Dads Gun pic on Twitter offends anti gunners - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-22-2018, 02:32 PM

Ha! I love that photo. But personally wouldn't share anything like that with the whole world...

Ignorant people get very scared, very quickly, when they see a person with a gun. A big part of that is fear of what they don't know, which I can forgive people for. And another big part is the mind/heart taking the path of least resistance, which typically ends with buying into the stereotypes, misconceptions, and pejorative generalizations floating around out there about guns and the people who have them. That, I have major issues with.

This day and age, there is always a critic, for everything, and all sides. If you put your stuff out there, someone will have an issue with it. So if you do, you just have to deal with it, like Mr. Feely did.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:41 PM

I love what everyone is talking about but I dont see the gun???
Old 04-22-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I agree, as pretty much everyone knows the term "shotgun wedding". By displaying a handgun instead it was too easy to miss the joke.
There is a grain of truth in every joke.

Holding the pistol was not the mistake...the mistake was putting the picture on Social Media.

Last point, Look at his daughter's face...she loves her Dad.

Last edited by HarryO45; 04-22-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
I love what everyone is talking about but I dont see the gun???
Click on the photo and a separate dialog box opens with the full length image.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:22 PM
Administrator

These days it's probably not a good idea to post any pics of yourself holding a firearm on social media unless your page is private. There are just way too many snowflakes on there who easily get offended at just the sight of a gun. That and employers tend to look at your social media pages as well. I had a co-worker who got into trouble once by calling in sick and then posting a pic a few hours later of himself and his girlfriend at a beach a couple hundred miles away.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
There is a grain of truth in every joke.

Holding the pistol was not the mistake...the mistake was putting the picture on Social Media.

Last point, Look at his daughter's face...she loves her Dad.
I'll agree here. These days folks are quick to share to the world everything. Just remember, you put it on the internet anywhere and it's out there for life! No take backs! I scaled back what I share to the world a few years ago. Life is so much more simple when you ditch the social media and actually have real friends in real life!

My oldest is 12 and she's probably one of a handful of kids that don't have a phone and we don't let her on social media etc...

Kids can't be kids these days because their life is broadcast for the world to see. I am glad I grew up before the internet was around.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
These days it's probably not a good idea to post any pics of yourself holding a firearm on social media unless your page is private. There are just way too many snowflakes on there who easily get offended at just the sight of a gun. That and employers tend to look at your social media pages as well. I had a co-worker who got into trouble once by calling in sick and then posting a pic a few hours later of himself and his girlfriend at a beach a couple hundred miles away.

You’re right, dsk. One has to be super careful, especially at the workplace. A friend of mine lost a $300K job with a financial investment firm when he was discussing a wrongdoing by one employee to another and was over heard saying, “wow, if someone did that to me, I’d kill ‘em”. Well, another employee decided to take that off hand comment, deliberately take it literally and went to HR. Next day he was fired. No need for pictures of actual guns - he was terminated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy18 View Post
F 'em if they can't take a joke.
To such people I say, "Micturate on you! I wasn't put on this earth to avoid offending you."
Old 04-22-2018, 03:51 PM

I'm a very conservative Christian man but I will admit to having been a teenage boy... most good boys had Dads that were not scared to threaten them, and not scared to carry out a threat that was ignored!
Old 04-22-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Yaworski View Post
What is "self agency"? Is that rightspeak for getting knocked up on prom night?
basically it means "my body my right! I can bone anyone I want without your permission you washed up old people!"
Old 04-22-2018, 06:04 PM

facebook raging about it is even funnier than twitter

https://www.facebook.com/TheGoodLord...35769063177449
Old 04-22-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telum Pisces View Post
I'll play a little devil's advocate here! And I have two daughters and a son. How do parents of boys feel when even jokingly, a parent of a girl he's dating does this! Even as a joke, it's still a joke about harming a teenager and your son! How does that make you feel as the parent of said boy?

I'm actually curious since my son is the youngest of the three kiddos I have. As the Dad to daughters, I say this a joke and in good fun and I'd probably do the same! As a Dad of a son, I kind of switch my thinking to the opposite and just think this is not cool even to joke about posing with my son and joking about harming him!

Boys kind of get the shaft in my thinking sometimes. There are some horrible teenage girls out there that can and will do a lot more than a boy would ever dream of doing while dating at this age.
I'll say, you have a point. If I'm not in on that joke, or I don't enjoy a close (or close enough) relationship with my son's date's family, and I see that photo on my kid's FB page later, with this guy posturing against my son with a firearm, I'm not feeling 100 percent comfortable with that. (That said, my kid will have known exactly how to act when that gun was produced around him.)

Imagine her parents' faces when they see the photo of her at HIS house, his dad talking to her as they sit on the couch about how she better not be a drama queen money grubbing succubus who seeks to take advantage of him, with his Colt .45 on the table.

Are they laughing?
Old 04-22-2018, 07:18 PM

Cool photo kids must be alright with it or they would not have posed for it
Old 04-22-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasFired View Post
Imagine her parents' faces when they see the photo of her at HIS house, his dad talking to her as they sit on the couch about how she better not be a drama queen money grubbing succubus...
This is an excellent point. Or making it clear to her that she should be on the pill if she intends to have sex with your son, because you don’t want him forced into a marriage at this point in his life. Or “metoo’d”.

But even at that, I doubt you would enforce the suggestion with a pistol in your hand.

But good, good point. Things have changed. How many men have been tricked into marriage by a woman getting pregnant, who maybe wasn’t exactly trying not to. - “my pills ran out, but it was only a couple of days”.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:41 PM

When my daughter wanted to date, we had "Rules".

The first rule was she'd have to be 16.
The next rule was she'd have to read and do a book report on Dr. Laura's Book "10 Stupid Things Women Do To Mess Up Their Lives". (There's one for men too, so it's not sexist)

We had to know the boy, the boys parents, where they were going, how they were getting there, what they'd be doing, who else would be there and when they'd be home.

If the rules weren't followed, you weren't allowed to date my daughter.

Then...I took an old aluminum skillet that the non-stick had worn off of and punched a dozen holes in it with 240gr JSP's out of my 629 .44 Mag. I hung it on the peg board in my garage. When anyone who wanted to date my daughter showed up, I showed them the skillet and pointedly informed them that's the holes my pistol makes. Nobody got offended. The parents all understood and the "Boys" surely "GOT IT" that they were to be a Gentleman whenever they were in the presence of my daughter.

When she was about 15, we were at a Special Olympics Tournament. A young man sweet on my daughter asked me if he could date her. I told him "No. She's not old enough yet and we have rules." He asked me what the rules were and I told him. He told me he didn't like my rules. I told him I didn't care. They're my rules, my daughter and my house she lives in. He asked what would happen if he dated her without my permission.

I informed him that I had a shotgun, a shovel and nobody would miss him all that much.

He told me I scared him. I told him "Good".

A couple of days later, I get a call from his mother. (Single Mom raising two boys).

She asked if I'd told him I had a shotgun, a shovel and nobody would miss him.

I replied that I had.

She then commented "Good. I worry about becoming a grandmother and some of these girls are calling him at 1am wanting him to come over to their houses cause they think he's cute. I'm really glad you told him the rules."

I told her if one of those 1am phone calls ever came from my daughter to let me know and I'd ensure it didn't happen again.

A few months later, daughter is still too young, this young man comes up with another young man and asks me if I really have a shotgun and a shovel for boys who date my daughter without my permission. I informed him and his buddy that I actually had two shotguns and two shovels and nobody would miss them or know I'd lost them and he turned to his buddy and said "See. I told you that you didn't want to try dating her without her Dads permission."....

Misson Accomplished.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with the Original Posted Pic.

And if I were that Dad, anyone who disapproves would be invited to french kiss my fat tushie on main street at noon time.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:44 PM

He’s probably a great guy with very poor judgment doing this in today’s world. He’s either stupid or knew what he was doing and expected backlash.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
I'm a very conservative Christian man but I will admit to having been a teenage boy... most good boys had Dads that were not scared to threaten them, and not scared to carry out a threat that was ignored!
My favorite "Dad Joke" to tell is:

Mom and Dad are waiting on their teen daughter to come home from her first ever "Date".

The car pulls into the driveway and Mom says "C'mon Dear, let's go upstairs so we don't embarrass her.

So they go upstairs to their room and they hear the young man and their daughter come into the house.

The young man doesn't leave and he doesn't leave and he doesn't leave and finally the Dad gets exasperated and exclaims "What's taking them so long?"

To which the Mom replies "Relax Dear, remember how we were at that age."

The next thing she knows the Dad is bolting down the stairs jamming shells into his shotgun muttering "That dirty, rotten, low-down good for nothing isn't going to do THAT to MY Daughter!"

I've NEVER told that joke that the Parents don't both laugh. Knowingly.

Last edited by NonHyphenAmerican; 04-23-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
He’s probably a great guy with very poor judgment doing this in today’s world. He’s either stupid or knew what he was doing and expected backlash.
If you don't get in line with the progressive liberal agenda you're in big trouble. Now Shania Twain is having to apologize on Twitter for having the audacity to say she would've voted for Trump had she been a US citizen:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cele...73O?li=BBnb7Kz

Twitter and Facebook are leftist propaganda websites. Don't espouse any conservative views there without expecting a backlash.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:42 AM

As expected, a clarification from the father, "it was a joke"....

https://www.google.com/search?client...bWMJyqHi-xF-M:
Old 04-23-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasFired View Post
Ha! I love that photo. But personally wouldn't share anything like that with the whole world...

Ignorant people get very scared, very quickly, when they see a person with a gun. A big part of that is fear of what they don't know, which I can forgive people for. And another big part is the mind/heart taking the path of least resistance, which typically ends with buying into the stereotypes, misconceptions, and pejorative generalizations floating around out there about guns and the people who have them. That, I have major issues with.

This day and age, there is always a critic, for everything, and all sides. If you put your stuff out there, someone will have an issue with it. So if you do, you just have to deal with it, like Mr. Feely did.
Yup, exactly....
50 years ago, 90% of the population would have seen the humorous side of this!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:54 AM

More and more these days.

I have made it a point to irritate these radical snowflakes any chance that I get. Stress kills as sure as anything. If I can contribute to their blowing a head gasket early on in life all the better. Zen meditation is a beautiful thing.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:43 PM
Banned

Thinking of joining twitter just so i can respond to those who talk about his daughter's agency with this: 'Because we all know that in the history of ever, no girl has ever been raped, right?'

I do plan on saying to my daughter's dates that prison will be fairly easy for someone my age.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:07 PM

I don't need tuhwhitter to offend anyone, my NRA Life Member sticker on my truck does a magnificent job

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 04-23-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Perdido View Post
I don't need tuhwhitter to offend anyone, my NRA Life Member sticker on my truck does a magnificent job
Lol,,,a client recently told me "they never met a member of the NRA before", after seeing my waiting room full of NRA magazines.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:57 PM

I have 2 sons but my granddaughter has brought a few boys over for family dinners. They meet Grandpa with one hand on the .45 (loaded) on my hip! Not one has been offended.