WC in house bluing - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 05:01 PM

WC in house blueing

Gents, looking for some feedback. I'm going to spec out a CQB and the only decision I keep having a problem with is whether or not to blue it.

Like some of you old-timers I love a blued revolver. I only have one .45 and it's a bead blasted stainless Wesson. I'm planning on shooting it, not a safe queen. I know WC has in-house bluing, or out house (lol) Turnbull or Baron. Can WC duplicate this blue finish in house? If not I'd just as soon spend the money on options and get it blued later. Assuming you can after Armor Tuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	27.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	526442

My 27-2

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jmr986; 06-14-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

In-house blue at WC

The idea of bluing later after Armor Tuff is a very spotty proposition that doesn't always yield the desired results; because the Armor Tuff is applied to carbon steel over a parkerized finish. As far as the in house bluing, you will have to ask if they can do that level of metal prep on a 1911, and if so, what would be the up-charge to do the extra prep before bluing. I think the Baron is probably a little too "mirror" for your purposes, but perhaps not - if you can find someone locally that has the Baron bluing to see what it looks like in person it will tell you whether that is what you want versus a slightly less reflective finish. Best to contact them and ask.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 06-13-2018, 05:15 PM

I really like the deluxe bluing with polished flats that Wilson is doing. Not sure you will get a bluing job comparable to the older Smith and Wesson’s or Colt’s without going to Turnbull or Baron. My blued Wilsons are used and carried and wear very well but as with any blued gun, they do wear. Personally I like the look of honest holster wear on my guns.

Can’t give a definitive answer but think I remember that you can not blue a previously AT’d gun. I could be wrong and hopefully someone can give you a definitive answer on that.

The current in house bluing by Wilson is very nice.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2018, 05:26 PM

They can not reproduce that bluing in house.

I have an in-house blued Supergrade with polished flats. Looks very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2018, 05:55 PM

I have a blue CQB. Very nice job, but not as good as Turnbull (which will stand comparison to prewar Colts). I think Turnbull is unique in using the old carbona blueing technique.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:39 PM

Here's a so so pic for comparison for you.
Left is Baron blue, center lower is deluxe blue, right is high polish blue.
At a point, I hope to add a Turnbull blue to round out my meager collection.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:21 PM

^^^^
Dayummm son!

Great examples, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:33 PM

Not recommended that you blue a previously AT'd gun. The tolerances are not quite as tight on an AT 1911 because of the thickness of the coating. The 1911 after having the AT stripped may have loose slide to frame and other fit.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:44 PM

I don't know who can replicate that, but nice revolver.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr986 View Post
^^^^
Dayummm son!

Great examples, thanks for sharing.
Thank you jmr986. My other custom 45 is blue as are my revolvers.
Yes, I like blued guns..
Old 06-14-2018, 06:01 AM

The old S&W revolver bluing is really special. Since the guns were polished on high speed wheels, they could really get an incredible shine without too much rounding of the metal. Also, revolvers are a collection of mostly round parts, so the wheels are necessary to polish them.

We polish our 1911's prior to bluing by hand with paper and block, the traditional way. We can't get you the same shine because we do not buff the surface, but we can get you a very nice finish similar to 70's Colt.
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
The old S&W revolver bluing is really special. Since the guns were polished on high speed wheels, they could really get an incredible shine without too much rounding of the metal. Also, revolvers are a collection of mostly round parts, so the wheels are necessary to polish them.

We polish our 1911's prior to bluing by hand with paper and block, the traditional way. We can't get you the same shine because we do not buff the surface, but we can get you a very nice finish similar to 70's Colt.
Python Blue, as I have known it is a very difficult process, time consuming and not forgiving of handling. Rob at Alchemy used to do about the best job(recently) that I have ever personally seen. Not sure if he'll do it anymore but worth checking. You could always get your gun in the white and have it done, assuming you got the time and the money
Old 06-14-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddymike View Post
Python Blue, as I have known it is a very difficult process, time consuming and not forgiving of handling. Rob at Alchemy used to do about the best job(recently) that I have ever personally seen. Not sure if he'll do it anymore but worth checking. You could always get your gun in the white and have it done, assuming you got the time and the money
Most gunsmiths that offer this service farm it out to a pro finishing house with the correct wheels to do a "Mirror polish". Sometimes this is called a "555" finish since that is the name of polishing compound used to create the bright finish.

Well known places that can do it are-

Fords, APW, Baron, Glenrock, Tyler Gun Works, Custom shop inc, and a few others.
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
Most gunsmiths that offer this service farm it out to a pro finishing house with the correct wheels to do a "Mirror polish". Sometimes this is called a "555" finish since that is the name of polishing compound used to create the bright finish.

Well known places that can do it are-

Fords, APW, Baron, Glenrock, Tyler Gun Works, Custom shop inc, and a few others.
BAM! There it is!
Old 06-14-2018, 09:13 AM

Just a footnote to already excellent replies above (+1911 all-around):

The problem with attempting to apply a polished blued finish to an existing AT finish is that the underlying steel has been bead-blasted and then immersed in a phosphoric bath solution ... Both of which create the polar opposite of a polished (or high polished) finish that's needed prior to blueing. Kind of like starting a road trip by going in the wrong direction.

Applying a blued finish to a "roughened" surface can, of course, be done, but it won't look anything like blueing a properly polished surface.

If someone does enough polishing, I suppose it's possible to remove the "roughened" surface created by bead blasting and the phosphate bath, but this is a difficult way of reaching the desired destination. And as NPV indicated in post #8, there is no assurance that the fit will be as good as before. (The microscopically thin layer of AT isn't the problem here; it is instead the prep work on the underlying steel surface that is cause for difficulties/concerns).

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 06-14-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Here's a so so pic for comparison for you.
Left is Baron blue, center lower is deluxe blue, right is high polish blue.
At a point, I hope to add a Turnbull blue to round out my meager collection.

Is the high polish on the right done by WC or Baron.

All 3 are beautiful.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:44 AM

It is hard to get a match for the old finishes. Nowadays you get either a semi-gloss or a mirror polish. What Colt and others call "Royal Blue" is a lot shinier than my 1978 Python.
I like the old High Standard ads. The Citations were "ground, polished, and blued." The top of the line Trophy models were "ground, polished, buffed, and blued."
Old 06-14-2018, 12:13 PM

Best blue I have seen in person is the unfired mid 70s python that is in the safe......shockingly well done and the polish is unrivaled. It's not overly bright but at the same time perfectly smooth and even everywhere.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 06-14-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauf View Post
I don't know who can replicate that, but nice revolver.
Thanks!
Old 06-14-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Best blue I have seen in person is the unfired mid 70s python that is in the safe......shockingly well done and the polish is unrivaled. It's not overly bright but at the same time perfectly smooth and even everywhere.
You mean like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	pyt.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	526666

I am spoiled, hence the dilemma.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr986 View Post
You mean like this?
Attachment 526666

I am spoiled, hence the dilemma.
Ah yes! Exactly like that lol!
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 06-16-2018, 07:59 PM

The blueing that Colt and Smith & Wesson were able to do in house back in the day is not an option due to changes in what the EPA allows with those compounds.

Fords and some other places can replicate those finishes with their polishing, and with new techniques.

Turnbull has a charcoal blue that is as outstanding as qny hint that has ever been done.

You will pay a lot, but it will look amazing.

Please be aware that there is also a member named Tom R. He and I are two different Site Members.

Last edited by Tom_R; 06-16-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsappl View Post
Is the high polish on the right done by WC or Baron.

All 3 are beautiful.
To my knowledge, it was by Wilson.
Thank you.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
To my knowledge, it was by Wilson.
Thank you.
That one on the right sure looks like a Baron "mirror polish" blue, like my original CQB. If Wilson did that one on the right, they must have a applied a special prep to the metal before bluing. Either way, gorgeous gun (and so are the other two)!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 06-17-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
That one on the right sure looks like a Baron "mirror polish" blue, like my original CQB. If Wilson did that one on the right, they must have a applied a special prep to the metal before bluing. Either way, gorgeous gun (and so are the other two)!
That is my Classic SG in 9mm. I didn't get the build sheet with the pistol at the time. Although it's a high option gun I don't remember it listing Baron Blue as the finish, and therefore wouldn't portray it as such. Everything is polished on it and yes it does closely resemble my Baron Blue CQBE 45.