Pandemic - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-06-2020, 12:37 PM

Pandemic

No, this is not specifically about the current Coronavirus outbreak, but I am using it as an example.

The current Coronavirus outbreak has hit at least 4 continents and over 30 countries and almost 30,000 infected, yet they are still talking about "if the virus becomes a global pandemic".

What does it take to declare something a Pandemic???

It is infectious. It has gone global. It has hit an infection count in the 10's of thousands. It continues to spread without a known cure or vaccine.

According to what I have read, that more than qualifies as a pandemic. Am I missing something, or are they just trying not to cause a mass panic in the sheep? Are they only going to declare something a pandemic after the fact, for the history books?
Old 02-06-2020, 02:30 PM

Iím right there with you ... and according to the CDC it is mutating into something more pervasive.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:12 PM

Just sort of wondering. Do they call some of the things that are big outbreaks that the centers and gov'ts can bring under control Pandemic publicly while telling people they are getting on top of it? The things that are get way out of hand fast that they have no idea how to handle, do they hide those and provide disinformation to avoid mass panic?

Just kind of a random thought.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2020, 06:23 PM

Come on Amos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Just sort of wondering. Do they call some of the things that are big outbreaks that the centers and gov'ts can bring under control Pandemic publicly while telling people they are getting on top of it? The things that are get way out of hand fast that they have no idea how to handle, do they hide those and provide disinformation to avoid mass panic?

Just kind of a random thought.
You do not really think that the government would put out misleading information do you? why just today our erstwhile Governor came on record as saying that they were not looking to take anyone's guns away. What a relief to hear that.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 PM

Let’s not forget Agenda 21 where the want to drastically bring down the population on earth. I wouldn’t ever put it past them to keep panick down while it gets let loose on society. Crazy? Maybe, but I remember gun owners mocking me 30 years ago about losing our gun rights.thez have as much as told us what their intentions are, never underestimate your enemy
Old 02-06-2020, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
Letís not forget Agenda 21 where the want to drastically bring down the population on earth. I wouldnít ever put it past them to keep panick down while it gets let loose on society. Crazy? Maybe, but I remember gun owners mocking me 30 years ago about losing our gun rights.thez have as much as told us what their intentions are, never underestimate your enemy
Sound advice IMHO.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 02-07-2020, 01:51 AM

Of course along with such confidence that governments would never keep a raging pandemic from the public. We have to look at things in terms of illegal immigration.

We have those SJWs who keep screaming for open borders and sanctuary cities. All the travel bans and quarantines on travelers from highly infected areas will do much when you have, and have had for a long time, people from China, Africa, and other potentially hot areas, just flowing in across the border illegally. No med checks and once they reach a sanctuary city they are protected from being discovered. It starts to sound like the beginning of one of those disease disaster movies.

Consider that even if infected illegals are caught. First they probably travelled in groups and were in tight quarters together. Especially those who were smuggled stuffed in vehicles. Even if some of the infected got caught there were probably several they had been in close contact with who made it across.

Then think about any who were infected that got caught and sent to detention centers. By the time someone has been able to give them a medical exam or noticed that they had more than just a case of the sniffles there has been plenty of time for the infections to be passed around in to crowded, close quarters conditions. Also for BP agents, admin, and medical personnel to have gone home and spent time with family and friends before they realized they were sick. Or maybe they weren't sick, but carriers.

Remember back during Obama when they had all those kids coming in with a variety of diseases. They tried to keep it quiet, but a few medical folks who worked the shelters/detention centers let slip some of the things they were dealing with. The part that should have caused concern was that these kids were transported to the centers in commercial busses and commercial aircraft. The same busses and aircraft that would be going back into service to carry everyday travellers. I doubt those craft were fully and completely disinfected and inspected.

I can't find it now, but several years ago there was a movie that I think was made by National Geographic. It was a depiction of a widespread epidemic. The movie showed the things happening to those who tried to leave the city and suburbs. Mostly not good. The general message seemed to be to have a 90 day supply of all necessities and stay in your house. Don't go out, stay away from other people, and stick it out at home. The reasoning was that the worst of a viral epidemic will have rolled through and done most of what it was going to do within those 90 days. Everyone who stayed isolated would not have contracted the disease. Those who had were either dead or cured by the 90 days.

Interesting things to think of. That and how long before one of those biological, weaponized diseases no one is supposed to be working on gets loose outside a lab and goes out of control and without any countermeasures available. Of if there is one it's being held back by whoever created it because they don't want to let anyone know they were creating such things in the first place or have the source lead back to them. Only when it's too late might they bring forth a vaccine or actual treatment.

Nothing to see. Move along. Governments and government sponsored labs are only thinking of you and doing all they can to protect you. Rest easy.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-07-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
No, this is not specifically about the current Coronavirus outbreak, but I am using it as an example.

The current Coronavirus outbreak has hit at least 4 continents and over 30 countries and almost 30,000 infected, yet they are still talking about "if the virus becomes a global pandemic".

What does it take to declare something a Pandemic???

It is infectious. It has gone global. It has hit an infection count in the 10's of thousands. It continues to spread without a known cure or vaccine.

According to what I have read, that more than qualifies as a pandemic. Am I missing something, or are they just trying not to cause a mass panic in the sheep? Are they only going to declare something a pandemic after the fact, for the history books?
30k cases, and < 700 deaths, on a rock with 7.7 BILLION people, does not a pandemic make....
Conversely, in an era when world travel was painstakingly slow, the 1918 influenza pandemic infected full 20% of the worlds population, about half of whom died...
So, when about 1.5 billion people are infected, we'll be in the realm of pandemic....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-07-2020, 07:41 PM

My grandfather was infected with the Spanish flu in 1918 and spent 3 months in an army hospital.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
30k cases, and < 700 deaths, on a rock with 7.7 BILLION people, does not a pandemic make....
Conversely, in an era when world travel was painstakingly slow, the 1918 influenza pandemic infected full 20% of the worlds population, about half of whom died...
So, when about 1.5 billion people are infected, we'll be in the realm of pandemic....
actual statisitics are 24,500 deceased already. Why else would the Chinese be running EVERY crematorium in that province 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to get rid of the bodies at roughly 100 bodies cremated per day at each crematorium?

Look at the massive fires they have started in some of the video footage coming out, no one knows why. and they have government workers running around in white spray paint suits spraying an unknown material on buildings and street fronts yet the disease keeps getting worse
Old 02-09-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketshaver View Post
actual statisitics are 24,500 deceased already.
Actually "statistics " from where ? WHO provided the number I posted....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-07-2020, 08:23 PM

I think wccountryboy's response is correct for the question of world pandemic. This current virus outbreak is still largely just confined to a specific region in China. The only infections outside of China are people who were recently there or close contacts. It could be called a pandemic once there is widespread infections in local populations of multiple new countries.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Like with most health scares, you're still far more likely to die just driving to or from work each day than catching one of these superbugs. Yet most people don't even think of that.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:42 PM

It has taken 30 days for 813 people to die from 2019-nCoV.
It took 99 days for 810 people to die from SARS
It took 88 days for 781 people to die from Swine Flu.

Just as a comparison.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:57 AM

This is some scary stuff. Almost like it's out of a movie.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:16 AM

Not almost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Pistolero View Post
This is some scary stuff. Almost like it's out of a movie.
It is out of a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsMp2pZK-Cw
Old 02-09-2020, 07:45 AM

The statistics coming out of China have a big *** asterisk ***. Patient #1 in China ended up dying. He was incidentally the person reporting the problem. The numbers we have may not be great, but the world is a lot smaller since 1918 flu epidemic, and therefore world wide dissemination for this is much faster potentially. Our CDC has or will have a handle on it. In the meantime, practice universal precautions, wash your hands.