Rotation - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-02-2020, 05:21 PM

Rotation

For those of you who rotate carry pistols, how often do you rotate and what is your criteria for rotation?
Old 01-02-2020, 05:31 PM

My "rotation" isn't a true rotation, it's based purely on dress code. I have a handful of gun and holster options and each has limits to how they conceal with specific attire.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:01 PM

This and......

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
My "rotation" isn't a true rotation, it's based purely on dress code. I have a handful of gun and holster options and each has limits to how they conceal with specific attire.
Night vs. day also comes into play as one Kimber Pro Carry II hasn't gotten night sights installed yet!

Smiles and all the best in 2020!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Same here. I'm always carrying one of four guns depending on my dress code.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboss1 View Post
Quote:
Same here. I'm always carrying one of four guns depending on my dress code.
Yup, I gotta raise my hand too, I follow the same suit.

But as others pointed out, I advocate being proficient with any firearm you own for your own safety.

Happy 2020!
Old 01-27-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Pretty much this ^
Old 01-02-2020, 05:43 PM

Whatever fits the outfit, location and expectation for the day. Am I dressing for work or around the house? Am I traveling, is so how far and where too? That's how my carry rotation works. Not sure if that is what you were asking.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2020, 06:23 PM

Not much rhime or reason to my rotation.

But oftentimes the latest purchased handgun gets the nod. Once I have tested it for reliability, and have confidence in it. There is a good chance that it will be my carry piece at least for a while.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:26 PM

I use the same gun nearly all the time, if not that one I use a 938 or whatever 1911 type gun is small enough to conceal with what I'm wearing. Generally I jump from my carry comp down to the 938 since the former conceals so well.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 01-02-2020, 06:50 PM

Based on the following criteria:

Where am I going?
What might I encounter?
What will happen be wearing?

Most importantly:
Wife gets first choice, and I get the leftover.

The only gun she won't take first is a 1911 style.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeepsam View Post
Based on the following criteria:

Most importantly:
Wife gets first choice, and I get the leftover.
Grow a pair, you cuck.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Grow a pair, you cuck.
Yep, that's a problem...I have to buy my guns in pairs...

Old 01-02-2020, 07:18 PM

IME, most of those people who talk about CCW "rotation" are too often merely gun hobbyists who like to carry their various different favorite gun toys.

Be thoroughly, demonstrably competent and comfortable, on demand, with one or two different guns.

If you can't do that, you're fooling yourself.
There's no genuine reason for any "carry rotation" among a multiplicity of different pistols.

Just sayin', whether you like it or not.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:49 PM

No rotation per se, but sometimes clothing choices affect the firearm selection. IOW, different attire is the only reason why I might (and often do) carry a different gun between two days. Never do I change just for the purpose of variety.

But except for rare occasions when a really small (sub-compact) is virtually dictated by attire, the selection is always a 1911. So generally no change in the "manual of arms". Each gun has a similar feel; e.g., identical grip panels, trigger length/pull, identical checkering/serrations, same manufacturer, etc.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 01-02-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
IME, most of those people who talk about CCW "rotation" are too often merely gun hobbyists who like to carry their various different favorite gun toys.

Be thoroughly, demonstrably competent and comfortable, on demand, with one or two different guns.

There's no genuine reason for any "carry rotation" among a multiplicity of different pistols.

One should be comfortable and proficient with any weapon in the arsenal.
If you don't feel comfortable with all the guns you own, that's your issue to deal with.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post

TLDR, but pretty much SawBones hit the mark. All of my guns, now, are SAO with a 1911 style thumb safety. The only reason for rotation between my P320 Manual Safety 9mm and my 1911 in 45 is based on what I am doing. If I am on my motorcycle or going to be knocking around I take the P320 - or if I am going somewhere that I want higher capacity.

Otherwise it is my Dan Wesson VBob and 2 spare mags.

I used to do the rotation thing with a lot of different guns and I came to the same conclusion as SawBones. I make damn sure I a very demonstratabily competent with those two guns, and I shoot them weekly and have begun doing a lot of dry fire drills based on the book “Dryfire Reloaded”. Since getting it I have realized that my ability to draw and fire on multiple targets was complete crap!

I try to do draw and dry fire training a few times a week if not more.

My desire is to be more than possibly competent with these two guns. I have other 1911’s and P320’s but I go to the same two guns I have done a lot of modification to make them run 100% of the time.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:35 PM

"Sawbones", I don't have a problem rotating. I think you should be proficient with several different types of pistols.
Nothing wrong with a da/sa one day, striker fired the next.
I basically choose my pistol based on if I'm driving or walking. Different holster set up for each
Crossdraw maybe if I'm gonna be driving.
Appendix carry if I'm working. It conceals the best.
I think the better question is, do u rotate your ammo, or stager ur magazine's? How often do u purchase new carry ammo.
Does ur ammo change during the winter months when everyone is more likely wearing thicker clothing and heavy coats.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:37 PM

I have a pocket pistol I carry when I can't carry anything else. I have never rotated my belt carry pistol, but I am going to start. My regular carry gun is a CCO size pistol that I have owned and shot regularly for about 15 years. I recently acquired another similar pistol. I still don't shoot the new one as well as the old one, so I am putting in more range time with it. The plan is to alternate the two to distribute the wear.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:06 PM

The overwhelming majority of my guns are never carried.

I carry (IWB) one of two striker-fired polymer pistols as a primary CCW, depending upon season/weather/attire, and a striker-fired polymer pocket .380 -- generally as a backup, but also as a primary when attire does not permit IWB carry of even the slimmer of the two primary CCWs. All are well made, reliable, and immediately replaceable during business hours.

Going beyond that seems pointless and silly to me. I don’t carry as a hobby, so I don’t employ a large “rotation” of disparate firearms as CCWs. My firearms hobby is collecting and/or shooting rare and generally high-end pistols and revolvers, most of which I would consider to be less than ideal for carry. Concealed carry and appropriate training with my CCWs are purely practical activities for me.

As an aside, running one’s CCWs hard has also always seemed stupid to me. Every round fired in a gun is a round closer to critical parts failures. After I’m satisfied as to their reliability, my CCWs see very little range use. I own duplicates of each, and the hard work falls to those duplicates.

Last edited by Austin_TX; 01-02-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:46 PM

I only carry 1911's chambered for 45 ACP. All the controls are the same, so no surprises under duress. I choose officer frame pistols for warm weather concealment and commander frame pistols for cool weather carry. I sometimes wonder when to switch from one to another (within the same size group) and wondered if others had any special technique they followed.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:49 PM
Administrator

I rotate between a SIG P365 and a Ruger LCP depending on where I'm going and how I have to be dressed. Between the two nearly all of my defensive needs are covered. I only opt for a third choice when I go hiking and want something with a little more oomph for the outdoors.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:09 AM

My usual rotation is one of 5 H&Ks for the most part carried IWB in a T&T Gunleather holster. My dislike for carrying a gun with a safety (please save any comments I have heard them all) means that I only carry my Dan Wesson on rare occasions. Lately I do grab my Sig P365 more than I thought I would not to mention I can clip it on sweats and lightweight shorts.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:28 AM

What I'm wearing dictates what I carry, not the other way around.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray burge View Post
What I'm wearing dictates what I carry, not the other way around.
Same here.
Agent Orange---the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:40 AM

My carry rotation includes all steel government model 1911s and big bore revolvers. My thumb wipes the safety on the revolvers very well.

US Army, Retired
NRA Benefactor Life Member