Failure to eject - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 11:59 AM

Failure to eject

Third time to the range. Fails to eject every time. Every time. New gun with maybe 300 rounds through it. I have talked to CS and I have the shipping label to send it back. What keeps eating at me is after I brought it back from the range I loaded a mag and racked the slide to try and simulate what was happening. I racked the entire magazine with no problems. What am I missing. Don’t want to send it back if it’s something simple.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:59 AM

It’s a 9mm full size
Old 07-18-2019, 12:25 PM

Underpowered ammo?

If you're racking the slide and the ammo is ejecting, it's unlikely to be an ejector/extractor issue, so my guess is that the ammo is simply not powerful enough to overcome the recoil-spring enough to get the slide back far enough to extract/eject the case.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Last edited by AndyC; 07-18-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 01:34 PM

I would check the extractor tension. Do the shake test. If it doesn't hold the bullet increase the tension.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:44 PM

Be specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogs00 View Post
Third time to the range. Fails to eject every time. Every time. New gun with maybe 300 rounds through it. I have talked to CS and I have the shipping label to send it back. What keeps eating at me is after I brought it back from the range I loaded a mag and racked the slide to try and simulate what was happening. I racked the entire magazine with no problems. What am I missing. Donít want to send it back if itís something simple.
If you really want an answer to your problem, you can start by being very specific about the problem you are experiencing. Show a picture. Basically, you just called an auto mechanic and said "hey, my car is acting funny! What could be the problem?"
Old 07-18-2019, 04:02 PM

When I say fails to eject, the spent round stays in the chamber and the next round try’s to feed only to hit the spent case remaining in the barrel, which causes the jam. Running federal premium 9mm Luger 115 grain fmj rn brass ammunition.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:04 PM

See above. Does that help?
Old 07-18-2019, 06:50 PM

Did you check the extractor tension ?
Old 07-18-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
See above. Does that help?
Big help. Like broadus sez, check extractor tension.
If you're not familiar with extractor adjustment do a search for the topic or give it to someone who knows what to look for.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:59 AM

Failure to eject

Have you tried a lighter recoil spring? It could be that itís sprung so tightly that the slide wonít go back far enough to eject the casing. I know RIAs are sprung a little tighter. I have a SA Mil-spec FS .45 that has a 16 lb factory recoil spring while my RIA tactical (same sz/cal.) uses an 18 lb factory spring. Itíd be a cheap and easy fix. Even if it doesnít fix it, youíll have an extra recoil spring for the lighter loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole982 View Post
Have you tried a lighter recoil spring? It could be that it’s sprung so tightly that the slide won’t go back far enough to eject the casing. I know RIAs are sprung a little tighter. I have a SA Mil-spec FS .45 that has a 16 lb factory recoil spring while my RIA tactical (same sz/cal.) uses an 18 lb factory spring. It’d be a cheap and easy fix. Even if it doesn’t fix it, you’ll have an extra recoil spring for the lighter loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would check extractor tension before even purchasing recoil springs. Is the ejector broke , Also its new send it back to the mother ship.

Last edited by jfbong; 07-19-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
When I say fails to eject, the spent round stays in the chamber and the next round try’s to feed only to hit the spent case remaining in the barrel
Extractor tension.

Your extractor is simply losing its hold on the case-rim while trying to haul it out of the chamber.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Last edited by AndyC; 07-19-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:42 PM

I had the same problem with my 9mm, tried everything from changing springs to putting more tension of the extractor and same old problem. I was cleaning it and was looking at the ejector ( which is cast metal) and the front of the ejector was rough, so I filed the top and front of the ejector to smooth it out, guess what problem solved. I haven't had one failure since.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:18 AM

Same FTE problem with my A2 FS TACT.MM in both 9mm and 22TCM. Last magazine - six FTE's in first seven rounds. Previously I had my gunsmith adjust extractor tension to little effect. I also adjusted the tension with little result. Just sent it back to Armscor. Let's see what they do.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:16 PM

Good move let Armscor take care of it!