Carrying with a weapon mounted light - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-03-2019, 01:34 PM

Carrying with a weapon mounted light

This should start some discussion, among my coworkers in law enforcement and people I shoot competition with, I am in the minority in that I always have a weapon mounted light on my duty gun and concealed carry gun. Looking to hear others thoughts on the topic.

https://youtu.be/gULhoaTLWLI
Old 07-03-2019, 02:19 PM
Banned

I dont think its mandatory for a civilian ccw. Most ccw shootings happen at super close distances and are over quickly. When im off and at home, i frequently carry without a light. That said, you can get a light to match the length if damn near any firearm these days, so i find myself getting more and more lights to my personal stash. You may not need it, but it never hurts having one. Clearing spaces with a hand held light and a gun sucks ass.

For duty? Yeah. A wml is mandatory.

Operationally? NODs and a wml are mandatory.

Shtf/grid down? Wml mandatory, NODs preferable.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:58 PM

Yep. You are in the minority.

If I'm anywhere other than on my property, there is no place that I go at night where it's so dark that I can't see:

A. My sights, and

B. An assailant.

Anyplace that's too dark to see either of the above, isn't anywhere that you'll find me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 04:07 PM

In L/E WML makes total sense. I retired in 2005. WML's became reliable a few years before. Holster availability delayed universal acceptance until the industry caught up.

One aspect that delayed acceptance was training and liability issues at some departments. Upper "admin" at my department was sure a WML would lead to N/D's as the result of LEO's pointing their weapon instead of their hand held flashlight.

The same liability can be said of "civilians" using their firearm as a flashlight and having an N/D.

Before attaching a WML and using it requires discipline and training/practice.

Train, practice, train, practice and repeat.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:56 PM

Everybody is free to choose whatever way they want to carry. Here are a couple of data points

From Tucker Gun Leather https://tuckergunleather.com/faq/

Quote:
Q. Does Tucker recommend carrying a defensive pistol with a light attached to an accessory rail?

A. Tucker says, "If you're on a SWAT team, go for it. If not, your pistol is a quick-response tool for a sudden and extreme self-defense situation. If you have a light on the gun, you may find it distracting enough to slow down your response."
Tom Givens, referencing night sights, but applicable to weapon mounted lights

https://civiliandefender.com/2016/04...vens-glock-35/

Quote:
...in the 60 plus defensive shootings his students have been involved in, the lighting (or lack of lighting) was a factor in the outcome in exactly ZERO cases.
and Tom Givens on how the concealed carrier has different need/requirements than the LE and military.

https://americanhandgunner.com/featu...ns-fight-back/
Old 07-03-2019, 07:05 PM

Every pistol that I use for carry has a weapon mounted light on it and I also carry a stand alone light as well. All my AR's are weapon light equipped as well and my SBR is set up night vision.

I do a lot of low light or no light training and if used correctly they are extremely beneficial when it comes to ID'ing shoot or no shoot targets.

Biggest problem I've seen when people first get a weapon mounted light is they don't feel or thing they need to train and practice with the light. There are techniques for using a weapon mounted light. Most thing just turn it on and leave it on is all they need to know.

Also, do not use your weapon mounted light as your every day use flashlight. Carry a stand alone light for that.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:06 PM

I have one on my duty gun. I also have them on my off duty guns that can use them.

My duty weapon is a Glock 31 with TLR-1HL. My off duty Glock 32 has a Streamlight TLR-7. My 33 does not accept a WML. I also always have a handheld light on me.

Last edited by Chowser; 07-04-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Now that Streamlight has brought out their TLR-7 I fully plan to go with it for CCW as soon as I can scrape together the coin for it and a holster.

I said it before there is no faster way to positively ID a threat and then put rounds on target then a WML. Anything else is holding your gun with one hand.

As for WML or handheld light let me just say the correct answer is not OR but rather BOTH. Both have their place. In todays modern tech age a single cell light can put out more light then a 5 D-cell mag light of 25 years ago. That needs to be your primary. Once you think "hey this looks bad but I need to be sure before I cut loose" that when the WML comes into play.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:25 AM

On duty I always carry a light on my pistol and a secondary light for looking at things. Off duty I have to say I carry a light mounted gun about fifty percent of the time.

Not because I do not believe in them, which I do, but because some of my favorite holsters for my favorite guns do not allow them. Last week I slid the 1911 that my mom bought me before she passed away into it's old IWB holster and went shopping with my lovely wife. It just made me feel good to wear that gun, as it always does.

I am gradually switching by buying holsters that accommodate lights. As mentioned a good class on lights/guns like Surefire puts on is invaluable.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:29 AM

On a home defense weapon 100% need. On duty/military/zombie gun? 100% need. My carry gun? meh. I have one on my shield and have a holster to carry an M&P full size with it, but find i don't. I'm in Texas summer right now. I work in the day light, my office has skylights, and carry a decent pocket light. With young kids I'm not out at night.

when that changes, I do carry a light but really it's more rare than anything these days.

I understand the appeal and need but I'm unlikely to be in a situation so dark I have to decide shoot/no shoot and ID a target while out in the world.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:04 PM

I don't due to comfort, anything I carry 3 oclock or nightstand DOES have a very stronge light on it though. I always have a high power flashlight too when carrying and it only slows me by 20% when used with the gun for drills.......6 second vs 5 second FAST so I'm fine with not having a light on the gun. I would prefer it, but I can't go the whole day with full comfort and movement with one.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 07-04-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye fan View Post
Every pistol that I use for carry has a weapon mounted light on it and I also carry a stand alone light as well. All my AR's are weapon light equipped as well and my SBR is set up night vision.

I do a lot of low light or no light training and if used correctly they are extremely beneficial when it comes to ID'ing shoot or no shoot targets.

Biggest problem I've seen when people first get a weapon mounted light is they don't feel or thing they need to train and practice with the light. There are techniques for using a weapon mounted light. Most thing just turn it on and leave it on is all they need to know.

Also, do not use your weapon mounted light as your every day use flashlight. Carry a stand alone light for that.
Yeah, it's not just left on lol!

I can just see someone asking for a light and someone else pulls their WML out! That would be funny as heck!
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 07-04-2019, 02:53 PM
Banned

Last edited by Buccaneer12; 07-04-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:34 AM

I carry my custom shop Colt M45. Carries well in a Raven Concealment holster. Added a S&A magwell but that will be changed to the new Stan Chen shooter installed magwell.
Attached Thumbnails
524B937F-6722-43A5-94F9-471CDE470532_1562329827473.jpeg   045F6820-8622-4059-B14D-41DAD2F01F71_1562329907551.jpeg   69BCF845-C8A3-4E0C-903A-B7CA9B4A6B98_1562329967715.png  
WC TSG 9/45 Vickers Elite 9mm EDC X9/Nighthawk Classic Bob Marvel SS 9mm/EB PATRIOT 3 EB KC/KC LW/SACS TGO-1 PC9111 Nowlin PC9111R PC9102 Nowlin PC9104/Colt SCGRG SCGRGC M45/Anvi III /MEUSOC 1911/1943 Ithaca/Les Baer 1.5 TR NRA Life Member
Old 07-06-2019, 10:25 AM

All home defense carbines, shotgun and pistol all have a 1000 lumen mounted light. I also have hand held also. No reason why not.

As far as CC, I cant think of when a weapon mounted light would be used to identify a potential threat. Drawing your CC to light up someone to identify them could be considered brandishing a weapon. At the distances of a true self defense shoot, the attacker is very close. Lastly the difficultly of finding a holster that will accept a light. I have a hand held that I carry both CC and not.

And has been said, the use of a weapon light is misunderstood. Probably due to how they are used on TV.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:16 PM

ALWAYS Keep The Gun Pointed In A Safe Direction
This is the primary rule of gun safety. You cannot do that if you are whipping a gun mounted light around in a possible defense scenario. Instinct will cause the person to point the light/gun at the "bump" in the night and this is not smart if you don't know what you're pointing at. No amount of training will prepare one for the Real Deal despite whatever they may believe. As well, what if the light goes bad or you have a Class III malf? You're screwed out of not one, but two tools desperately needed.

Leave the gun mounted lights for the SWAT team.

Guy Noir, private eye.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:37 PM

My interest in them is for protection from dangerous animals.
Streamlight has a couple for pistol and shotgun that look good.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:23 PM

I've probably close to a hundred hours of low light / no light training. There is no handheld technique, and I've done all of them, that comes close to getting as good hits as WML allows. Current generation of WMLs like SF XC1-B is actually reasonably concealable so there is really no reason to not to if you want to. I've not done that though. First, the holster stable redo would be major pain in the arse. Second, you still must have handheld for ID'ing. My main reason though is that most of my carry is with RDS enabled guns and you don't need to illuminate the target to see your sights on it, which is why you need a WML.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:25 AM

For night time home defense a mounted light is preferable to not having one I think. For self defense related to CCW I don't see that much of a need. For a LEO who might be stalking someone at night a light is essential but for normal CCW self defense how often are you in a place where you are in such darkness that it is necessary? A self defense situation at night away from home is going to happen extremely fast and at close range with little time to deal with a light.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:10 PM

Yep, you are definitely in a minority, especially if working Dayshift.

No light-mounted weapons for me. I am old-school and carry a small, LED flashlight clipped inside my shirt. It's always there and is readily available.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 07-07-2019, 01:22 PM

20190306_105029 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

One stays in the night stand, the other is with me at work and around the house at night.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:21 PM

Maybe we're in the minority but...

...I like having my TLR-6 under my 1911. Its small but powerful enough to make carrying it no big deal and it makes low light shooting MUCH easier. To each his or her own, but with today's small lights I don't see the benefit in NOT having a weapon mounted light.

So, TLR6 on the gun and a 1000 lumen Fenix in a belt mounted holster next to the spare mag, is my daily carry.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epb1265 View Post
... but with today's small lights I don't see the benefit in NOT having a weapon mounted light.
Just a for instance - if your preferred carry gun has no rail, or your preferred concealment holster such as a Sparks Summer Special or VM II or any number of popular holsters isn't available for a gun with a mounted light...

Whatever you choose for yourself is probably the right answer for you, but I'll let folks make their own decision on what is right for them, and a lot of them don't have a desire or need for a weapon mounted light on a concealed carry gun.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:58 AM

On and off duty I carry my G17 MOS w/RMR and x300U.