38 Super SD loads - do you roll your own? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-19-2017, 04:30 PM

Speaking as an "Old Man" that has carried a 38 Super and used it, I like my hand loads.

147 Gr HP 8.3 Gr N105 Rem 6 1/2 Sm Rifle primer. @ 1250 fps out of my Noland ramped barrel. 18# spring.

Very comfortable load to shoot, little muzzle flash. High confidence in hitting my target just where I intend to hit.

As far as all these "theoretical" assumptions about liability, remember silence is your friend, speak only when there is reason to defend your actions, after the other side has made their case.

Better to thought of as a "Colombo" than a knowledgeable "Gun Nut".
Old 08-26-2017, 09:56 PM

Go here..............If you can't find something here to light your fire, then you better check your pulse..............These loads are all safe in a good ramped match barrel.............advise you start 10-15% low and work up...........these are all loads that were and are being used in the race-gun games............Ramped Barrels Only,if you're going 100%................

http://www.k8nd.com/documents/hl38sup.pdf

Last edited by Bud R; 08-26-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 09-08-2017, 09:56 PM

For me, with my horrible shortage of discretionary capital, there's no way I can shoot enough of the commercial stuff to get comfortable with it. By reloading I can afford to put a couple hundred rounds together without breaking the proverbial bank. I've already made the mistake of buying an expensive box of Buffalo Bore 125g. hollow points only to find that they WILL NOT FEED in a DW Guardian 38Super I bought brand new earlier this year. Sumpin about the truncated cone nose that stops up the works so I dasn't even try the same shape in anyone elses brand. Speer Gold Dots all the way for me (the Buffalo Bores prob'ly would feed just swimmingly in a non-ramped barrel).
Old 09-09-2017, 03:40 AM

125 gr. Speer Gold Dot bullets in 9mm or .38 super

The Speer Gold dot is an excellent bullet, however, the very wide nose opening of the bullet profile may be problematic with some guns as far as feeding properly. If you have a gun that causes slight bullet nosedives ion the first few rounds of a full mag, using round nose bullets, they will usually bounce off the feed ramp and chamber properly. If your gun causes a Speer Gold dot to nosedive slightly on the first few rounds of the mag, it may jam into the feed ramp. This will vary with every gun.....some guns have no issues, others will.... As a reloader, you may be able to adjust the seating depth to change the cartridge OAL, which may or may not improve feeding reliability.....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 09-09-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:39 AM

For anyone wondering about the performance of almost any sd bullet extant, you need to go to http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/category/experiments/ if you haven't found it yet. They have gone to fantastic extremes at doing penetration tests on all the widely-used defense rounds, with movies on each bullet, fer cripesakes!! They didn't do a separate segment for .38 Super, but there are rounds on either side that will allow you to interpolate by bullet speed, for the .38 Super. The bullets are also shown in their expanded (or not) form after removal from the test media. I got on this site, and was on there for hours (don't take much to impress a 69 year old country boy, I guess). Do yourself a favor, and check it out------

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/category/experiments/
Old 09-20-2017, 07:19 PM

I use 147 gr Hornady XTP's for both 9mm and 38 super SD rounds. The bullet weight is a bit on the high side for a 9mm but out a short barrel it's about the best use. The 38 super really brings those pills to life. I load with either HP 38 or Bullseye, I forget the powder weights. The only time I deviate from the XTPs is if I can find some HSTs or Hi-shoks.