1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-17-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddo View Post
Thanks for asking. I had to issues 100 rounds back with light primer strikes I resolved to be ammo related. At that time I had two other small issues one of which "seems" to have cleared up with cleaning and lube. The other issue with a little trigger grit I'm hoping works out with some use. I'm way behind the round count others have here as I barely have 500 rounds in her.

Another 500 issue free and I'll be jazzed.....
Awesome....I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it and it's running well. Which ammo did you havean issue with?
Old 02-17-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
Awesome....I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it and it's running well. Which ammo did you haven't issue with?
RMS- I'd never buy again and it was an issue in a few striker fired but no other hammer fired which is odd.

The most concerning issue I had to date appeared just once on the last shooting trip. The trigger reset doesn't occur immediately. Higher up in my point someone pointed out it might be a grip safety issue and operator (me that is) error. Last trip it happened once and I was prepared for it. When I checked the safety was fairly engaged.

Not ready to sign it off as good to go yet but soon I hope.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
RMS- I'd never buy again and it was an issue in a few striker fired but no other hammer fired which is odd.

The most concerning issue I had to date appeared just once on the last shooting trip. The trigger reset doesn't occur immediately. Higher up in my point someone pointed out it might be a grip safety issue and operator (me that is) error. Last trip it happened once and I was prepared for it. When I checked the safety was fairly engaged.

Not ready to sign it off as good to go yet but soon I hope.
I know the WTS guns have a different grip safety but I wouldn't think it would be so drastic as to having you alter your grip. Hopefully it will just take a minor adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I'm way behind the round count others have here as I barely have 500 rounds in her.
Come one Squiddo, you're falling behind in the round count! It's time to get outside and run it hard.
I had 600 rounds through mine in the first week! I'm just shy of 3,500 rounds in mine since taking delivery in late November.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:07 AM

Lol man!! I know, but my other guns get lonely....
Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I know the WTS guns have a different grip safety but I wouldn't think it would be so drastic as to having you alter your grip. Hopefully it will just take a minor adjustment.

The grip safety difference is minimal at best. I honestly did not notice a difference until someone made reference to it.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5MC View Post
The grip safety difference is minimal at best. I honestly did not notice a difference until someone made reference to it.
I swear I have seen some with the knuckle mod and some without.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 PM

Would most of you guys say they too finicky? or are they reliable?

Last edited by KBar666; 02-18-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangSwitch View Post
Come one Squiddo, you're falling behind in the round count! It's time to get outside and run it hard.
I had 600 rounds through mine in the first week! I'm just shy of 3,500 rounds in mine since taking delivery in late November.
That's a lot of rounds! I'm going to have to learn how to reload to keep up with that. Haha!
Old 02-18-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBar666 View Post
Would most of you guys say they too finicky? or are they reliable?
I will sum it up and say that mine was not 100% reliable out of the box. Your mileage my vary. I experienced some break in pains with weak extraction, finding a 10-round magazine that it liked and ammo preference. That said, a WTS 9mm 1911 is subject to all the same big reliability issues that any 1911 faces - namely (1) magazines (2) extraction and (3) ammo

The factory 9-round magazines work great.
For my purposes though, I was determined to find five reliable 10-round magazine to use in competition. I could have saved myself a lot of headache and money by just buying more factory 9-round mags.

I also caused some self induced pain by trying to feed my gun some truncated nose ammo that it just doesn't like. Those round cause a few feedway stoppages. Normal people would have just stopped using that ammo. ...but no, I had 1,000+ rounds of the stuff and insisted on using it up.

During my break in period. I ran into weak extraction problems. Springfield took care of me though and made it right.

Getting *any* production 1911 "reliable" takes time and money. We've all heard how running a box or two of WalMart ammo through any gun isn't sufficient to consider it reliable. I put 1,000 rounds of several different types of ammo through mine during my break in period. YMMV.

Traditional .45acp 1911's just like 9mm variants, have ammo preferences. Some guns have a real problem feeding hollow points. That's why experts always recommend running a few boxes of your favorite carry ammo through your gun before trusting your life to it.

Traditional .45's also have magazine preferences. A lot of folks leave the factory mags and use aftermarket magazines. Personally, I run Wilson Combat's in all .45acp guns. Some other folks get better reliability with Chip McCormick or Tripp.

Lastly - there's issues of intended use. I dump my magazines in the desert dirt/sand a LOT. Nothing seems to gum up the works faster than shoving a sandy magazine into the mag well. If your gun only sees indoor range work or the occasional shooting clinic, you'll avoid a lot of malfunctions that I encountered.

I seem to use my gun more than a few other WTS owners (I'll never catch Todd G though!) and I run my gear hard. I try different ammo and magazines and I've had different results. So I'm able to rationalize my break in pains as learning experiences. Now that I'm a few thousand rounds into ownership, I know what works for my intended purposes.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:15 PM

Since we're talking about WTS reliability I thought I'd (re)post some detail strip pix. ....'cuz we all like pix right?
When you tear down a WTS and take a close look at the stuff that really matters, you can see that SACS did a nice job with assembly.

Mmmmm - shiny parts!

Close up of the extractor claw profile - looks great

The extractor fit is nice and flush - no clocking. Firing pin stop has a nice profile too.

Hammer hooks look good even if the photography sucks

The edges/geometry on the sear looks good

I double-checked the trigger bow on a stirrup and polished it up because I have a Flitz fetish.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:22 PM

Looks like really nice fitting.. how often have you detail stripped to clean. I ask because it looked immaculate.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
how often have you detail stripped to clean.
I think I've torn it all the way down at least 4 times now.
I field strip and clean it often, but detail stripping takes a little more time. I like to keep it clean and stay on top of the maintenance.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I will sum it up and say that mine was not 100% reliable out of the box. Your mileage my vary. I experienced some break in pains with weak extraction, finding a 10-round magazine that it liked and ammo preference. That said, a WTS 9mm 1911 is subject to all the same big reliability issues that any 1911 faces - namely (1) magazines (2) extraction and (3) ammo

The factory 9-round magazines work great.
For my purposes though, I was determined to find five reliable 10-round magazine to use in competition. I could have saved myself a lot of headache and money by just buying more factory 9-round mags.

I also caused some self induced pain by trying to feed my gun some truncated nose ammo that it just doesn't like. Those round cause a few feedway stoppages. Normal people would have just stopped using that ammo. ...but no, I had 1,000+ rounds of the stuff and insisted on using it up.

During my break in period. I ran into weak extraction problems. Springfield took care of me though and made it right.

Getting *any* production 1911 "reliable" takes time and money. We've all heard how running a box or two of WalMart ammo through any gun isn't sufficient to consider it reliable. I put 1,000 rounds of several different types of ammo through mine during my break in period. YMMV.

Traditional .45acp 1911's just like 9mm variants, have ammo preferences. Some guns have a real problem feeding hollow points. That's why experts always recommend running a few boxes of your favorite carry ammo through your gun before trusting your life to it.

Traditional .45's also have magazine preferences. A lot of folks leave the factory mags and use aftermarket magazines. Personally, I run Wilson Combat's in all .45acp guns. Some other folks get better reliability with Chip McCormick or Tripp.

Lastly - there's issues of intended use. I dump my magazines in the desert dirt/sand a LOT. Nothing seems to gum up the works faster than shoving a sandy magazine into the mag well. If your gun only sees indoor range work or the occasional shooting clinic, you'll avoid a lot of malfunctions that I encountered.

I seem to use my gun more than a few other WTS owners (I'll never catch Todd G though!) and I run my gear hard. I try different ammo and magazines and I've had different results. So I'm able to rationalize my break in pains as learning experiences. Now that I'm a few thousand rounds into ownership, I know what works for my intended purposes.
I, for one, would love to hear what finally worked for you! I feel your pain as far as mags and especially ammo. I went through much of the same growing pains while getting a Springfield Loaded SS 9mm to run as my IDPA gun. I bought a few thousand 147gr flat point lead bullets and never did get them to run 100% despite my every effort!
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:47 PM

True.

truth be told I knew already a lot of what you were saying.

But thank you anyway.

I was trying to get a consensus on if this Warren model seems to run ok more often than not our of the box.

Last edited by KBar666; 02-18-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBar666 View Post
True.
truth be told I knew already a lot of what you were saying.
But thank you anyway.
I was trying to get a consensus on if this Warren model seems to run ok more often than not our of the box.
I didn't mean to come off condescending or anything - just verbose I guess. I'll try to answer your question differently and more succinctly.

Since the WTS pistols are a "limited run" item and built in small batches, there aren't thousands of these in shooters to compare notes with in order to form a consensus. That's why we've been comparing stories here. Considering that my serial number is 060, I think we can infer that the data pool is pretty shallow.

It seems that this last batch of guns had a few more teething pains than prior batches. Is that indicative of the quality you can expect in the next batch?

Last edited by BangSwitch; 02-19-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pistol Pete View Post
I, for one, would love to hear what finally worked for you! I feel your pain as far as mags and especially ammo. I went through much of the same growing pains while getting a Springfield Loaded SS 9mm to run as my IDPA gun. I bought a few thousand 147gr flat point lead bullets and never did get them to run 100% despite my every effort!
There's a couple of steps that helped me solve the problem.
First, I found that the Dawson Precision 10-round magazines (#1-015) fed better than the Wilson Combat magazines. But neither were more reliable in my experience than the factory 9-round magazines, they just work.
The next step forward came when Springfield Armory polished the breech face and added some more extractor tension. That went a long way towards fixing things, but I still wasn't there yet.
The most recent change has been a 14# variable recoil spring. The heavier spring has the ooomph to strip the top round off a fully tensioned 10-round magazine and force those flat nose rounds up the feed ramp. That seems to be the setup that's letting me burn up my inventory of 147gr flat nose rounds.

....but there's no such thing as a free lunch. This setup might be "oversprung" for the less energetic, lower quality 115gr WalMart WWB. (we all know it's cheap and everyone agrees its 'junk' ammo, yet we all own 'em!) I had two double-feeds recently that I think might have been caused by too much spring. I need to swap back to the original 10# spring to validate my hypothesis.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
There's a couple of steps that helped me solve the problem.
First, I found that the Dawson Precision 10-round magazines (#1-015) fed better than the Wilson Combat magazines. But neither were more reliable in my experience than the factory 9-round magazines, they just work.
The next step forward came when Springfield Armory polished the breech face and added some more extractor tension. That went a long way towards fixing things, but I still wasn't there yet.
The most recent change has been a 14# variable recoil spring. The heavier spring has the ooomph to strip the top round off a fully tensioned 10-round magazine and force those flat nose rounds up the feed ramp. That seems to be the setup that's letting me burn up my inventory of 147gr flat nose rounds.

....but there's no such thing as a free lunch. This setup might be "oversprung" for the less energetic, lower quality 115gr WalMart WWB. (we all know it's cheap and everyone agrees its 'junk' ammo, yet we all own 'em!) I had two double-feeds recently that I think might have been caused by too much spring. I need to swap back to the original 10# spring to validate my hypothesis.
Thank you for sharing this information with everyone. I'm trying to get my teething pains out with my RO in order to know what to expect in a few months. Hopefully I can borrow some info and breeze through the issues with both pistols.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:13 AM

My WTS 061 has been 100% when I don't feed it my out of spec hand loads. I have 700 rounds through it so far and plans to out a lot more though it once I get back from overseas.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I didn't mean to come off condescending or anything - just verbose I guess. I'll try to answer your question differently and more succinctly.

Since the WTS pistols are a "limited run" item and built in small batches, there aren't thousands of these in shooters to compare notes with in order to form a consensus. That's why we've been comparing stories here. Considering that my serial number is 060, I think we can infer that the data pool is pretty shallow.

It seems that this last batch of guns had a few more teething pains than prior batches. Is that indicative of the quality you can expect in the next batch?
I see what you mean.

Good point.

Also I didn't mean to insult you/your reply if it sounded like that.

the internet can be confusing at times. lol

Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:55 PM

Does anyone what the recoil spring # is for the 9mm version?
Old 02-19-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wang View Post
Does anyone what the recoil spring # is for the 9mm version?

12# stock. I use this spring for standard loading's as well as my reloads to about 130 power factor. For the hotter stuff like +p or +P+ I use a 14# variable. Thats what works in mine YMMV.

I'm glad to see this thread take off like it is. Allot of useful info.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:31 AM

While Hickok can be a little long winded and has never really met a gun he doesn't like, he did a vid on a Warren Op.

I have not watched it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJoDax3rfE0
Old 02-23-2015, 08:38 PM

Well and there it is. Ran another 100 rounds of factory today and the issue in the reset presented 2 times. Each time I was not able to pull the trigger as it was chambered on the live round. Well, over 700 rounds now and about 2% average presentation of this issue and one I've never seen on another 1911 or any pistol for that matter.

So, looks like I'm calling SA tomorrow. Good thing they have amazing service:-)
Old 02-23-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Well and there it is. Ran another 100 rounds of factory today and the issue in the reset presented 2 times. Each time I was not able to pull the trigger as it was chambered on the live round. Well, over 700 rounds now and about 2% average presentation of this issue and one I've never seen on another 1911 or any pistol for that matter.

So, looks like I'm calling SA tomorrow. Good thing they have amazing service:-)
Hate to hear the issue didn't go away for you. I was hoping you wouldn't have to send it back in. Please let us know what they say about it in case it happens on another one. Tough break man.