Colt Ace finish - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 AM

Colt Ace finish

I have been offered a late 1930's Colt Ace in apparent good condition.

However, I only recollect seeing these with a polished blue finish over the entire
pistol. The one being offered has matte blue to the top of the slide, the
spine/blade of the hammer, the grip safety, the front-strap, the triggerguard,
the front edge of the trigger, and the underside of the frame and dust cap.

The sides of the frame and slide are polished blue.

I see no obvious evidence of re-finishing, but am puzzled by the amount of
matte blue finish on this particular example.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-23-2019, 09:24 AM

It sounds to me like a post war factory refinish after they had gone to the "duo-tone" finish.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 AM

I really don’t know much about the history of all the options that Colt offered. But I bought a Colt Conversation Kit (slide only). It is highly polished blue sides. Mine came with a box. It has the floating chamber. I used to shoot it a lot, not so much anymore.

I would wonder if the slide was from an original “slide only conversation kit” and that along the way the frame was added - not original to the slide. Does the frame indicate that it is an Ace? Or does it say Ace on the slide only? Does its serial number on the frame indicate it was a .22? Things I would think about. Maybe better in the Colt subforum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2019, 11:20 AM

Pictures would help a lot.

There is a huge difference between an Ace versus a Service Model Ace. (aka SM)

In reference to an actual SM frame, not all but most - SNs would be prefixed SM, if it were a factory assembled .22. Most.

The variants are many, and can appear to be jabberwocky. Did I mention this was a Colt product?

There are a few different types of separately offered Colt factory .22 conversions. (Uppers: slide/bbl/mag)

There’s even a .45 conversion unit to make your 22 Service Model shoot the big stuff. Then there’s “U Prefixes”, the mind reels.

I can’t walk past any .22 caliber martial conversion (or trainer) without stopping. I now own maybe 15+ 1911s that eat .22LR. (And Lugers, P38s, CZs plus 1922s, Enfields and ....) All .22s

Send pics!

(In this pic, zoom in to see markings on a Colt Service Model Ace, 70’s or so, note slide mark and SN)
Attached Thumbnails
BF2B2CF3-0F81-4775-B52C-BA90281CE646.jpeg  

Beware the man with one gun,
...and several spare magazines.

Last edited by Company_Man; 05-23-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:51 PM

Pix would be good, but I'm having difficulty in loading same.

I abandoned Photobucket years ago and have found that uploading images direct from My PC is straightforward and easy on other forums that use the same or similar platform to this one.

As to the pistol, it is definitely pre-war, the serial No, is 71XX - clearly stamped on the frontstrap, and repeated on the frame right side just above the trigger. The legend on the right side of the slide is 'COLT <ACE> .22 LONG RIFLE. Thre is no other marking on the frame except for the numerals 38 stamped on the upper front lug of the trigger-guard.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 AM

Prewar colts are some of the best guns in the history of firearms. If you can get it do so.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrover View Post
I have been offered a late 1930's Colt Ace in apparent good condition.

However, I only recollect seeing these with a polished blue finish over the entire
pistol.
That is correct. Pistol should have a oven blue finish on all exterior surfaces. Much like the following pics.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:16 PM

Ooooh! Old time gasoline fired oven blue. Today the EPA would have a coronary just thinking about a factory doing that........