Gouged barrel rifling...still safe to shoot? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-27-2019, 06:24 PM

Gouged barrel rifling...still safe to shoot?

Long story short, I bought a Range Officer Operator 9mm off a buddy with a messed up barrel. I got it for a price that even a braindead person would say yes to.

Basically, he once got a squib or something stuck in the barrel and used chopsticks to try and hammer it out. The chopstick broke, and he used another chopstick to try and push everything out. That broke too and after a while, he plugged the barrel damn good with chopsticks, like an idiot.

He eventually took a drill with a drill bit to try and clean it all out. It worked well at the start, until the drill bit "caught" and messed up the rifling a bit.

I have personally seen him shoot the gun numerous times afterwards without issue. The barrel isn't bulging or anything crazy like that. I know it will eventually need a new barrel soon. My question is, is it safe to continue shooting it like this recreationally at the range in the mean time?

Pic:

Thanks
Old 06-27-2019, 06:26 PM

If there are no accuracy issues presenting themselves, I'd not worry about it....
Old 06-27-2019, 06:29 PM

I'd call it ruined but not dangerous to shoot.
It will be fun to see just how "combat serviceable" it can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2019, 06:42 PM

Is this said buddy..............oh nevermind

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2019, 06:42 PM

Let er rip. I've got a muzzleloader with a gouge deep enough to make you cringe. But it still shoots well.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfarmer 1 View Post
Is this said buddy..............oh nevermind

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'll ask the question...

was this Range Officer his only gun (hopefully)?
'99 Colt CCO, Colt Officer's ACP Enhncd, Springfield LWT Compact compensated .45, Springfield LWT Compact Night.45, Kimber Super Carry Pro, Kimber Ultra .40, Kimber Combat Carry .40, Kimber Pro Carry 9mm/.38super, Beretta 92C, M&P PC ported .40 CORE, M&P 2.0 Compact .40, S&W 4040PD, S&W 296 44spl, S&W 65-5 3", S&W 625-6 & 629-2 Mtn Guns.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:57 PM

This ought to be a Universal Sticky for everybody who might be tempted to try to poke out a bullet with a stick.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:03 PM

Should be fine.....least you didn't stack 11 shots in a pre-model 10 and ruin the gun entirely. Happened to one of my guns with a friend who didn't realize that the steel not getting hit was not him missing.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 06-27-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:34 PM

Looks like he used tool steel chopsticks.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the responses guys! It was his first 1911, and he has since purchased a Lipsey's Springfield Combat Operator 45 lol

Gun was stock when I took it from him, minus a 10-8 slide stop (per my recommendation).

Yesterday, I detail-stripped and ultrasonic cleaned it, added some tension to the extractor and the following new and used parts I had laying around for this gun.

- Nighthawk Custom one-piece magwell
- VZ Gunner grips with slotted screws
- Harrison extended mag catch with a lighter spring
- Fitted a C&S short and smooth-face trigger
- New springs
- Surefire X300 Ultra-B

I also had an unfitted Kimber ambi safety I set aside for this gun (I'm a lefty) but surprisingly, there wasn't enough meat on the safety to lock up against the sear. Oh well...gonna order an ambi safety soon and maybe a 10-8 rear sight. Can't wait to try shooting it! How she looks now:

Old 06-28-2019, 06:46 AM

Well. now you have a perfectly good reason to get a 38 Super barrel and fit it to the gun.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:31 AM

Beautiful gun, glad the new owner will treat it right! If the gouge is only a gouge, you should be ok... however if the drill left high spots to shear and catch lead/Copper you could develop a build up rather quickly. (Possibly leading to an obstruction) I would pull and check the barrel after a few shots to verify that's not happening.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL View Post
Thanks for the responses guys! It was his first 1911, and he has since purchased a Lipsey's Springfield Combat Operator 45 lol

Gun was stock when I took it from him, minus a 10-8 slide stop (per my recommendation).

Yesterday, I detail-stripped and ultrasonic cleaned it, added some tension to the extractor and the following new and used parts I had laying around for this gun.

- Nighthawk Custom one-piece magwell
- VZ Gunner grips with slotted screws
- Harrison extended mag catch with a lighter spring
- Fitted a C&S short and smooth-face trigger
- New springs
- Surefire X300 Ultra-B

I also had an unfitted Kimber ambi safety I set aside for this gun (I'm a lefty) but surprisingly, there wasn't enough meat on the safety to lock up against the sear. Oh well...gonna order an ambi safety soon and maybe a 10-8 rear sight. Can't wait to try shooting it! How she looks now:

So you did all that and chose not to replace the barrel too ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2019, 10:25 AM

You did all that and didn't opt to replace the barrel? Seems silly to sink bucks in to a gun with a F'ed up barrel in it, whether its safe to shoot or not, you passed on the most obvious thing to put money in to...a new barrel.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:49 PM

I picked up a 1942 Garand at a can't-miss price. Unfortunately the inside of the barrel looked like a sewer pipe.

I tried alternatively cleaning and shooting, cleaning and shooting. Still a mess.

The bottom line is that the barrel is likely very sound despite its trashed appearance. But I would definitely change it at the first opportunity.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel525 View Post
So you did all that and chose not to replace the barrel too ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yup. I only picked it up a week ago or so and only had time to really check it out a couple of days ago. The only things I've bought for it were new springs, the mag catch and the trigger. Everything else, including the X300, I already had laying around, so I just threw it on. It's not my first 1911, so I have lots of random parts laying around that I decided to throw on this gun.

Barrel change will be soon!

Thanks for the responses guys