Springfield "Compact" recoil spring setup help - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-29-2018, 04:30 AM

Springfield "Compact" recoil spring setup help

Long story short, I purchased an older (probably circa ~2000-2005) Springfield Compact (4" bbl, officers frame) 1911 that was on consignment at my LGS. It had a lot of sub-par aftermarket parts on it but the gun was cheap enough that I was in it for very little after selling off all the crappy aftermarket parts.

I had since purchased a bunch of high/higher parts to replace the ones I sold in efforts to make it a fun project shooter. The gun sat all broken down into parts for maybe a year now and just tonight did I finally get it all together.

I am having an issue now with the recoil spring setup. I don't know for sure how it come from the factory, but it is a lot different from the current Range Officer Compacts.

Note: this gun has a regular style barrel with a bushing. Below are pictures of how I have it set up now.

When I purchased the gun, it basically came exactly as shown except with standard looking full-length guide rod. I decided to place it with a GI rod which I believe shouldn't make any negative differences. The spring in the photo is also not the one I plan to shoot the gun with. I purchased a Wolff recoil spring for the 4" Champion/Compact but noticed it created coil bind and my wire cutter isn't big enough to cut the coils so I am currently using an officer's spring only for assembly purposes.

My problem is, as my last picture shows, my slide does not retract far back enough for the slide-stop notch to fully push the slide stop downwards, allowing for a "sling-shot" style reload. I am assuming this is not normal even for a compact 1911 of this format. Again, I checked for coil bind and there isn't any; the picture is showing the slide in its full rearward position. I just cannot seem to find any other recoil spring setup online that is compatible with my gun.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or has come across a situation like this before.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2018, 08:42 AM

Pics donít work this was originally a bull barrel?

Sent from a distant planet far far away
Old 03-29-2018, 10:10 AM

There are no 4" GI guide rods being manufactured so the one you installed must be for a 4.25" gun. If you are doing this with a closed recoil plug then the guide rod shaft is hitting the end of the plug instead of the spring tunnel in the slide hitting the guide rod head. You either need to cut it down or stick with a full length setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2018, 10:22 AM

The original Springfield 4" guns used a special very short barrel bushing. A Commander bushing is too long and will not work. The longer Commander bushing will hit the locking lugs and prevent full slide travel. That short bushing was not very successful which is why they went with a bull barrel in later versions.

If that gun were mine, I would go with a bull barrel and an EGW flat wire recoil spring.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 03-29-2018, 02:22 PM

I am using a GI guide rod with the open-ended reverse plug that I purchased the gun with. The end of the guide rod protrudes out of the plug on lock-back, as shown in the photos.

Do you guys think trying an RO Compact 45 recoil set up with my original reverse plug will work? Like the one shown in the below pic:

I figure the head of the guide rod is a lot thinner and that might allow me to gain a hair more of slide travel?
Old 03-29-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL View Post
I am using a GI guide rod with the open-ended reverse plug that I purchased the gun with. The end of the guide rod protrudes out of the plug on lock-back, as shown in the photos.

Do you guys think trying an RO Compact 45 recoil set up with my original reverse plug will work? Like the one shown in the below pic:

I figure the head of the guide rod is a lot thinner and that might allow me to gain a hair more of slide travel?

Your photos donít work! Is the Firearm a traditional or a bull barrel?

Old 03-29-2018, 04:46 PM

My apologies. It was showing up on my end but I guess they aren't really being hosted on the website I have them on. Here they are. It has a traditional barrel.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:56 PM

When it was converted to that reverse plug the back of the spring tunnel should have been milled forward. The reverse plug would have then protruded through the spring tunnel to be flush with the barrel bushing. That also would have increased slide travel to allow it to slingshot.

I don't know why that reverse spring plug is allowing the correct spring to coil bind. The only thing that controls that is the depth of the spring plug.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 03-29-2018, 07:02 PM

Hmm I believe the stock plug was of a similar style, at least at the back where it goes up against the spring tunnel...cause there wouldn't be any other way for the plug to stay in place.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:04 PM

The original spring plug did not have a shoulder to fit against the slide. It was flush with the side tunnel and it had a tab that fit in the slot on your slide. That shoulder is what is causing the spring bind. The plug is too far back and looking at your pictures the plug is not flush with the front of the barrel bushing.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-A-Noid View Post
The original spring plug did not have a shoulder to fit against the slide. It was flush with the side tunnel and it had a tab that fit in the slot on your slide. That shoulder is what is causing the spring bind. The plug is too far back and looking at your pictures the plug is not flush with the front of the barrel bushing.
This. Some use a hat like the plug you have, some use a collar which mates to a relieved area inside the tunnel and a few use the notch that your slide has in it. The first two are more common than the last one like yours should have.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:25 PM

Here you go, this what the original spring plug should look like.
Attached Thumbnails
FCC71093-3DA9-4BB6-8E6A-84F6E26D26BE.jpeg   C8E67FA9-0EFB-4FC7-8890-048B2484B1B2.jpeg  
Old 03-29-2018, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the pic...it makes it very clear now. I believed I saw a pic of a bushing like that once, I just forgot that it didn't have that shoulder at all.

Since that bushing is probably no where to be had, do you think buying the RO Compact 45 recoil spring setup will be my best bet? since it has a much thinner guide rod base?
Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the pic...it makes it very clear now. I believed I saw a pic of a bushing like that once, I just forgot that it didn't have that shoulder at all.

Since that bushing is probably no where to be had, do you think buying the RO Compact 45 recoil spring setup will be my best bet? since it has a much thinner guide rod base?
Nope. Take a look at the pic you provided of the newer compacts. Look at the plug. It has a collar that is wider than the rest of the body. Your spring tunnel would need to have a relief area created on the inside to accommodate that part of the plug.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:27 PM

To make that plug work in a normal slide you usually need to mill off .060" of the rear of the dust cover (or whatever the thickness of the shoulder on that plug measures).
Old 03-29-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remanaz View Post
Nope. Take a look at the pic you provided of the newer compacts. Look at the plug. It has a collar that is wider than the rest of the body. Your spring tunnel would need to have a relief area created on the inside to accommodate that part of the plug.
Well I meant to use my existing reverse plug with the rest of the recoil assembly
Old 03-29-2018, 11:31 PM

The factory plug is prone to failure which is why the hat/collar style plugs were developed. Better to face off the back of the slide tunnel equal to the thickness of the plug hat than to use the original plug.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:32 PM

Your current plug is the problem. Nothing is going to allow you to get around that without removing material from the tunnel or getting the correct plug.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:36 PM

I just looked back at that pic of the newer compacts. Yes that spring and guide rod assembly would gain you more rearward slide travel. But the setup is no longer being offered or used by Springfield. Finding one that someone like me has replaced may be possible but getting replacement springs will then be your new issue moving forward.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remanaz View Post
I just looked back at that pic of the newer compacts. Yes that spring and guide rod assembly would gain you more rearward slide travel. But the setup is no longer being offered or used by Springfield. Finding one that someone like me has replaced may be possible but getting replacement springs will then be your new issue moving forward.
Isn't it being used in current production RO Compact 45's? I think I am gonna want to give it a try first, and if that doesn't work then I'l look into getting the spring tunnel shortened.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Isn't it being used in current production RO Compact 45's? I think I am gonna want to give it a try first, and if that doesn't work then I'l look into getting the spring tunnel shortened.
Nope. They moved on to flat wire single springs.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:03 AM

Isnt the GI "guide rod" too long also?

I agree the spring plug is the problem with not allowing the slide to go back far enoug (by the exact amount of the flange on the plu), but I'd be afraid the guide rod could hit the back of the plug under recoil, instead of "finding the hole" and protruding. Aren't not the officer "guide rods" considerably shorter?
Old 03-30-2018, 12:22 AM

The GI guide rod protruces out of my open-ended reverse plug, as shown in the photos. I actually was concerned that it wouldn't "track" straight and hit the back of the plug, but that doesn't seem like an issue at all and the gun seems to cycle very smoothly by hand.

The GI rod seems to almost act like a "3/4 length rod" if that makes any sense and tracks very straight and out of the plug on lock-back.

I think I am gonna look into just getting my spring tunnel shortened....
Old 03-30-2018, 12:22 AM

Original setup

Old 03-30-2018, 12:33 AM

Thanks. I'm guessing after modifying the slide I should be able to use this too right?

http://www.egwguns.com/1911-parts/of...ark-plug-blue/