proficient, Alert, and Armed.

Talk is cheap, especially jailhouse talk..remember, just as You have gotten Older, so has He. Maybe ask the Neighbors if they see anything/anyone that looks out of place, don’t confront, but get a Tag number/description and contact you. Stay Safe!

Last edited by Mike 139; 01-07-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:55 AM

Been retired 17 years now. Never carry.

OD when serving. Rarely carried.

Now that I am getting older. May change. Could eyeball situations and people and scare
guys out of me as a target. Never worried about it. Now that I am in my 70's, I can see guys eyeballin' me and sizing me up. Eventually, I fear, one is going to be dumb enough
to try it. Behooves me to be prepared, as it does each of us.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:06 PM

Still Packin'

Retired . . . 100% . . . 3" J-frame Pocket Carry in .38 +P+ or .327 fed mag with green laser grips !!! . . . I, too, am in my late 70s, too old to fight & live too *&%#@* close to Wash, DC . . . I will not become a victim at this late date after 50+ years as an LEO !!!

Last edited by TejanoViejo; 01-08-2020 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-08-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM813 View Post
Something struck me as I read NW GUY's comments above.

The guys I know who carry all the time off duty are the cops who put bad guys in jail on a daily basis. The guys who do not carry are the ones who drive (or drove) around and did their best to avoid arrests as much as possible.

Anyone else see that pattern?

Several weeks ago my narc guys were getting ready for some street arrests. A new guy to the unit said that he had to go out and get his gun out of his car. Mind you he is on duty and has been for several hours. I told him to finish his caseload reports and prepare for his transfer back to the street the next day. His Sergeant was unable to get him to understand what the big deal was. I never tried.
I SPENT over 5 years working as a UC on one of the big joint drug task forces, Fed State local etc
Before I went in I spent a LOT of time doing ghetto duty so I had the "right" attitude and talk for working narcotics. Interesting thing is over that 5+ I opened a bunch of new cases because of off duty approaches by guys who wanted to sell me something right out of the blue. I looked that "bad" (didn't cut my hair or shave for those 5 years)
To me police work was never a paycheck job, it was a mindset and I couldn't turn off the "ON DUTY" light if I tried.
As I said we got paid to carry and even if we weren't I still would have because I was never really off duty except when I was on my motorcycle several states away.. Just the way I was wired.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 139 View Post
Maybe contact DOC and get a current pic of Subject so you know what he looks like now....Make sure You show it to household members.

A lot of States, LEO personal info is protected and confidential and exempt from Public records, hopefully this applies to You.

Layers of security around the House, Fenced yard, locked gates, Video surveillance, Motion activated lights,a good Dog, etc. Get to the Range at least monthly and practice drawing and firing from the Holster. Stay proficient, Alert, and Armed.

Talk is cheap, especially jailhouse talk..remember, just as You have gotten Older, so has He. Maybe ask the Neighbors if they see anything/anyone that looks out of place, donít confront, but get a Tag number/description and contact you. Stay Safe!
I have all his info, recent pics, even where he is living although it is against MDOC policy to reveal the location of parolees so they won't be bothered by victims or their families. He is actually barred from traveling in 2 different counties and several cities.

INTERESTING THING is.. as I was working this case, long before he was arrested, I told my supervisor, the county detective working the case and the county prosecutor that some day when he gets out he is going to kill someone or someone is going to have to kill him. There is a big list of people who are on his forbidden contact list and he has to wear a tracking collar like a bear for National Geographic until his parole expires in 15 months. The reason he was kept way past his earliest release date was the prison shrink thought he was too dangerous to let out. So, either he finally figured out how to game the system or he really has changed, but I personally do not believe it. IF you looked into this guy's eyes you would know he operates on a different wave length.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions but rest easy, I am not the typical retiree who puts on 70 pounds and never gets any exercise and drops from THE BIG ONE.
I live in the middle of nowhere north woods with a 1/4 mile long drive buried in the trees. I have one other house on my drive and they have his full packet. I have cameras and motion sensors and 150 pound Rottweiler male who hates to have his nap time interrupted.
As for firearm skills, I shot different 3 gun completions for over 20 years and while I may not shoot the 30,000+ rounds of just practice a year anymore.. I could still make your life interesting if you are in eye sight range out to 1000yds.

I know the area where I live and I have no delusions about quick help response. After midnight there will be 1, that is ONE car working the entire county so response time could be VERY long, even hours unless they wake someone up. So, if the goblin ever shows it will pretty much be self help all the way.

I have NO lights on motion sensors. IF he is stupid enough to come calling in the dark I want him feeling secure in the dark, but if you saw my place with night vision it is lit up like a prison yard in IR... and all the cameras work IR.So, he can think he is in the deepest of shadows but he will be visible to me.

I really don't expect him to do anything for a while just because he is on such a short leash. I had a lengthy talk with his PO and he said he has never seen someone come out of prison with so many conditions attached. He was surprised they released him at all. With his GPS tracker if he gets within a mile of my place it will send a signal to MDOC and then to the PO and that is if he is just driving by without slowing or stopping. If he actually stopped at the end of my drive, and then went on he is violated. So, for the next 15 months he is under tight rein unless he decides to go on a suicide run and go in a blaze of glory. In either case, by the time he gets 50 feet up my drive I will know about it because of the sensors. And, he can't really bypass the drive without cutting through other peoples yards to do it, so he will be seen.
and with the IR camera on the drive I will see him a long way away.

so thanks for the tips and concerns but for now I think I have it covered.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:40 AM

NW Guy

Stay safe. Sad that the world requires that kind of mindset but it does. Glad you are prepared.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM813 View Post
NW Guy

Stay safe. Sad that the world requires that kind of mindset but it does. Glad you are prepared.
Today is National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day... To borrow a quote from Blue Lives Matters, ď At the end of the day, all we got is each other ď