Shot Timer - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-28-2019, 07:57 PM

Shot Timer

Not sure if this is the right section but Iím thinking of getting a new shot timer and curious what others are using and would recommend. Not a competition shooter but use it in my training running drills. I currently have a Pocket Pro that Iíve had for over ten years. Still works very well but curious as it is electronic and all the advances in the last ten years, what shot timer is the ďbestĒ.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 04-28-2019, 08:45 PM

I also used a pocket pro 2 for many years, but have a Pact Club Shot Timer 3 now. The main reason I switched is that the font on the pro "shrunk" over the years and I had to start using my reading glasses to see it :-). The Pact has much bigger font, no glasses needed. They both do more or less the same thing otherwise. The Pact seems to be a much newer design though.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 04-28-2019, 09:05 PM

Yah I have to wear glasses to see my Pro too, oh wait, I have to wear them to see the sights too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 09:16 PM

Pact Club Shot Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
I also used a pocket pro 2 for many years, but have a Pact Club Shot Timer 3 now. The main reason I switched is that the font on the pro "shrunk" over the years and I had to start using my reading glasses to see it :-). The Pact has much bigger font, no glasses needed. They both do more or less the same thing otherwise. The Pact seems to be a much newer design though.
+1 on this ... first/only timer Iíve owned and dead-simple operation ... though in full disclosure, some old hands at Pocket Pros seemed confused using it ... until Iíd remind them: itís just press this one button. After using it a few times about 1/2 would concede that they liked it. Mine might pre-date the model 3 ... itís not immediately handy to check.

Last edited by tgt_usa; 04-29-2019 at 06:16 AM. Reason: sigh
Old 04-28-2019, 09:50 PM

David

I'm in the market myself for a new timer. Looking into this one. Relatively new.
https://www.amg-lab.com/products/commander

JW
Old 04-29-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit View Post
David

I'm in the market myself for a new timer. Looking into this one. Relatively new.
https://www.amg-lab.com/products/commander

JW
Thanks, I had read something about that a few months ago and then could not remember the name and had not saved the site. Want to research it a little. Better yet, you could order it and then do a review here.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 AM

I have used PACT MK IV or whatever their flagship is called, Shotmaxx, two of them actually, Pocket Pro (old version), and AMG Commander timers. I would not recommend and don't plan on ever buying again the first two, I am very satisfied with a Pocket Pro, and the AMG is too new and I haven't used it enough to have a credible opinion. So far one-two negatives, but mostly positives about that one. If you want to read multiple opinions of early adopters, as well as replies from the AMG team, here is a link
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Lab-Shot-Timer
Old 04-29-2019, 03:51 PM

shot time

I use a shotmaxx. Like a digital wristwatch with a speaker in it.

On my personal range it works very well for me. Not sure how well it would work on a range with more than one shooter.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:54 PM

It works OK if you set it on accelerometer detection. It doesn't sense perfectly but senses OK. Until it breaks. I am, on average, once a week shooter although sometimes it is more than that, and I broke two in three years or so.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:10 AM

I have the pocket pro 2, it just works, easy to operate.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:54 AM

The pocket pro II is also my recommendation. I have a CED7000, and it works ok but is a bit small and cumbersome to use. Our club has PACT, original pocket pro's and the Pocket pro II. The Pocket pro II is the easiest to use and just the right size, and rugged.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:10 AM

Shot timers....

IMHO, Pact and CED shot timers are two of the top timers I have used in competitive shooting and training.

My CED-6000 is not small but has been extremely reliable for over 30+ years of use...Ö Like most all shot timers, it can be set for "instant" "random" or a "3 second delay" when you press the start button.....
Old 05-02-2019, 07:16 AM
1911 Aficionado

The range where I do most of my shooting has a dozen Pocket Pros, some of them 10-15 years old, and if I were in the market for a timer, I'd buy one just out of familiarity.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:11 AM

I have a CED7000 and a Shotmaxx. Our club has old Pacts.

If you shoot any long par time courses of fire, the Pacts will not work. Their par times only go to 99 seconds. PRS style stages often go over 2 minutes. Not sure what the new Pact timers par limits are.

Also consider par times on the lower end as well. My Shotmaxx will not go low enough for the par times called out in Stoeger's dry fire book.

They all "work", just compare the features. Some people's deciding factor is the size of the display.

My factor was the ease of switching modes, pars, delay, sensitivity, etc.. The CED7000 menu driven system is very easy for that.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:09 PM

My club uses mostly Pocket Pro II's and I have one of my own.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:07 PM

I also use the shotmaxx, very convenient
Old 06-07-2019, 04:11 PM

I just got Pocket Pro II like it so far