The Big Bad 10MM - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-13-2019, 11:27 AM

The Big Bad 10MM

I recently was witness to the Killing Power of the Big Bad 10mm.

A farmers cow got out into the roadway and was hit by a small car(totaled) and had a badly broken leg and traffic stopped because the road was blocked.
A few minutes later the farmer arrived and as the group/crowd gathered it was determined that the cow would be "put down" to end its suffering..
I go to my pickup truck to get the old lever rifle I always carry.

About that time Local cop arrives as I am about to shoot down the standing on 3 legs cow..
He tells me to "stand back"..as he draws the BIG BAD 10mm from his holster and tells everyone to look away because he is going to "dispatch" the animal..

I offer him my rifle and he says(with a smirk).."I don't need that. I have a 10mm"

He fires body shot..BANG!..The cow MOOS and runs on 3legs. dragging broken leg behind..He fires 3 running shots BANGBANGBANG!!
Cow stumbles but keeps running..now cop is running/firing behind cow..BANGBANG,,finally cow goes down..

He turns around to crowd and says.."im sorry you all had to witness that but sometimes animals have to be put down to end the suffering"

He holsters weapon and walks towards crowd to try and clear traffic
As cow tries to get up and is bleeding and crowd cant believe it..
Women/children crying..men are saying,"why didn't he use the rifle"?
Women yelling.."let itlive..stop shooting it"..

Cow still trying to get up//

Cop draws the "Big 10mm again and empties it..Cow goes down again and at the point cop is looking at his pistol and wondering what the heck is wrong?

I don't even know how many total shots he fired into the poor cow..

At that point you could still see the cow laying in the ditch bleeding/breathing/moaning

I finally walked back to my truck and put the rifle away and waited for traffic to start moving..

10mm?..No..Not impressed.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:42 AM

CSB?
I shot a deer with a 155 gr. 10mm XTP - deer ran about 40 yards and fell over, heart shot.
The exit hole on heart was bigger than a quarter.
Impressed? Yea.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:56 AM

One wonders about shot placement.

Secondarily, whether officer was using light 10mm loadings. IOW, not even close to Buffalo Bore (or similar). A light load with JHP might not penetrate sufficiently for a cow.

But my first bet is on dubious shot placement.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2019, 12:07 PM

Yes..I witnessed it and shot placement was THE single biggest mistake the over confidant in his weapon officer made..
The guy clearly was NOT a hunter or had even grown up on a farm or around large animals..
I have seen a butcher come out to my Farm and have him dispatch a large beef for slaughter with 1 well placed 22 round to the animals head.

I knew immediately this wasnt going to turn out well.. but to see the shocked look on the officers face that his BIG 10 wasn't killing the large cow and the shock from the crowd at what was happening was really sad..

It sounded like he fired 10+ rounds into the animal..
I'm pretty sure the gun was empty and he was reaching for his backup magazine as I walked away..

Last edited by trckdrvr; 01-13-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:07 PM

***! I don't know anything about putting down animal's but why would he use a body shot to start? This has nothing to do with the abilities of the 10mm but rather the lack of ability by the cop. Sorry to hear he caused so much needless suffering to the animal. Guess they don't have IQ-tests to become a cop in that jurisdiction.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 01-13-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:15 PM

I have NEVER seen a roadside animal engaged with a body shot...
Old 01-13-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
***! I don't know anything about putting down animal's but why would he use a body shot to start?
The cow had gotten up from the accident and was standing in ditch on 3 legs dragging broken leg..
I guess he didn't feel he could make a good head shot.

But where on body he aimed to make first shot?..beats me?
Where he was aiming with multipile follow up shots?..I don't know?

All i know was he was staring at his empty gun ..then cow..then back at his gun wondering?
Old 01-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
CSB?
I shot a deer with a 155 gr. 10mm XTP - deer ran about 40 yards and fell over, heart shot.
The exit hole on heart was bigger than a quarter.
Impressed? Yea.

How is that impressive?

You shot 100lb animal in the heart and it ran 40 yards?..no wonder the 700lb animal ran off after being body shot..

That 10mm was NOT the tool for the job(in my opinion)
Poor shot placement and using a handgun/carry gun instead of a rifle were 2 of the mistakes he made.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:41 PM

Should have made a head shot. .22 l.r. used to kill cows with one shot every day.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 01-13-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckdrvr View Post
How is that impressive?

You shot 100lb animal in the heart and it ran 40 yards?..no wonder the 700lb animal ran off after being body shot..

I have seen many whitetail deer do exactly that when hit with a 30-06. It's a dead run, and that's about how far they can make it before they tip over. Even with a 300WinMag, they don't always drop in their tracks.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:09 PM

Should have went for the head.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 01-13-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Should have went for the head.

Yep..No matter how big the animal..take the head out and the rest will soon collapse
Old 01-13-2019, 02:20 PM

When I was a deputy coming home from work I came upon an accident where a car had struck a deer. The deer crawled into some briars/vines and needed to be put down.

Some good old boy was walking with his scoped .270 rifle around saying I'll kill it. I didn't want to walk into the stickers/brush and asked him to dispatch the deer. He stot the shoulder and started bragging he blew the shoulder out. The deer was still alive.

I walked in the briers(tore the heck out of mu uniform), put my 9mm to its ear and killed it immediately.

Shot placement is everything.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
That 10mm was NOT the tool for the job(in my opinion)
Not the caliber that was at fault. 10mm's have been used to take down cape buffalo. As others have stated, it was probably bad shot placement or substandard ammo.

Just goes to show you that the energy dump theory of incapacitation doesn't work so well when the target is able to absorb the dumped energy. Penetration and a large permanent wound channel is a better route to take.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckdrvr View Post
Yep..No matter how big the animal..take the head out and the rest will soon collapse
Yep, hell there was a raccoon at work screwing with cars on the lot. It was shot through the body (serious hit, bleeding out and stopped moving) with a 9mm Barnes round but didn't die (not my shot). I felt bad so I shot it through the head to end it since even a lethal shot can take a good long while to actually fully kill something.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 01-13-2019, 03:06 PM

Was the cop's name Barney Fife?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH45 View Post
Was the cop's name Barney Fife?
No..and I actually started feeling sorry for him

He seriously thought he had a magic 10mm gun..I guess reading lots of internet stories and gunshop talk had convinced him he was carrying Clint Eastwoods mdl29..

You could see the confusion on his face as he kept shooting and shooting and it was not having much effect on the very large animal..
Old 01-13-2019, 03:39 PM

Where and when did this happen?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:56 PM

I actually think the local cop made a very poor choice turning down a rifle for a handgun (even a 10mm)
The rifle is easier to shoot more accurately and has more energy than the 10mm

10mm..have nothing on a 30-30....Yes..they are good handgun rounds..note: handgun rounds....But a 30-30 carbine is superior.
30-30 if you are looking for quick easy shooting of a powerful round. Preferable to any hand gun round.

Almost double the muzlzle velocity
and almost double muzzle energy

Caliber: 30 Carbine
Brand: Remington UMC FMJ
Bullet Weight: 110 grains
Muzzle Velocity: 1990 fps
Muzzle Energy: 967 ft lbs

vs.

Caliber: 10mm Auto
Brand: Remington UMC FMJ
Bullet Weight: 180 grains
Muzzle Velocity: 1150 fps
Muzzle Energy: 529 ft lbs
Old 01-13-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
Should have made a head shot. .22 l.r. used to kill cows with one shot every day.
Precisely.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191159 View Post
Where and when did this happen?
Around a mile north of my farm..and about 4pm
Old 01-13-2019, 04:11 PM

Funny. I was asking specifically. All those people standing around, crying, upset.

No news, no cell phone YouTube productions?
Old 01-13-2019, 04:14 PM

Bad shot placement. Poor cow. Could have been dispatched with a 22 by someone who knows how.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:27 PM

The cop was a moron. I used to be a farmer raising cattle. A head shot to the brain is necessary to put them down period. Ask me how I know.

NRA Life Member, Patron Level
Old 01-13-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
Bad shot placement. Poor cow. Could have been dispatched with a 22 by someone who knows how.
A 22 works sometimes. I finally quit and just started using my .357 after the 22’s would ricochet off their skull.

NRA Life Member, Patron Level