1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-30-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL View Post
Thanks. I'm guessing after modifying the slide I should be able to use this too right?

http://www.egwguns.com/1911-parts/of...ark-plug-blue/
This one is for an Officers model, 3.5". It is too short for your 4".

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 03-30-2018, 12:55 AM

I would get this kit that is designed for a 4" Springfield. It would require that the the spring tunnel be reamed for this type of reverse plug. In my opinion this would be the best option, and easy to do.

http://www.egwguns.com/1911-parts/sp...od-spring-kit/

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 03-30-2018, 01:01 AM

The one I linked to says it will work with 4" guns but I'll give EGW a call to verify....maybe they can sell me a kit with a 4" rod and spring but with a flanged reverse plug

Kinda just looking for the most basic option to get this gun to work...I don't wanna throw too much money into it. It's just gonna be a shooter/fixer-upper
Old 03-30-2018, 01:09 AM

If it will work then give it a try. I just don't like the idea of using a shorter Officers spring in a 4" gun. You will end up with quite a bit less spring force when the slide is in battery. I know that Kimber uses an officers spring in their 4" guns and I don't like it there even though Kimber does it that way.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 03-30-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alland View Post
If it will work then give it a try. I just don't like the idea of using a shorter Officers spring in a 4" gun. You will end up with quite a bit less spring force when the slide is in battery. I know that Kimber uses an officers spring in their 4" guns and I don't like it there even though Kimber does it that way.
^^^^ This. Another one of Kimber's mistakes. It causes its own set of issues. Get the right spring for the gun.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:40 PM

To cut a spring with normal dykes, wrap it on a wet rag except for where you want to cut, hit the spot with a propane torch, and let cool, it should be able to snip right thru it.

An easier way is to cut it against a board with a grinder wheel on a dremmel, or file it thru.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:42 PM

Ps. This is good information for me, I have to figure out a recoil setup for a 3.5" 9mm. I wish I had that extra half inch so I could use a standard bushing.

Good luck with it.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:29 AM

Just thinking out loud here...

But instead of modifying my slide, can another possible route be to cut down a commander bushing to the same length as my existing one, that way I can use it with a cut down commander spring plug (so it's flush or slightly shy at the end of my slide's spring tunnel) and a commander or officer's guide rod?

As long as the bushing is the same length as my existing one, the spring plug doesn't extend past the slide's spring tunnel and the guide rod is short enough not to bottom out against the plug, I don't see how this all wouldn't work?

Plus it would have GI take-down characteristics...
Old 04-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Sure you can, but there is a reason that Springfield discontinued that configuration. It failed.... often. Better to bite the bullet and make a permanent fix.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:35 PM

I think that the best solution is to thread the barrel, screw a cone on it and use a flat wire spring assembly from EGW. Or get a 4" bull barrel.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 04-04-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL View Post
Just thinking out loud here...

But instead of modifying my slide, can another possible route be to cut down a commander bushing to the same length as my existing one, that way I can use it with a cut down commander spring plug (so it's flush or slightly shy at the end of my slide's spring tunnel) and a commander or officer's guide rod?

As long as the bushing is the same length as my existing one, the spring plug doesn't extend past the slide's spring tunnel and the guide rod is short enou
gh not to bottom out against the plug, I don't see how this all wouldn't work?

Plus it would have GI take-down characteristics...
The design of the barrel bushing and recoil spring plug is much less than ideal, although your idea of a new bushing should work good if fit properly. The original bushing on these guns is fit very loose, in fact too loose.

An EGW thick flange angle bore bushing can be fit and will work reliably. Since these short bushings donít have the support of a full size bushing it should be fit snug in the slide.

Cutting a notch on the lower rear of the bushing flange will allow the spring plug to be positioned forward enough that the spring will fit without cutting any coils off.

A little over 4000 rounds through this gun and the bushing is still snug in the slide. Gun runs reliably and is very accurite for a 4 inch gun.
Attached Thumbnails
AA5CB6DA-E868-4852-9586-D34CF3E62DA0.jpeg  
Old 04-04-2018, 06:27 PM

The tiny lug on the plug is a known source of failure.