Anyone with EDC X9 w/ Surefire XC2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-17-2018, 12:06 PM

Anyone with EDC X9 w/ Surefire XC2

Looking to see if anyone has added the Surefire XC2 light/laser combo unit to the EDC X9...and would LOVE to see a picture. Wonder how everything lines up an looks with the pistol.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
Looking to see if anyone has added the Surefire XC2 light/laser combo unit to the EDC X9...and would LOVE to see a picture. Wonder how everything lines up an looks with the pistol.

A couple of things:

1-the muzzle will stick past the combo slightly

2-I donít mean to be a jerk, really. The point of carrying a weaponlight is to enhance the effectiveness of the weapon, specifically in low/no light situations. What does it matter how it looks?

3-I prefer weaponlights that extend past the muzzle. The side benefit of this is it creates a stand off in contact shooting. Jared Reston has first hand experience with this and the lecture is on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2018, 09:41 AM

No jerkiness taken...I understand what you are saying. I personally like my weapon light to be flush or recessed. It looks better to me (which shouldn't matter), and it like the way they fit the holster better (which shouldn't matter either). For whatever reason, I just hate the look of a light extending past the muzzle. The XC1B is perfect for the EDC X9, but doesn't include the laser. Since I would never put laser grips on a WC, I thought maybe the XC2 would fit the bill; but it want to see a picture of what the setup ends up measuring out at. Just my personal opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2018, 10:59 AM

Anyone with EDC X9 w/ Surefire XC2

Quote:
No jerkiness taken...I understand what you are saying. I personally like my weapon light to be flush or recessed. It looks better to me (which shouldn't matter), and it like the way they fit the holster better (which shouldn't matter either). For whatever reason, I just hate the look of a light extending past the muzzle. The XC1B is perfect for the EDC X9, but doesn't include the laser. Since I would never put laser grips on a WC, I thought maybe the XC2 would fit the bill; but it want to see a picture of what the setup ends up measuring out at. Just my personal opinion.

Having time with the XC1B and the TLR 7, I like them both, but I like the TLR 7 better.

I have seen a slight benefit to lasers used in standoff situations, but when the gunfight/shooting begins, the benefit is lost due to tracking the laser in rapid fire. When drawing and immediately firing, I find 0 benefit to the laser.
Edited to add: Unless you are shooting behind a shield, laser is king in that situation.

KR Training and Texas A&M Huffines Institute did a study on irons vs laser vs red dot handgun shooting. They found novice shooters had better hits using the laser, intermediate with irons/laser, advanced red dot.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:19 PM

I like the TLR-7 also (brighter and easier to operate)...but I like the smaller profile of the XC1B better. As the study showed (as I'm no advanced shooter), but red dot has actually been a slower target acquisition for me. After I warm up to it, everything's fine, but for a true SHTF situation, I think it would be a disadvantage to me.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I like the TLR-7 also (brighter and easier to operate)...but I like the smaller profile of the XC1B better. As the study showed (as I'm no advanced shooter), but red dot has actually been a slower target acquisition for me. After I warm up to it, everything's fine, but for a true SHTF situation, I think it would be a disadvantage to me.

Yep, unless your willing to dedicate a lot of time to them, they are a hinderance. That being said, they are awesome for diagnostics. They will really clean up your draw stroke and trigger manipulation if you dry fire them frequently.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
Quote:

A couple of things:

1-the muzzle will stick past the combo slightly

2-I don’t mean to be a jerk, really. The point of carrying a weaponlight is to enhance the effectiveness of the weapon, specifically in low/no light situations. What does it matter how it looks?

3-I prefer weaponlights that extend past the muzzle. The side benefit of this is it creates a stand off in contact shooting. Jared Reston has first hand experience with this and the lecture is on YouTube.

That is a good point on contact shooting.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:50 AM

Take a look at the TLR-8. It certainly fit the bill for me. Older photo as the gun is currently at Wilson having a cosmetic makeover.
Attached Thumbnails
391302BB-EDB1-49EE-A046-0C2CD3DF8461.jpeg  

NRA Patron Life Member