Your Recommended Entry Level 1911. - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-14-2019, 07:53 AM

My first pistol ever was a DW CBOB I bought used...I just loved the way it felt and looked...shoots great...not too big, smaller guy, and looks great!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:20 AM

Mine was a lightly used Kimber Custom II Two-Tone in 9mm. Bought it at LGS when looking for a Colt Competition (which they didn't have). Still have it, shoots well, doubt I'd ever get rid of it.

NRA Member- thanks to David Hogg for recruiting me
Old 06-14-2019, 08:57 AM

I think the two things that make the 1911 more shootable over a basic model are sights and trigger weight. You then consider the accuracy level you want. Those will determine where you jump in at for your purchase.
I like adjustable sights due to the various loads available. Caliber weights a lot on wether you reload or not. Without reloading the .45 acp can get expensive to buy so 9mm may make sense.
I would lean toward a SA Range Officer, a Kimber or Dan Wesson or Ruger. There are a lot of options.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:43 AM

I have an R1 that's top notch in every respect. I like it better that the Colt that I own.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94045 View Post
I understand Allegory but then I'm not sure it really applies.

I tend to trade trucks every 2-5 Years at a cost of 2,000-3,000 a year yet I've never spent over $425 Cash on a handgun.

Doesn't mean I havn't used trades, points and gift certificates to get into some more expensive guns though. Also doesn't mean I wouldn't. I lost an auction I bid $1625 on just a few days ago (Came up $25 Short).
My comment was meant to be taking lightly, as I meant it primarily in jest: sorta-kinda. These sorts of threads often spiral into turf battles and brand bashing and all other sorts of hoopla over things that barely matter - and vehicles seem to always get tossed in, along with watches and whiskies, for some inexplicable reason. As for me, I do drive an ancient truck and have spent $1500 on a pistol (it happened once and it wasn't on a 1911, but that's another story). However, I wasn't kidding about the Springfields, Colts, and S&Ws. They are what I always recommend as starters based both on personal experience and what I've witnessed firsthand in the cauldron of action pistol matches over the last 20+ years.

Now back to regularly scheduled programming.....
Old 06-14-2019, 10:27 AM

Just to play the game, I will say a standard model from Colt or Springfield.
It will probably shoot OK for the casual user, reliably enough for defense once you have sorted out the ammo, and is upgradeable almost without limit.

Not counting small manufacturers with their own make or sourced parts, most heavily customized guns will be found to be Colt or SA.
Kimbers and Dan Wessons and Rugers etc are serviceable guns, with more "features" than basic Colt or SA, but you don't see nearly as many of them carried to the next step of refinement.
You don't see as many of the Other Brands set up for Master level competition at whatever sport, either.

You can of course get fancy. I have seen various Baers upgraded from good tight guns to FINE guns. So if you are willing to pay $2000 for a project gun, you can.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldir View Post
Colt, otherwise it’s a clone :-)
I see the Smiley but some people actually believe that. Colt bought the rights to the Browning Design for Civilian Sales and Foreign Sales for a given number of years. After that it's fair game, since even Colt isn't authorized by any authority to do so. The US Government already owned the Domestic Military Rights and therefore any pistol built for the US Government during the patent period would not be a clone either whether a Colt, Springfield etc.

In other words Colt produces an open source pistol as well as various other companies.

PS I don't consider all cars a clone of the Benz Patent Automobile either.

Last edited by 94045; 06-14-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Just to play the game, I will say a standard model from Colt or Springfield.
It will probably shoot OK for the casual user, reliably enough for defense once you have sorted out the ammo, and is upgradeable almost without limit.

Not counting small manufacturers with their own make or sourced parts, most heavily customized guns will be found to be Colt or SA.
Kimbers and Dan Wessons and Rugers etc are serviceable guns, with more "features" than basic Colt or SA, but you don't see nearly as many of them carried to the next step of refinement.
You don't see as many of the Other Brands set up for Master level competition at whatever sport, either.

You can of course get fancy. I have seen various Baers upgraded from good tight guns to FINE guns. So if you are willing to pay $2000 for a project gun, you can.
I think a lot of High End 1911's are built on Ruger Pine Tree Castings aka Foster/Caspian.

That said the devils in the details and while Ruger makes a fine casting the Heat Treat and Machining are proprietary to Foster I believe.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Is this in support of a purchasing decision or more along the lines of a philosophical exercise?
+1
In an ideal world, the pistol you start with should be the pistol you end with.
That way, you're spending your efforts on learning to shoot the thing, not gun smithing.
OTOH if you're looking for an entry level 1911 to learn how to be a gun smith..that's a different kettle of fish
Old 06-14-2019, 11:59 AM

Entry level for me would be a Dan Wesson, I stared with WC though and I consider those to be "standard" 1911s/pistols in general since it was my first exposure to both handguns in general and 1911s.

Kinda sucked in a way to start there since most guns don't really impress me much.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 06-14-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
Metro Arms American Classic
I just got my American Classic II AS my entry into 1911 world. I looked at most of the budget guns and the Metro Arms was a cut above in build quality. 3-400 rounds through it so far without problems. I was going to get this first 1911 as a sort of beater for +P and possibly .45 super but it's really a nice pistol! Maybe I'll just pick up an A.T.I. to abuse. I don't know. Maybe when I score a Dan Wesson or Alchemy I'll feel a little less love for the Metro Arms.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of High End 1911's are built on Ruger Pine Tree Castings aka Foster/Caspian.

That said the devils in the details and while Ruger makes a fine casting the Heat Treat and Machining are proprietary to Foster I believe.
Well, yes, but:
In the first place, the subject was complete guns, not one off assemblies from commodity parts.
In the second place, only Caspian receivers are cast, their slides are made from forgings. To wit:
"Government 5" Slide, Carbon
Our forgings are made in the USA with USA material of certified 4340 hi-carbon steel or 416 stainless steel. They are struck on Caspian dies and pre-heat treated to 37-41 RC before they ever see a cutting tool to insure dimensional stability."

And by the bye, they USED to cast slides, too. My gunsmith was not entirely pleased with the change to forgings, he said dimensional differences had crept in and he had to change some of his setups.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:12 PM

Colt competition got my first one in 45 cal for $700
Old 06-14-2019, 05:27 PM

I met a gunsmith several years ago who was an armorer for a reasonably large metro police force. The PD was using .40s but this gentleman carried the pistol he built in one of his gunsmithing classes. Bought a basic GI style Rock Island Armory .45, and gutted it. All new internals, hand checkered, very nice trigger, glass smooth action. He stripped the muted 2-tone factory Parkerizing, and replaced it with a matching medium grey on slide and frame, filled the slide engravings in gold, and generally built a fine pistol. I saw the top-of-his-class plaque in his office.

At one time, I owned a Rock Island that had been worked over by a different gunsmith. It was a far better pistol than the box-stock Kimber Pro-Carry II that I traded for it.

Also, the semi-custom STI Spartan was built on Rock Island(Armscor)-sourced slides and cast frames(IIRC). Just because Rock Island is inexpensive doesn't mean it can't be a good place to learn the 1911 pattern handguns.

All that said, I think if you're only going to get one 1911, it should be the best you can afford. My first was a full custom Colt Combat Commander for $900, almost 40 years ago. I carry a DW CBob now. But if you truly want to find out what the 1911 is all about, you should start with hammer bite, and such small sights that instinctive shooting becomes a viable tactic. This way, one will TRULY appreciate the difference between classic and modern 1911 designs. (like a lot of you, my Uncle Sam taught me many years ago, I like to think I learned well).

edited to add: I also agree that the Springfield Armory Range Officer is a great way to get started.

Last edited by justjed; 06-14-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:07 PM

This question has been asked too many times.

Springfield TRP.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 06-14-2019, 07:56 PM

Ya know, I actually dig the concept of "buying the Colt name" as long as it's a worthwhile product.

Because I think that owning a legit, real COLT .45 would be a pretty cool thing indeed.

A cool idea that I happen to have never indulged in!

Q: "hey, man, what kinda gun ya get?" answer: "I got me a COLT .45!"

You gotta admit that sounds right.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:08 PM

When I think entry-level, I think of someone who really hasn't used 1911s enough to know what they do and don't like. Therefore, I say two good ones are an RIA Tactical and the Springfield Mil-spec. Better can be bought once someone figures out what points they like and what they wish were different.

Psalm 144:1
Old 06-15-2019, 11:30 AM

I have experience shooting yet never bought a 1911.
Looking into the market I went with a SA mil spec in 2008.
SA has good reputation for customer support specifically lifetime warranty for service. Important as I did not have alot of gun Smith's nearby.
Also wanted the series 70 even though had titanium firing pin and ils system.
Though names mil spec it has three dot sight and flared and lowered slide.
Forged CS parkerized.
But after about six or so yea s I wanted to put on the beaver tail and features that the loaded model has.
So for the price difference I would recommend a SA loaded as a good first 1911 .
I did trade it in from the same LGS for a stainless loaded in 2014.
Only change I put the SA OEM mag with out ils. And RAASCO black dymondwood double diamond checkered grips.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
This question has been asked too many times.

Springfield TRP.
Why the TRP? It's not a fit gun so way pay the extra for the same level as a mil spec?
Old 06-15-2019, 01:50 PM

My advice would be get the best 1911 you can afford, like a COLT 1991, a basic KIMBER, o a REMINGTON R1 if you prefer.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:22 PM

That's why I started this topic!
To see these differences of opinion.
The market is in a constant state of flux.

Take my list:

Basic:
$500 Springfield Defender Mil-Spec
$800 Colt Series 70 Repro

Enhanced
$600 Kimber Custom II
$1200 Dan Wesson Valor
$1650 Rock River Arms Carry Pistol

... and one I left off...
$2000 Ed Brown Special Forces

Just a couple of years ago none of those pistols would have been on my list. They were not the buys they are now or in the case of the RRA were not being produced.

Some will argue with me (I know Kimber has a checkered reputation) and I think I might be more inclined to buy a RRA than an Ed Brown but those are great deals at that price point. A Colt is a Colt but only a few of their pistols qualify as great deals to me. But those few are on my short list.

A year from now it will likely be completely different.

As to entry point, one poster said, "buy the best you can afford". That is why I left it open. One person may struggle to buy a $382 ATI and another may pick up a $5000 Wilson and it's a rounding error on his daily interest.

Last edited by 94045; 06-15-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Since I started this...

Basic
$500 Springfield Defender Mil-Spec
$800 Colt Series 70 Repro

Enhanced
$600 Kimber Custom II
$1200 Dan Wesson Valor
$1650 Rock River Arms Carry Pistol

I figure #1 in enhanced is going to set off a little controversy....
Absolutely! You know the Kimber should be in the top list. And were it, I'd vote for the other two. Why would you want someone's first 1911 experience to be plagued with inferior parts and fitting of said parts? Kimber calls that pistol "Custom" , which I think means "owner needs to customize".

Last edited by liggett; 06-15-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Ya know, I actually dig the concept of "buying the Colt name" as long as it's a worthwhile product.

Because I think that owning a legit, real COLT .45 would be a pretty cool thing indeed.

A cool idea that I happen to have never indulged in!

Q: "hey, man, what kinda gun ya get?" answer: "I got me a COLT .45!"

You gotta admit that sounds right.
Agreed on all points. Mostly.

I've owned one colt 1911. But it was a Delta Gold Cup that my father liked so much I gave it to him for Christmas. But, yeah, owning an actual Colt is pretty cool. However, when someone says Colt .45, first thing that comes to my mind is an SAA.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:39 PM

Evolution Armory ; new colt comp O1970CCS with a Colt style Special Combat Government Treatment finished in Polished flat IonBond in black ...
Old 06-15-2019, 09:17 PM

Dan Wesson Guardian