Springfield Quality - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 01:11 AM

Springfield Quality

I have read recently that Springfield Armory is making 1911 pistols on new machinery and that buyers are experiencing quality issues in the build of 1911's coming off the line. Is safe to buy yet or should a person wait a year or just buy another brand.? Quality impressions from recent buyers might be an interesting gauge.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:57 AM

With how good the CS is I wouldn't really worry about it but this is the first i have heard of this and I don't see a lot more issues on the forums and I think we probably would ..
Old 12-14-2017, 04:33 AM

So far it looks like things have stabilized . The EMP4 had some teething issues but since
the contour has been released most of the issues seem to have been resolved .

The same goes for the RO 5 inch pistols . Things were up and down for awhile on fitment
issues but things seem to have stabilized in that area as well .

The machining has not really been the issue it seemed to be assembly on those two
models . If you look at the loaded line the machining seems to have improved a lot ,
some of those pistols I have seen at stores seem custom fit tight in the frame to slide area .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 06:58 AM

Recently acquired a couple ROs one in 9mm and one in 45. Both had no issues, ran flawlessly and performed well in shooting matches. Very pleased with fit, finish and overall attention to assembly fit and detail. With SA’s excellent customer service experiences in past, wouldn’t”t worry about it.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:18 AM

I have to agree with bill above, from the things reported here I think Springfield MAY have turned a corner, I hope so ! I have bought 3 (xds.45, emp4, And 5” SS 9mm RO) in the last year or so, all were terrible out of the box, the xds and the emp 4 both were just really dirty inside and both required polishing the feed ramp and both have ran perfectly since other than the glued ejector falling out lately on the emp. But I feel that the majority of buyer,s if these pistols have had good experiences, and other than pinning the ejector I think stepping up the quality is the answer. On the Range Officer it was basically extremely tight fit but the extractor was very loose fitting causing all sorts of issues plus the accuracy was terrible, sending it back to customer service was a good/bad experience,good people bad repair quality, I suspect that Springfield is probably just hiring people off the street for their service repairs, accuracy was worse than original, barrel was loose in the slide. All of which prompted me to move it over to the custom shop second time back it came back very tight and accurate, but several things were wrong there as well, barrel springing and very poor mimstop pin with a huge casting part line. Some work on my part and the gun is great, reading others experience says my experience was the exception and not the rule but all this prompted me to by other brands in the last months, not a Springfield, I am a Springfield fan and prefer their products but am unwilling to spend anymore of my retirement money on substandard quality, maybe next time, I really like the trp in stainless.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:19 AM

Springfield Quality

I have an EMP4 that I bought roughly a year ago. I carry the pistol as well as compete with it, it has run flawlessly. Also,it is a very well finished pistol. No burs, clearances are tight but not too tight to trust as a carry gun. Only thing I didnít like was the ambi safety; it was a little too sharp for my liking and Iím just not a fan of ambis anyways. Also, I have a set of StonerCNC slim grips with thumb scoop bc I likem. Lastly I changed to FO from red to green bc Iím cool like that.

All that being said, if youíre interested in a Springfield, I say buy it; theyíre all very nice pistols. And, while Iíve never had to use it, SAís CS reputation should be good enough to instill that much more confidence in purchasing.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by mossyoaktoe; 12-14-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:46 PM

New buyer here, just purchased a new MC Operator 1911, Model PX9110ML and could not be happier.

I haven't purchased a new pistol in about 5 years and was unaware of their QC issues, but this Loaded model is AMAZING. Just to gauge my reaction, I own a Nighthawk Custom GRP Recon and a complete customized gun from John Harrison, so I know a good gun when I handle one.

I agree with Billy1911, the frame/slide fit is custom tight. The barrel to bushing fit is also very good. I've fired about 200 rounds through it using the supplied G.I. magazines it comes with, starting with one round in each mag for a couple cycles, then full mags. Not one malfunction at all, using WWB and Federal aluminum cased 230 grain fodder.

I don't know when it was manufactured, but I got the sense from the dealer they can be hard to get, so I think it was manufactured pretty recently. I'm sorry to hear their QC had gone downhill of late, but if this pistol is any indication of what they are producing, buy with confidence.

Of course this applies to 1911's, and may not apply to their XD or other product lines, I just don't know. But I'm delighted with the MC Operator. Will put another 250 rounds through her on Saturday, and unless I post in here again, assume another 250 flawless rounds downrange.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:46 PM

I recently picked up an EMP4 9mm, and haven't had any issues at all....
Old 12-14-2017, 04:55 PM

I work at a popular gun store in central Virginia. We sell Springfield 1911's and their entire line of poly-frame guns.
We have experienced NO issues with Springfield quality.
Additionally, I own five Springfield 1911's (two acquired recently, the other three over the past 15 years) and a XDMod2 in .45acp. All have performed flawlessly.
I would agree with the comment about Springfield's customer service. On those very rare occasions when we've sent a customer's 1911 or poly gun to Springfield for service, the work is done quickly and the problem solved successfully.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:03 PM

I've owned a TRP for 7+ years, not one issue; have an EMP40 for 7 years, and it too, has had zero issues; except the rear sight needs alignment (off to the left some, TRP is almost perfect). Haven't used their customer service; did have to use Sig service. I'll just say I am much more satisfied with S&W firearms and service, than I am with Sig. Any S&W issues I've had, were fixed without hesitation (first time, except for the Bodyguard 380 when it first came out, laser issues). S&W cust. service is excellent, if you need it. I also like CZ cust service, always a fast response, but never needed any service; just questions answered. Would buy a Springfield again, absolutely.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Walker View Post
I have read recently that Springfield Armory is making 1911 pistols on new machinery and that buyers are experiencing quality issues in the build of 1911's coming off the line. Is safe to buy yet or should a person wait a year or just buy another brand.? Quality impressions from recent buyers might be an interesting gauge.

Mountain Walker :

I will say that I'am a big Springfield fanboy because of a couple of very key
issues that Springfield themselves sold me on . #1 is great customer support
and service , that always seems to be fast and friendly . They also seem to Value
you as a customer. #2 Value , Springfield's prices , for the amount of pistol
you buy . You get your money's worth , plain and simple .

Really the only down side to Springfield Armory at this time is SACS .
Springfield Armory Custom Shop . You used to be able to send your
Excellent stock pistol in to them , and they would modify your stock
pistol to your hearts content . You want 30 lpi checkering they would
do it. You want a 4.0 lb trigger job they would do it . If you could
dream it up for your pistol , they could do it and usually get it back to
you within 3 months . It was Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory , but for
1911's . Sadly they do not do that type of work anymore , but they do
build awesome full custom pistols still .

What pistol are you looking to purchase ?
Old 12-14-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonedbrown View Post
With how good the CS is I wouldn't really worry about it but this is the first i have heard of this and I don't see a lot more issues on the forums and I think we probably would ..
I don't need to offend but I look at it just the opposite way. I don't spend high dollars (to me) that if something is wrong I can feel at ease in getting it fixed by nice people. When I spend money on a gun, I expect it to work straight out of the box. I have owned an approximate hundred guns in my life, thus far, and I have never had to return a gun to anyone and that includes Colt, S&W, Kimber, Ruger, Winchester, Browning, to name a few. This idea to buy Springfield is OK because they have great customer service is ridiculous. It is a plus, yes, but other companies have the same good customer service except for perhaps Taurus and a couple others. And, I have gotten a lot of help from Colt when it has been needed.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:09 PM

In the good old days perhaps 'out of the box' QC was more controlled.
Lately I read forums for high end $$$$ 1911s that get returned for whatever issue...
Colts as well,.yet the buyers are happy when they get them back...

So no absolutes. Customer service IS important. Lifetime warranty is better !

My SA 9MM Loaded made Jan 2017 is tight and came with a fine trigger out of the box.
No machining flaws.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:47 PM

I have am EMP 4 that has about 200 rounds and it is going back for a bunch of misfires. Not a happy camper but I do have other Springfieldís that are very good. Luck of the draw I guess.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:04 PM

A few years ago bought a 1911 government and a 1911 Commander or officer's size from Springer. Both were nightmares of FTE. Sent them back to be repaired. Came back still doing the same thing. Sold them and will never buy from Springfield again. Your mileage may vary.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:41 PM

I've dealt with S&W and I've dealt with Colt and I've dealt with Les himself way back and nobody comes close to the product and service quality that I've received from SA Custom on several occasions over several years.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:12 AM

I have sold all Springfields with one exception, my Mil Spec. It is an excellent pistol. My TRP Op and the LW Champion Op were excellent as well, but I sold those to buy other guns. The last two I purchased, a RO Champion and a RO, both in 9mm, were awful. They looked good but could not produce a predictable and repeatable grouping. And the FTEs were frequent. I decided to get rid of them rather than send them back. They should have worked right out of the box.
From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 12-15-2017, 08:36 AM

Posts like these are the reason that while I like and shoot 1911's best my EDCs are usually one of several H&Ks. No big discussions about CS since it is rarely needed. 4 H&Ks shot a lot and the only issue was a bad reload (poor brass and double powder that blew up fame a little) was sent in and received back in the same week. I'm trying to overcome my distaste for a safety with a Dan Wesson. So far this 1911 has proven flawless and I hope to never test their CS.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:38 AM

Sc, keep in mind that with DW you only get a oe owner 5 year warranty, my opinion, that for the price it should be better.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:11 AM

I only have experiences with 2 Springfield 1911's, but both ran flawlessly through several hundred rounds, with a very wide variety of ammos (one is a NM Mil-spec stainless, the other a imbel,commander-sized Champion).
If I was buying new, another SA would definitely be in consideration.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:40 PM

Only have one SA and it is a 1911 RO in .45 ACP. Has run flawless from day 1 with one exception. It will not reliably fire Fiocchi ammo. The firing pin strikes the primer, but does not ignite. Probably a 50/50 probability of the round firing. The strikes aren't particularly "light" but the round does not fire.

I thought it was the gun, called SA, they said that Fiocchi was not good ammo for their 1911s and not to use it.

Never had an issue with any other brand of ammo in the RO. I just don't feed it Fiocchi anymore.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Walker View Post
I bought a Springfield Milspec middle of last year, supposedly made on new machineries. I am not happy with the fitting and the subpar quality of the small parts. I contacted CS, also not happy with response.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
I bought a Springfield Milspec middle of last year, supposedly made on new machineries. I am not happy with the fitting and the subpar quality of the small parts. I contacted CS, also not happy with response.
I am hearing more of this these days. I hope Springfield recovers and becomes the Springfield of 2012. My experience with Springfield Custom was not good, but I heard they did good work for most people.
From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 12-16-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monadh View Post
I am hearing more of this these days. I hope Springfield recovers and becomes the Springfield of 2012. My experience with Springfield Custom was not good, but I heard they did good work for most people.
I can assure you that if you contact SA over the phone and are POLITE when you describe your issue, you will receive the same in return. I've sent every fixed-sight SA pistol back for a POA=POI and they have been nothing but polite and they have handled every request cheerfully and respectfully.

Sometimes you get what you give in life. It's hard for a customer service person to listen to complaints all day, some aggressive or bitter, and not respond in kind. There's only so much verbal abuse one person can take. I'm not saying you did that but always remember you are talking to a human being on the other end. Maybe a wife, mother, husband... maybe sick kids at home, kid just got a speeding ticket or whatever. Even if the policy sucks, you have to understand that person on the phone very likely didn't set the policy. He/She is just following the rules and you are far more likely to have them bent if you are polite.

Penne has handled most of my work and she is extremely polite and extremely helpful. I just can't understand how people call into SA and say that their experience was bad. Get what you give?
Old 12-17-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noose View Post
Penne has handled most of my work and she is extremely polite and extremely helpful. I just can't understand how people call into SA and say that their experience was bad. Get what you give?
Never spoken with her, my calls over the last 4 years were handled by Amanda and lately Debbie who are both not only extremely polite and helpful but also extremely knowledgeable about all technical issues. Pleasure to talk with them, I'd love to buy them a beer.

People who complain about SA Custom are the kinds of people that make me change tables at a restaurant.