1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-18-2015, 10:51 PM

9mm extractors losing tension

Hey gang,
Both my 9mms have lost extractor tension within 600 rounds.
The first is an SA Range Officer and the second a Dan Wesson ECO.
Ammo for both has been umc and Winchester white box.
Both guns have had a bit of feeding trouble. The SA has a really tight chamber and failed to feed a few improperly sized reloads.
The ECO has had a bunch of failures to return to battery but had been getting better. Then suddenly around 500 rounds, extraction failures on every round.
Is possible, I'm doing something to them that is ruining extractors? Neither has visible damage. I adjusted both extractors and will test again next week.
I would like to figure out the root cause of the problem but, i have no idea why an extractor would suddenly stop working after so few rounds.
Thanks!

Last edited by MattK; 03-19-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:17 AM

You are loading all rounds from the magazine aren't you? Closing the slide on a loaded chamber will mess up the extractor.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:45 PM

Are the fte happening on factory ammo or just the reloads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 AM

Yep loading from the mag only.
Reloads were quickly set aside.
Both guns were put on factory ammo after the first few problems with the reloads.
Factory ammo was UMC and WWB
Old 03-20-2015, 12:32 PM

I've had one .45 acp extractor fail at fewer than 500 rounds. If you've replaced one or both of them since your post and the tension is "gone" again it might rule out bad extractors and would indicate funky extractor tuning or some other issue. Take a look at Kuhnhausen Vol I for correct extractor geometry if you're unsure.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:32 PM

I think the S-A extractors are MIM. Try something from EGW. That's what I replaced my 9mm Range Officer's with; or find an original Colt.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:42 PM

One thing that can happen without you knowing it, is inertia feeding during a string of fire where the cartridge goes in front of the extractor which then jumps the rim. Over time this may weaken the tension.

LOG

Old 03-20-2015, 04:40 PM

I have 7 1911s at the moment, never had a problem, I did have to tune a couple when the guns were new. Some have MIM extractors, no problems as of yet. I know the Kimber, Ruger, Citadel, SA are MIM.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 PM

If it was one gun, I'd suspect the part but two guns!?
Log, I did and still do count inertial feeds as a possibility but, not likely.
Especially on the Dan Wesson. I took the extractor out and dang if it doesn't look liken it was hand fit.
I've owned more than a few 1911s but these are my first 9mms over than a Kimber thst ran really well.
I guess I'm just stumped at how 2 guns from different manufacturers could have the same failing part so early in their lives.
The DW is going back to the factory on Monday. It's such a nice little gun and I'd like to carry it but not until it runs properly. It also has some FTBR issues that should have gone away now. Ill tinker on a $700 dollar but ill let DW do the work for free for the money they go for.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:45 PM

My 9mm extractor is hard to get out, I have to use a probe to get the claw to clear the breach face. Maybe you're loosening the extractor tention while dissembling them?
Old 03-21-2015, 04:36 AM

Extractor tension....

I would check to make sure the nose of the extractor is not contacting the barrel at lock-up.....if it is, you can see a mark on the barrel. I know I have had to file down some extractors that were too long on some of the gunsmith barrels I have fitted.....
Old 03-21-2015, 06:06 AM

Didn't take either out until they started to.misbehave.
Hitting the barrel makes sense. I look for marks for that.
That may indeed by the problem.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK View Post
If it was one gun, I'd suspect the part but two guns!?
Log, I did and still do count inertial feeds as a possibility but, not likely.
Especially on the Dan Wesson. I took the extractor out and dang if it doesn't look liken it was hand fit.
I've owned more than a few 1911s but these are my first 9mms over than a Kimber thst ran really well.
I guess I'm just stumped at how 2 guns from different manufacturers could have the same failing part so early in their lives.
The DW is going back to the factory on Monday. It's such a nice little gun and I'd like to carry it but not until it runs properly. It also has some FTBR issues that should have gone away now. Ill tinker on a $700 dollar but ill let DW do the work for free for the money they go for.
I tracked inertia feed to a bad magazine, it was allowing the round to bounce out ahead of the slide/extractor. New mag corrected this. this isn't an extractor problem.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:37 AM

Big Pete, it's not a mag problem. That I know for sure.
Malfunction occured with 8 different mags including the SA front ramp style mags.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I think the S-A extractors are MIM.
Not 100% impossible but highly unlikely that the extractor is MIM because that in not a suitable application for MIM manufacture. IF, by chance, that part is a product of MIM manufacture and the parts fails, the fault isn't with that manufacturing method but rather the builder using it in the wrong application.

Bruce
Old 03-22-2015, 09:04 PM

One way to fix it is with an AFTEC extractor. Its expensive, but they work really well on 9mm and 40 1911's.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...-prod7607.aspx
Old 03-23-2015, 04:49 AM

Aftec extractor.....

The Aftec extractor is a good product, but I have never needed to use one. If a gun is properly built, a good quality standard extractor that is "tuned" for the gun will work properly and hold the proper tension......
Old 03-23-2015, 08:21 AM

My SA Mixmaster 9mm extractor wasn't much punkin.
The gun now has an EGW part.
The takeoff extractor has tool marks but no mold line or ejector pin marks, so it seems not to be MIM. Just not a snug fit and not quite springy enough.
My Ultra Compact is ok thus far but it doesn't get shot as much as the big gun.

The stock Colt is fine and I would have expected better from a DW.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pete10 View Post
I tracked inertia feed to a bad magazine, it was allowing the round to bounce out ahead of the slide/extractor. New mag corrected this. this isn't an extractor problem.
I'm rolling down this thread and I'm already thinking this, but you got there first. Not uncommon for a round to jump ahead of the extractor, it's a magazine timing issue.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:53 AM

New mags didn't fix it. I put more tension on the SA extractor. It's seems to be ok now.
The DW is headed back to DW to correct it's return to battery problems as well as the extractor.
Could hanging up slightly out of battery a couple dozen times cause an extractor to go bad? The DW extractor certainly looks like a nice part. I've seen broken claws and poor extractor tension.but not sudden loss of tension.