Stash gun? pistol for long term storage - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-29-2018, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Once I put my handguns in long-term storage, and I soaked them in Break-Free and put them in heavy-duty Zip-Loc bags, then inside pistol rugs. They were still perfectly fine and oiled up a couple of years later.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:08 AM

I shootem up with breakfree or similar, then seal them in those blue vpi bags.

Ammo goes in military ammo cans with some desiccant.
I have 45 ammo from the 40's that is 100% reliable.
When I tried ammo from 1917, 1926, 1929, 1932 they were all duds.

Last edited by Oldfut808; 09-30-2018 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:50 AM

I would leave it in my nightstand drawer... slide glide and C1

Last edited by HarryO45; 09-30-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 07:52 AM

Flip side:

We had a minor, undetected roof leak a few years ago. A seldom-used closet got a bit damp inside before we discovered it.

The closet held, among other things, a couple of overflow rifles that wouldn't fit in the safe. One will never be pretty again, the other is going to need a new barrel to be safe to shoot.

Therefore, my ideas of unattended long-term storage involve things like those heavy plastic storage bags and dessiccant packs.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:00 PM

^^^

Good point about unexpected sources of water damage.

I begin by thoroughly spraying my LT storage guns with Barricade.
Then place in a Borestores gun sock (treated to combat corrosion).
Next place in watertight and virtually airtight container purchased at Container Store.
Prior to closing the container, I place both an Eva-Dry unit and a standard safe dessicant pack in the container.
Also prior to closing, I place a humidity gauge in the transparent container, with face of guage facing outward (obviously).
Soon after closing, the humidity gauge reading goes below 20%.

I live in Texas. High humidity.

There are obviously multiple good ways to reach the same objective. The above is merely my approach.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 10-20-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:15 PM

If you bury it, literally cover it (encase) in full synthetic motor oil. Most common plastic bags are not good for wrapping as most are biodegradable, you need something like polyethylene, PEX won't degrade when buried. Some type of PEX jug with lid, big enough to hold pistol, fill with oil, silicone on lid threads, put lid on, bury.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 10-25-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:42 AM

Does anyone made long rifle length zip lock bags? That would be pretty neat. Spray on the Breakfree and slip it into a long zip lock bag, etc. Years ago I had bought some long rifle size bags with a rust retardant paper insert. I still have a few of them that I use still. But I haven't located a new source for them.
I ran across these when I searched so far: https://www.amazon.com/ShieldPro-Saf.../dp/B00EV3VTRA

Last edited by earlwb; 10-28-2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: typo and add more information
Old 10-28-2018, 09:58 AM

All good ideas. Another option is what the Navy uses, it's available on the commercial market as "Fluidfilm", a key ingredient ids lanolin.

Whatever you choose be sure it is designed for it's intended use whether it's for cleaning, daily care or long term storage. I get a kick out of people using products for cleaning that contain acids and then complain about rust and corrosion!

Chemical product's MSDS information can help find out what's in there!

Smiles,
Old 10-28-2018, 03:46 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
If you bury it, literally cover it (encase) in full synthetic motor oil. Most common plastic bags are not good for wrapping as most are biodegradable, you need something like polyethylene, PEX won't degrade when buried. Some type of PEX jug with lid, big enough to hold pistol, fill with oil, silicone on lid threads, put lid on, bury.
P.S. remove the wood grips and store In the bag along with tools you'll need, remember you'll need to thoroughly degrease and properly re-lube the gun....unless you think It's a good Idea to shoot It with a firing pin channel full of oil.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:08 PM

If I were doing this I would also go for a Glock and a few mags. Make sure grease does not migrate to what ever ammo you might stash.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambob View Post
P.S. remove the wood grips and store In the bag along with tools you'll need, remember you'll need to thoroughly degrease and properly re-lube the gun....unless you think It's a good Idea to shoot It with a firing pin channel full of oil.
I had assumed retrieval would not be for immediate use.

Any fluid will eventually fill in everywhere, so whether it be oil, water, or other, the item would need to be drained out accordingly.

Whatever fluid used it has to be something that will not absorb water.
WD40 might also be an ok choice.

Underground animals/bugs are a risk to be accounted for.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrwalsh View Post
If I were doing this I would also go for a Glock and a few mags. Make sure grease does not migrate to what ever ammo you might stash.

Personally, I think I'd lean towards a revolver for long term storage. The lack of needing magazines would be a big benefit, and in the case of a 357, you'd get a survival gun that could use more than one cartridge.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:54 AM

I'm not looking to bury this, it will be stored in a climate and humidity controlled area. It would not be for immediate use, but more of an "oh crap, house burned down, there's nothing I own left" kind of situation.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
I'm not looking to bury this, it will be stored in a climate and humidity controlled area. It would not be for immediate use, but more of an "oh crap, house burned down, there's nothing I own left" kind of situation.
Unless it's zero humidity the water in the air will cause corrosion on everything.
But, if you keep it in such a place like you say, put it in plastic jug with wide mouth lid, drop item in, fill with WD40, put lid on.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:44 AM

I lean towards a revolver (or even better, a black powder revolver) for a variety of reasons. But that's just me.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:17 AM

I would look for a used M&P for the same reasons as others have stated. It would need very little prep for long term storage. A major amount of the pistol that's not polymer is stainless steel. Sights, Complete Chassis/slide rails, Sear housing block,Guide rod, Slide, and barrel. There may be other parts, but these I know are. We used M&P's as our duty guns and were subject to the humidity (Florida) and rain exposure for months at a time with almost no maintenance. I never saw one come training time that had any rust on it anywhere.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
I would look for a used M&P for the same reasons as others have stated. It would need very little prep for long term storage. A major amount of the pistol that's not polymer is stainless steel. Sights, Complete Chassis/slide rails, Sear housing block,Guide rod, Slide, and barrel. There may be other parts, but these I know are. We used M&P's as our duty guns and were subject to the humidity (Florida) and rain exposure for months at a time with almost no maintenance. I never saw one come training time that had any rust on it anywhere.
Months?
It's in the DP sub forum and the Q was "long term storage". I was thinking years. But, stainless is not a bad choice, but, if one was to keep the item in say WD40 or oil then it doesnt matter what metals. Wood grips should be removed, etc.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
Months?
It's in the DP sub forum and the Q was "long term storage". I was thinking years. But, stainless is not a bad choice, but, if one was to keep the item in say WD40 or oil then it doesnt matter what metals. Wood grips should be removed, etc.

Yeah, Months. Of course you left out the important parts like "Florida humidity, and rain" that would be worse to a weapon than years in a climate controlled air conditioned storage facility as the OP was stating this weapon would be secured in.The M&P would, in my opinion, not need any special care other than a light lube on the metal parts for an extended period. No need once so ever for a drastic oil dunk that in time of need would be a messy clean up proposition. If he asked for a method to bury it in the yard,(which he didn't) your suggestion would be very good.

Last edited by M-Peltier; 11-03-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
Personally, I think I'd lean towards a revolver for long term storage. The lack of needing magazines would be a big benefit, and in the case of a 357, you'd get a survival gun that could use more than one cartridge.
I agree with this, and the other similar posts. Hard to beat the simplicity, robustness, reliability of a steel revolver. And no magazines is a plus.
After that, I agree with the posts to consider a cheap,used Glock or M&P (not hard to find on sites like Armslist).
Old 12-02-2018, 07:57 PM

A Glock in 9mm or a 686 would fit the bill.

Out a coat of Renaissance Wax on it, and put a small tube of gun oil and 50-100 rounds with it. Holster and some speed loaders or spare mags depending on the gun, and you should be good to go.

Please be aware that there is also a member named Tom R. He and I are two different Site Members.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Something tells me I ought to take a metal detector with me each time I go hiking in the woods from now on. Never know what I might find.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:58 AM

I figure your only joking but, I don't think I'm the only one who has anti tampering measure's In place on all my stashes. put It this way If you happen across a plastic wrapped entrenching tool about a foot underground STOP and walk away. Just putting that out there.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:22 PM

Rock Island M200. 38 Special, revolver, 4" barrell. $200 new.

Pocket = LCP w/Crimson Trace
IWB Appendix = Walther PPS
IWB = S&W 1911PD
Old 12-09-2018, 01:19 AM

Are we assuming that no gun stores will exist, after the house burns down?
Old 12-09-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoger View Post
Are we assuming that no gun stores will exist, after the house burns down?

I'm assuming that I will have more pressing matters than gun shopping, but still not interested in being without while I resolve that other stuff.