Tumbling before or after decap? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-14-2019, 03:20 AM

When I tumble after decapping, media in the flash hole is always a problem. If you use corn cob media like I often too, it is horrible. If the flash holes are bad, I just use a pocket reamer to clean them properly - much better than media would anyway. If I'm reloading for my bolt action rifles, I only neck size in most cases so there is no way to remove media from the flash hole with a decapping pin unless you want to go through an additional unnecessary step.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:52 AM

I've always decapped after tumbling just to prevent media inside the flash holes.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM CAPT View Post
Gents,
Progressing with my new hobby slowly. Finally have 200 rounds under my belt with the new Competition 45 and am experimenting with reloading once fired brass that I just shot and also new Starline brass.

Was hoping for thoughts on the best way to start the process for once fired. I just decapped 200 rounds using my RCBS decap and sizer die and was getting ready to tumble in my Hornady tumbler with a mix of crushed walnuts, corncob and some Nufinish/mineral spirits. Iíve been reading some older posts about 2 schools of thought regarding deacapping before or after tumbling. My concern is that I decapped using the 2 in one RCBS die and that I ran dirty brass through it while decapping and apparently sizing the case. The other concern Iíve read is the media getting stuck in the flashole during tumbling.

Any consensus as to the best way to do it? And should I deep clean my die if I was wrong?

Thanks!

Bobby
I don't shoot competition but I'm not sure how decapping first could help.
When I decided to reload it was to be able to run lots of several hundred at a time. I went with a Dillon progressive RL550B for efficiency and after over 10,000 rounds I can't come up for a reason decap prior to tumbling and adding a step to the procedure.
For a single stage, it probably doesn't matter
Old 02-14-2019, 09:02 AM

I tumble first and size/decap in one operation. I don't like the idea of running dirty brass thru my dies. I clean the primer pockets with a drill and Dewey Rod universal primer pocket cleaner. Media doesn't clean primer pocket that well anyway.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 AM

When I was using dry media I never de-capped anything prior to tumbling. I discontinued dry media due to dust and very fine residue. De-capping in the reloading process was also making a mess of my press (550C) not to mention chasing the errant spent primers around the floor.
I started wet tumbling 6 or 7 months ago and have been very pleased with it, cases including the primer pocket are clean and can be handled without the use of gloves although I still use them most of the time.
Before wet tumbling I use a Lee universal de-capper to avoid any possibility of moisture being retained in the primer pocket.
Pros and Cons:
Pro Cases come out looking brand new Reloading press remains clean No residue when handling cases
Con Wet tumbling gets cases "too" clean and need a little One Shot after coming out of the dryer to keep the press running smoothly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GySgt 7291; 02-14-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:40 AM

Is too clean a progressive press thing. Do you guys using progressives have issues when you buy new brass?

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-14-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Is too clean a progressive press thing. Do you guys using progressives have issues when you buy new brass?
I've encountered some sticking with the carbide dies also with new brass. I do clean the dies about once a month which is about 1k rounds, never much residue. The taper die has more than any of the others, fine brass residue and a little heavier after using new casings.
The reason I referred to it as too clean is I only noticed sticking on the flaring die after I discontinued walnut media. A light misting of one shot and mixing the batch by hand for a minute takes care of it.
A couple of the older and wiser bullseye shooters at our club had referred to wet tumbling as too clean.

Last edited by GySgt 7291; 02-14-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt 7291 View Post
I've encountered some sticking with the carbide dies also with new brass. I do clean the dies about once a month which is about 1k rounds, never much residue. The taper die has more than any of the others, fine brass residue and a little heavier after using new casings.
The reason I referred to it as too clean is I only noticed sticking on the flaring die after I discontinued walnut media. A light misting of one shot and mixing the batch by hand for a minute takes care of it.
A couple of the older and wiser bullseye shooters at our club had referred to wet tumbling as too clean.
Interesting, Iíve been wet tumbling for a couple years now and have never felt any issue when flaring either .45ís or 9ís. Prior to that it was just dry tumbling before doing anything since the 70ís. And again, Iíve never used a progressive, only single stage for me.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-14-2019, 11:11 AM

Pistol - Wet tumble, dry, size/deprime/load on a progressive

Rifle - Deprime, wet tumble with SS pins, dry, lube, size and trim, wet tumble, dry, load on a progressive

Precision Rifle - Deprime, wet tumble with SS pins, dry, lube, size and trim, wet tumble, dry, load on a single stage

Last edited by lhawkins; 02-14-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:16 PM

I de-cap & size .45 auto cases prior to tumbling and have never had any problems of any type. The size of your media particles will determine whether you will have any problems from de-cap before tumbling. I would try about 100 cases each way and see what appeals to you & your re-loading process.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
I'd say it's not just a progressive thing but when you get a couple stations worth of resistance at one time, you feel it much easier than in a SS. I add a tsp of AA Wash & Wax to my final rinse and they glide through dies like a lubed case, and it requires no clean up of lube afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJC View Post
I don't shoot competition but I'm not sure how decapping first could help.
It's a health advantage, not a point of impact advantage. For me, I load in my home office so cleanliness is paramount. I only bring in wet tumbled brass and new components.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:48 PM

It's a health advantage, not a point of impact advantage. For me, I load in my home office so cleanliness is paramount. I only bring in wet tumbled brass and new components.[/QUOTE]

I’m in the same boat—what used to be a home office is quickly turning into a reloading room, but I still worry about clean and not dusty.

So I guess the “too clean” I read about is real, just not a major deal. Since I just decapped 200+ rounds before tumbling, I’ll see how the dry media affects the primer pockets and go from there. Thought about compressed air to blow out the residue and then really thought about it and won’t lol.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Tumble first to clean the cases then run them through the whole reloading sequence, no tumbling after. Been doing it this way for over 40 years.
Same here, except precision rifle..I fl size, then tumble the lube off.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Wells View Post
I de-cap & size .45 auto cases prior to tumbling and have never had any problems of any type. The size of your media particles will determine whether you will have any problems from de-cap before tumbling. I would try about 100 cases each way and see what appeals to you & your re-loading process.
So what do you do about dirty cases going through your sizing die? 45 brass hits the ground so sand and mud are contaminates that it could and will stick to cases on occasion.

I have experienced both scratched dies and brass with sand as a contaminate.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:05 AM

Decapping before or after tumbling....?

Quote:
So what do you do about dirty cases going through your sizing die? 45 brass hits the ground so sand and mud are contaminates that it could and will stick to cases on occasion.
I always clean/tumble my brass cases before I begin the reloading process. I do not want sand or grit on the cases that may damage any of the reloading dies...…

I have never found decapping the cases first, then tumbling, an advantage, and is more of a disadvantage since it adds more time to the reloading process. As discussed previously, brass that is deprimed first may pick up bits of tumbling media in the empty primer pocket that is usually problematic

I reload for optimal efficiency to make accurate reloads for competitive shooting. I always start the reloading process with cleaned/tumbled cases. Even though I use a carbide resizing die, I use my own homemade liquid case lube and lightly spray the cases......it makes reloading easier on the arm. When my D1050 is set up with brass in the case feeder, 100 primers in the tube, and bullets in the tray, I am able to reload 100 rounds in roughly 8 minutes.....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 02-15-2019 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:36 AM

- Have a look at the primer pocket after dry or wet tumbling for residue, it's there but de-capping in the loading process you don't see it only the crud left behind.
- As long as you are using walnut/corn cob media de-capping before tumbling is a problem getting corn cob bits stuck in the primer hole.
- When you wet tumble without de-capping first moisture has a place to get trapped and could/will be a problem at sometime.
- A Lee breech lock press and universal de-capping die is inexpensive, easy to keep clean and keeps the grit out of your reloading press. For me time doing this is not a factor.
- Wet tumbling with the SS pins cleans everything like new.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

I think the jury has reached a verdict:

If you tumble your cases in media like corncob or walnut, the de-capping after tumbling is the way to go.

If you wet tumble, then de-capping prior to tumbling is the way to go. But use a "universal" decapping die, so that you don't scratch your good size/de-prime die.

NRA Life Member
Old 02-15-2019, 08:04 PM

Copy all....

Thanks much gentlemen for the great input!
Old 02-16-2019, 06:31 AM

I have a different approach depending on rifle or pistol.If it is pistol I only tumble before sizing and there done.If its rifle I tumble to clean then I use spray lube to decap and size and tumble again .I know its an extra step but I dont mind because I am not in hurry since its my hobby and its takes less than a minute to dump back in for another cleaning after all the tumble does all the work! I check pockets for debris before re priming and theirs always a few I poke out. I actually tested a long time ago with media in the pocket to see if the primer ignited the powder since I was curious if I ever missed one what would happen.The ones with debris went off like normal and the chrono showed no difference ,not saying thats it ok to have debris in the pocket by any means and I check every one but I was just curious.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
I have a different approach depending on rifle or pistol.If it is pistol I only tumble before sizing and there done.If its rifle I tumble to clean then I use spray lube to decap and size and tumble again .I know its an extra step but I dont mind because I am not in hurry since its my hobby and its takes less than a minute to dump back in for another cleaning after all the tumble does all the work! I check pockets for debris before re priming and theirs always a few I poke out. I actually tested a long time ago with media in the pocket to see if the primer ignited the powder since I was curious if I ever missed one what would happen.The ones with debris went off like normal and the chrono showed no difference ,not saying thats it ok to have debris in the pocket by any means and I
check every one but I was just curious.
Thanks man. Interesting observation....
Old 02-16-2019, 10:33 AM

For me it's always been a case of what the brass look like before hand. If it's pretty clean to begin with, I'll decap. If it's something I wouldn't want near my dies, I tumble then decap.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:59 PM

As a confirmed auto-advancing turret press reloader, I let the machine do the job it was designed to do. Namely, I place a tumbled clean once-fired case in the shell holder and never touch it again.

Station #1 - Deprime/resize/prime
#2 - Flare case mouth and powder charge
#3 - Confirm charge, Place bullet and seat it
#4 - Factory Crimp die, Inline Fab case kicker plunks finished round into tray.

Repeat.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-16-2019, 05:19 PM

Pretty obvious that one size does not fit all... Just because a machine CAN do it all doesn't mean that is should, in every circumstance. The beauty of a versatile machine is that is can work for a lot of people... But the reality is that what's BEST for me and you may not always be the same.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:53 PM

I load handgun on a 550B so I clean them first. I clean them either way for single stage loading, it doesn't matter.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:01 AM

I use small-grain size walnut. It cleans the primer pocket and does not get stuck in flash holes.