Springfield Mil-Spec Defender shoots low - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-18-2019, 01:37 PM

Springfield Mil-Spec Defender shoots low

Has anyone had an issue with their Mil-Spec defender shooting low? Not low and to the left or right but just low? Both times that I have brought it to the range, I was finding myself having to raise the front sight almost above the rear to hit the target where I wanted. I, by no means, think of myself as a professional target shooter, but I am usually pretty good at hitting the target without many aim adjustments. I’m not blaming the gun quite yet as it could very well be me. I’m not sure if it has to do with this being my first curved main spring housing or the different style sights. Besides aim the gun is great! Hopefully I’m not the only one that is experiencing this
Old 08-18-2019, 08:01 PM

It's funny that you say that because mine felt off yesterday. I was expecting pinpoint accuracy because of the match barrel and how tight the bushing was. I'm also no marksman, but it was a bit of a disappointment. Our hour was running out at the range so I was kind of rushing by the time I pulled this one out, but I'll pay closer attention next time.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:04 PM

Ok so I’m not the only one lol. Yeah it was almost embarrassing with how low it was hitting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 10:08 PM

At what yardage and ammo?
Old 08-18-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserttrans View Post
At what yardage and ammo?
I was shooting in between 7-10 yards, my usual, and standard 230gr factory ball ammo
Old 08-19-2019, 08:41 PM

25 to 30 feet . See what kind of group you can put together . Also try
different ammo . See if it changes . Then find the consistent hits on
target . Try to bench rest it as well to see where it shoots . Then mark
and save your targets . If the sights are off you can send it back to Springfield
free of charge after calling CS and getting a pre-paid shipping label , they will
fix the sights for free .

If needed of course .

Last edited by Billy1911; 08-19-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1911 View Post
25 to 30 feet . See what kind of group you can put together . Also try
different ammo . See if it changes . Then find the consistent hits on
target . Try to bench rest it as well to see where it shoots . Then mark
and save your targets . If the sights are off you can send it back to Springfield
free of charge after calling CS and getting a pre-paid shipping label , they will
fix the sights for free .

If needed of course .
I did talk to Springfield CS earlier today and they did ask the same question about 25-30 feet but when I told her how low it was at only the 7-10 she did seem very surprised. Unfortunately they are closed for inventory this week so she said if I did send it in it would be longer than usual to get it to the range and checked out
Old 08-20-2019, 04:58 AM

Gosh better get mine out and test it!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2019, 08:51 AM

Agree with Billy1911. Shoot a group at 25-30 feet and determine its center relative to the front sight. Shooting at 15 - 25 yards would reveal information as well.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:44 AM

Please describe your sights and sight picture.

Some manufacturers calibrate their three dot sights to center the front sight dot POA/POI at 15 yards.

Some calibrate their sights either three dot or Patridge so that the POA/POI is just above the front sight at 15 yards.

This could explain the low POI at 7 yards if your POA deviates from the design.

Smiles,
Old 08-20-2019, 12:23 PM

Small update. As I said in my original post, “It could very well be me”. Decided to get a view of my side profile by aiming next to a mirror. Noticed that in my usual stance and grip, if I lined up the sights, I had the muzzle tilted downward a little. My guess was because of my grip with the curved main spring housing. I had to adjust my grip a little then find my sight picture to have the gun level with itself. I compared this to one of my other 1911s that has the bells and whistles, such as a bevertail, and my standard grip on those was straight on without any adjustments. Going to need to go back out to the range and try again with these adjustments