Fiction or fantasy? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-15-2017, 07:55 PM

Fiction or fantasy?

Just finished a novel set in occupied Germany immediately after surrender, May 1945. Hero is a Major, US Army, talking about his ".45-caliber Colt Commander"..."Nine bullets in the cartridge and one in the snout." "When expecting action, release the safety and cock the hammer." "That way you don't have to put your full weight on the trigger to fire the first shot." "It was all coming back now."

Thought you guys would get a chuckle out of this--the author tells an interesting tale, but his technical research is on the level of the US press. How many mistakes can you count? Six?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:39 PM
Administrator

I always wonder who they're trying to impress by throwing out a bunch of gun-related facts, when in truth all they're doing is showing their ignorance of firearms.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.markb View Post
Just finished a novel set in occupied Germany immediately after surrender, May 1945. Hero is a Major, US Army, talking about his ".45-caliber Colt Commander"..."Nine bullets in the cartridge and one in the snout." "When expecting action, release the safety and cock the hammer." "That way you don't have to put your full weight on the trigger to fire the first shot." "It was all coming back now."
I'd of stopped reading at this point, & placed the book in the outhouse. Corncobs run out eventually!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 10:33 PM

Was watching a MASH marathon and several episodes showed the characters holding a Colt Commander. Ya could also tell it was a lightweight as the frame had a different tone than the slide.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:54 PM
Administrator

The Colt Commander was originally designed for the post-war 9mm military trials, and I'm aware that there were some private purchases by military personnel but none were ever bought by Uncle Sam for issue as far as I know.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:30 AM

I read some of a book called Lenin's tomb. I got it from a library, because the author is a shill that works for the Washington Post, so I would not even consider purchasing it. Anyway, thr author talks about the the secret slaughter of Polish officers, after the Soviets annex Poland. The author states they brought a crate full of Walther type 2 REVOLVERS, since their Tokarevs might over heat! As many know, the walther type 2 is not a revolver, and the Tokarev, is pretty dang robust. I studied this foolish author, he appears to be a massive anti Trumper, that decided to write this book to demenstrate why tyranny is bad. He also keeps referring to the dedicated communists in the book as "far right", when really their actions are quite similar to our far left. This is a book is a great example of the hypocrisy of modern journalists, and their dedication to discreetly spread lies supporting their agenda. If you own a copy of this book, use it as toilet paper!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
Was watching a MASH marathon and several episodes showed the characters holding a Colt Commander. Ya could also tell it was a lightweight as the frame had a different tone than the slide.
At least by Korea it would have been possible to have a Commander (mine was made in 1951 and they were all aluminum frames until the Combat Commander in the early 70s), but it would have been impossible in 1945.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:39 AM

Six...

maybe the Major needs remedial pistol training. That is, once he extricates himself from that sticky situation, kills the bad guys, and rescues the damsel.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:52 AM

Maybe the author didn't mean a Colt Commander, he ment ... a GLOCK
Old 11-16-2017, 03:13 PM

And I bet that you all love Appaloosa (the movie)... DON'T get the books... there is a whole 'Cole and Hitch' series that are dreadful on the guns... Cole opens the cylinder on his Colt to reload often, just to mention one irritation. Someone must have realized it for the movie because the guns there are great.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:19 PM

" He slipped the safety off his .9mm revolver and opened the door......."
Old 11-16-2017, 03:21 PM

It's amazing how many authors don't do basic research about the guns they talk about in mysteries and thrillers.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:27 PM

My own theory? It's deliberately done so the author can't be held "responsible for passing on information about firearms that could lead to the wrong person using the info ". They can't be that stupid! Sorry did I just say that?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
I read some of a book called Lenin's tomb. I got it from a library, because the author is a shill that works for the Washington Post, so I would not even consider purchasing it. Anyway, thr author talks about the the secret slaughter of Polish officers, after the Soviets annex Poland. The author states they brought a crate full of Walther type 2 REVOLVERS, since their Tokarevs might over heat! As many know, the walther type 2 is not a revolver, and the Tokarev, is pretty dang robust. I studied this foolish author, he appears to be a massive anti Trumper, that decided to write this book to demenstrate why tyranny is bad. He also keeps referring to the dedicated communists in the book as "far right", when really their actions are quite similar to our far left. This is a book is a great example of the hypocrisy of modern journalists, and their dedication to discreetly spread lies supporting their agenda. If you own a copy of this book, use it as toilet paper!
And make the author SCRUB the outhouse while he's at it...
Old 11-16-2017, 04:37 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.markb View Post
Nine bullets in the cartridge and one in the snout." "When expecting action, release the safety and cock the hammer." "That way you don't have to put your full weight on the trigger to fire the first shot." "It was all coming back now."
Sounds more P38 than 1911.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Old 11-16-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
The real story of the Katyn Forest massacre was stranger than fiction. One guy shot about 7000 of the 22,000 of those prisoners with one Walther type 2, IIRC.

"The killings were methodical. After the condemned individual's personal information was checked and approved, he was handcuffed and led to a cell insulated with stacks of sandbags along the walls, and a heavy, felt-lined door. The victim was told to kneel in the middle of the cell, and was then approached from behind by the executioner and immediately shot in the back of the head or neck.[35] The body was carried out through the opposite door and laid in one of the five or six waiting trucks, whereupon the next condemned was taken inside and subjected to the same fate. In addition to muffling by the rough insulation in the execution cell, the pistol gunshots were also masked by the operation of loud machines (perhaps fans) throughout the night. Some post-1991 revelations suggest that prisoners were also executed in the same manner at the NKVD headquarters in Smolensk, though judging by the way that the corpses were stacked, some captives may have been shot while standing on the edge of the mass graves.[36] This procedure went on every night, except for the public May Day holiday."
Old 11-16-2017, 05:46 PM

"That way you don't have to put your full weight on the trigger to fire the first shot."

Yowza, 160#+ trigger pull. Good luck with that.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:18 PM

How about the latest news about Gabby Giffords (really Mark Kelly's idea I bet) to regulate muzzle loaders because someone has designed a suppressor for them. Since they are not really firearms, a "suppressor" on a muzzle loader is not an NFA item - yet. So ban the one weapon the left claims is the only weapon protected by the 2A.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:22 PM

In Fast & Furious (the recent ones, not the original 1950's film) they race on downtown city streets, with the speedometers indicating 160 MPH.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:31 PM

It's a good thing kids don't read books anymore!

Otherwise you'd hear them thinking it's cool and macho to say:

"Nine bullets in the cartridge and one in the snout." "When expecting action, release the safety and cock the hammer." "That way you don't have to put your full weight on the trigger to fire the first shot." "It was all coming back now."
Old 11-16-2017, 09:37 PM

I read a book where the protagonist "looked down the barrel of the shotgun, admiring the swirl of the rifling". DOH!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:42 PM

I still crack up when the protagonist cocks the hammer on his Glock. The author just has to have that hammer get cocked on a pistol for dramatic effect. But instead he uses the wrong pistol.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsgt View Post
I read a book where the protagonist "looked down the barrel of the shotgun, admiring the swirl of the rifling". DOH!
Now that's just silly. Everyone knows it's too dark inside a shotgun barrel to actually see the rifling! DOH!
Old 11-16-2017, 10:38 PM

All I gotta say is when he fires that cartridge with nine Bullets in it something bad is gonna happen!