Mother demands gun control! No more prayers or thoughts !! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 07:41 AM

Mother demands gun control! No more prayers or thoughts !!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...t-gun-control/
Old 11-09-2018, 08:36 AM

And yet, no call for "cell phone control", in spite of the 4000 teen deaths each year due to distracted driving.
Guns are evil, and cell phones are a "necessity". Plus, of course, those are only accidents. Nothing to see here, move along.
L.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
And yet, no call for "cell phone control", in spite of the 4000 teen deaths each year due to distracted driving.
Guns are evil, and cell phones are a "necessity". Plus, of course, those are only accidents. Nothing to see here, move along.
L.

So the mother of a shooting victim is talking about guns and your surprised?

Now maybe just maybe if the shooting victim was a cell phone victim her focus might be something else. Granted the attention given her might be less but her outrage would be focused elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
L.
Not to mention "social media control", "illegal drug control"...nothing to say to a distraught mother though...
Old 11-09-2018, 09:00 AM

I agree with the mother about the thoughts and prayers, but REALLY disagree with her call for gun control. I do understand how a grieving parent might react.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
I agree with the mother about the thoughts and prayers, but REALLY disagree with her call for gun control. I do understand how a grieving parent might react.

Agreed
Old 11-09-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
Agreed
Certainly. My thoughts were more generalized on the non-stop call for gun control. The inanimate object isn't the problem here. Nor is it ever looked at in that regard, with the sole exception of firearms.
L.

Last edited by L.E.; 11-09-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Another +1911.

She recognises that something is wrong and that condolences and prayers aren't much of an answer.

But she is very mistaken as to causes and solutions/improvements.

Disarmed people have fared very badly over hundreds of years of human experiences. How quickly do people forget (liberals, that is)

When leftists call for "gun control" it is nothing more than a thinly veiled "dog whistle" to rally gun-ban types and to hope to conceal their real intentions from those gullible enough to miss the reality.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 11-09-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Certainly. My thoughts were more generalized on the non-stop call for gun control. The inanimate object isn't the problem here. Nor is it ever looked at in that regard, with the sole exception of firearms.
L.

I have had a.45 at least since age 17in the Marines, I have many weapons, but never hurt anyone at age 69 now. It is the person, not the object.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
L.

Got it and thanks for clarifying. She's just responding to her outrage and frustration. Certainly doesn't mean she has or will ever have the answer. Frankly I'm not sure anyone does at this point.

I know it's na´ve but I do wish more people from both sides could at least discuss this problem in a more reasonable manner however.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Got it and thanks for clarifying. She's just responding to her outrage and frustration. Certainly doesn't mean she has or will ever have the answer. Frankly I'm not sure anyone does at this point.

I know it's na´ve but I do wish more people from both sides could at least discuss this problem in a more reasonable manner however.
Just watched her on the news, and feel tremendous sympathy. You'll be seeing the clip a lot, I predict. You'll also see the facts starting to come out on the shooter's obvious issues. That will be minimally discussed, even though it's the real heart of the issue.
As to your last sentence, I'm not sure what reasonable solution you imagine between two groups, one that wants to see no guns owned by individuals in our society, and a second that believes in their right to do so.
L.

Last edited by L.E.; 11-09-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Just watched her on the news, and feel tremendous sympathy. You'll be seeing the clip a lot, I predict.
As to your last sentence, I'm not sure what reasonable solution you imagine between two groups, one that wants to see no guns owned by individuals in our society, and a second that believes in their right to do so.
L.

Not a solution at this point, just a reasonable discussion and we can't even do that.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I always ask people to explain exactly what gun control is needed. People need to understand that in California in order to purchase a handgun we must:

1) Be 21 or older
2) Pass a more extensive background check than a most of the country
3) Posses a Firearms Safety Certificate
4) wait 10 days to take possession.

This along with no DV convictions or RO/TRO, etc.

So what additional law exactly would have prevented this tragedy?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:47 AM

I demand no more gun control!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologist View Post
I always ask people to explain exactly what gun control is needed. People need to understand that in California in order to purchase a handgun we must:

1) Be 21 or older
2) Pass a more extensive background check than a most of the country
3) Posses a Firearms Safety Certificate
4) wait 10 days to take possession.

This along with no DV convictions or RO/TRO, etc.

So what additional law exactly would have prevented this tragedy?

Ok, but is it not also possible that some of these laws prevented some potential tragedies from happening?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Not a solution at this point, just a reasonable discussion and we can't even do that.
Perhaps they'll be a time when folks with intelligence and no ulterior motives do that, but I won't hold me breath. The first step will need to be recognizing that the actual problem isn't the guns, but instead the people. That flies in the face of the gun control proponents, I don't see it happening.
L.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Ok, but is it not also possible that some of these laws prevented some potential tragedies from happening?
The "if it saves just one life" argument is ridiculous, unless you're willing to give up everything. Let's start with your car....
Old 11-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
The "if it saves just one life" argument is ridiculous, unless you're willing to give up everything. Let's start with your car....

Well unfortunately for gun owners there are more car owners than there are gun owners so good luck with that. Besides nothing with those laws say you can't own a gun it just places restrictions or delays on doing so. That is with the exception of possibly denying ownership to certain individuals the state deems as unsafe to do so. In that case isn't that what we ultimately want to take place? Don't we all desire that people who are thought to be unsafe to our well being not to be able to do so? In fact doesn't everyone agree that it's the person and not the gun. So how exactly do you go about trying to identify these individuals if not by doing more thorough checks?

Last edited by Dddrees; 11-09-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:22 AM

Sure. Nothing more unsafe than a 20 year-old that wants to exercise their Constitutional right. As an adult.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sure. Nothing more unsafe than a 20 year-old that wants to exercise their Constitutional right. As an adult.

I never said I agreed with all of those restrictions. Do you however believe they should set an age limit and if so how old?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I never said I agreed with all of those restrictions. Do you however believe they should set an age limit and if so how old?
Had one for years, 18. They just started jacking it up all around the country after the Parkland shooting. As if this was only a problem with 19 & 20 year-olds. Or that the legal requirement of 18 was somehow a deterrent in any way to all of the various 14-17 year-old school shooters. But never for an instant did they stop from enacting more restrictions on gun ownership, though. More laws that only affect law-abiding citizens, and do absolutely zero to combat further acts of violence committed with guns. Remind me again why I should have a discussion with these people?
L.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Had one for years, 18. They just started jacking it up all around the country after the Parkland shooting. As if this was only a problem with 19 & 20 year-olds. Or that the legal requirement of 18 was somehow a deterrent in any way to all of the various 14-17 year-old school shooters. But never for an instant did they stop from enacting more restrictions on gun ownership, though. More laws that only affect law-abiding citizens, and do absolutely zero to combat further acts of violence committed with guns. Remind me again why I should have a discussion with these people?
L.
Do you see this being any different with regards to the legal age to drink? Somehow I see being old enough to serve, vote, own a gun, and being able to drink as being something that all should be the same age. However I think statistics on drinking may indicate this might not be a good thing. Not sure we have anything that points to gun ownership being a problem other than a few recent examples which maybe more knee jerk than anything else.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Murder of another is the oldest law on the books. Does that law work?

CD

Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16'
Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14,17 & 18'
Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
Murder of another is the oldest law on the books. Does that law work?

CD

Does it?

No law is bullet proof.

But I'll be darned if we don't keep writing them.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:24 PM

At the least earn and get approved to Carry with a CCP. I live in AZ. I don't need a permit to purchase a pistol on the spot. Because I have a CCP. Have people responsible that have no mealth health problems buy and own them. Yet criminals will always have guns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread