Warren Operator Owners Thread - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 02-17-2015, 05:03 PM
TylerD TylerD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddo View Post
Thanks for asking. I had to issues 100 rounds back with light primer strikes I resolved to be ammo related. At that time I had two other small issues one of which "seems" to have cleared up with cleaning and lube. The other issue with a little trigger grit I'm hoping works out with some use. I'm way behind the round count others have here as I barely have 500 rounds in her.

Another 500 issue free and I'll be jazzed.....
Awesome....I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it and it's running well. Which ammo did you havean issue with?
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-17-2015, 05:24 PM
squiddo squiddo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern CA Bay Area
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
Awesome....I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it and it's running well. Which ammo did you haven't issue with?
RMS- I'd never buy again and it was an issue in a few striker fired but no other hammer fired which is odd.

The most concerning issue I had to date appeared just once on the last shooting trip. The trigger reset doesn't occur immediately. Higher up in my point someone pointed out it might be a grip safety issue and operator (me that is) error. Last trip it happened once and I was prepared for it. When I checked the safety was fairly engaged.

Not ready to sign it off as good to go yet but soon I hope.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-17-2015, 08:22 PM
TylerD TylerD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddo View Post
RMS- I'd never buy again and it was an issue in a few striker fired but no other hammer fired which is odd.

The most concerning issue I had to date appeared just once on the last shooting trip. The trigger reset doesn't occur immediately. Higher up in my point someone pointed out it might be a grip safety issue and operator (me that is) error. Last trip it happened once and I was prepared for it. When I checked the safety was fairly engaged.

Not ready to sign it off as good to go yet but soon I hope.
I know the WTS guns have a different grip safety but I wouldn't think it would be so drastic as to having you alter your grip. Hopefully it will just take a minor adjustment.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #54  
Old 02-18-2015, 10:03 AM
BangSwitch BangSwitch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddo View Post
I'm way behind the round count others have here as I barely have 500 rounds in her.
Come one Squiddo, you're falling behind in the round count! It's time to get outside and run it hard.
I had 600 rounds through mine in the first week! I'm just shy of 3,500 rounds in mine since taking delivery in late November.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-18-2015, 10:07 AM
squiddo squiddo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern CA Bay Area
Posts: 495
Lol man!! I know, but my other guns get lonely....
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 AM
E5MC E5MC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
I know the WTS guns have a different grip safety but I wouldn't think it would be so drastic as to having you alter your grip. Hopefully it will just take a minor adjustment.

The grip safety difference is minimal at best. I honestly did not notice a difference until someone made reference to it.
__________________
"Every man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H.L Mencken
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 AM
rushca01 rushca01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by E5MC View Post
The grip safety difference is minimal at best. I honestly did not notice a difference until someone made reference to it.
I swear I have seen some with the knuckle mod and some without.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 PM
KBar666 KBar666 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 700
Would most of you guys say they too finicky? or are they reliable?

Last edited by KBar666; 02-18-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-18-2015, 01:31 PM
TylerD TylerD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangSwitch View Post
Come one Squiddo, you're falling behind in the round count! It's time to get outside and run it hard.
I had 600 rounds through mine in the first week! I'm just shy of 3,500 rounds in mine since taking delivery in late November.
That's a lot of rounds! I'm going to have to learn how to reload to keep up with that. Haha!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-18-2015, 02:05 PM
BangSwitch BangSwitch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBar666 View Post
Would most of you guys say they too finicky? or are they reliable?
I will sum it up and say that mine was not 100% reliable out of the box. Your mileage my vary. I experienced some break in pains with weak extraction, finding a 10-round magazine that it liked and ammo preference. That said, a WTS 9mm 1911 is subject to all the same big reliability issues that any 1911 faces - namely (1) magazines (2) extraction and (3) ammo

The factory 9-round magazines work great.
For my purposes though, I was determined to find five reliable 10-round magazine to use in competition. I could have saved myself a lot of headache and money by just buying more factory 9-round mags.

I also caused some self induced pain by trying to feed my gun some truncated nose ammo that it just doesn't like. Those round cause a few feedway stoppages. Normal people would have just stopped using that ammo. ...but no, I had 1,000+ rounds of the stuff and insisted on using it up.

During my break in period. I ran into weak extraction problems. Springfield took care of me though and made it right.

Getting *any* production 1911 "reliable" takes time and money. We've all heard how running a box or two of WalMart ammo through any gun isn't sufficient to consider it reliable. I put 1,000 rounds of several different types of ammo through mine during my break in period. YMMV.

Traditional .45acp 1911's just like 9mm variants, have ammo preferences. Some guns have a real problem feeding hollow points. That's why experts always recommend running a few boxes of your favorite carry ammo through your gun before trusting your life to it.

Traditional .45's also have magazine preferences. A lot of folks leave the factory mags and use aftermarket magazines. Personally, I run Wilson Combat's in all .45acp guns. Some other folks get better reliability with Chip McCormick or Tripp.

Lastly - there's issues of intended use. I dump my magazines in the desert dirt/sand a LOT. Nothing seems to gum up the works faster than shoving a sandy magazine into the mag well. If your gun only sees indoor range work or the occasional shooting clinic, you'll avoid a lot of malfunctions that I encountered.

I seem to use my gun more than a few other WTS owners (I'll never catch Todd G though!) and I run my gear hard. I try different ammo and magazines and I've had different results. So I'm able to rationalize my break in pains as learning experiences. Now that I'm a few thousand rounds into ownership, I know what works for my intended purposes.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 02-18-2015, 02:15 PM
BangSwitch BangSwitch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 212
Since we're talking about WTS reliability I thought I'd (re)post some detail strip pix. ....'cuz we all like pix right?
When you tear down a WTS and take a close look at the stuff that really matters, you can see that SACS did a nice job with assembly.

Mmmmm - shiny parts!


Close up of the extractor claw profile - looks great


The extractor fit is nice and flush - no clocking. Firing pin stop has a nice profile too.


Hammer hooks look good even if the photography sucks


The edges/geometry on the sear looks good


I double-checked the trigger bow on a stirrup and polished it up because I have a Flitz fetish.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 02-18-2015, 04:22 PM
TylerD TylerD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 874
Looks like really nice fitting.. how often have you detail stripped to clean. I ask because it looked immaculate.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 02-18-2015, 04:33 PM
BangSwitch BangSwitch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
how often have you detail stripped to clean.
I think I've torn it all the way down at least 4 times now.
I field strip and clean it often, but detail stripping takes a little more time. I like to keep it clean and stay on top of the maintenance.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 02-18-2015, 10:07 PM
The Pistol Pete The Pistol Pete is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangSwitch View Post
I will sum it up and say that mine was not 100% reliable out of the box. Your mileage my vary. I experienced some break in pains with weak extraction, finding a 10-round magazine that it liked and ammo preference. That said, a WTS 9mm 1911 is subject to all the same big reliability issues that any 1911 faces - namely (1) magazines (2) extraction and (3) ammo

The factory 9-round magazines work great.
For my purposes though, I was determined to find five reliable 10-round magazine to use in competition. I could have saved myself a lot of headache and money by just buying more factory 9-round mags.

I also caused some self induced pain by trying to feed my gun some truncated nose ammo that it just doesn't like. Those round cause a few feedway stoppages. Normal people would have just stopped using that ammo. ...but no, I had 1,000+ rounds of the stuff and insisted on using it up.

During my break in period. I ran into weak extraction problems. Springfield took care of me though and made it right.

Getting *any* production 1911 "reliable" takes time and money. We've all heard how running a box or two of WalMart ammo through any gun isn't sufficient to consider it reliable. I put 1,000 rounds of several different types of ammo through mine during my break in period. YMMV.

Traditional .45acp 1911's just like 9mm variants, have ammo preferences. Some guns have a real problem feeding hollow points. That's why experts always recommend running a few boxes of your favorite carry ammo through your gun before trusting your life to it.

Traditional .45's also have magazine preferences. A lot of folks leave the factory mags and use aftermarket magazines. Personally, I run Wilson Combat's in all .45acp guns. Some other folks get better reliability with Chip McCormick or Tripp.

Lastly - there's issues of intended use. I dump my magazines in the desert dirt/sand a LOT. Nothing seems to gum up the works faster than shoving a sandy magazine into the mag well. If your gun only sees indoor range work or the occasional shooting clinic, you'll avoid a lot of malfunctions that I encountered.

I seem to use my gun more than a few other WTS owners (I'll never catch Todd G though!) and I run my gear hard. I try different ammo and magazines and I've had different results. So I'm able to rationalize my break in pains as learning experiences. Now that I'm a few thousand rounds into ownership, I know what works for my intended purposes.
I, for one, would love to hear what finally worked for you! I feel your pain as far as mags and especially ammo. I went through much of the same growing pains while getting a Springfield Loaded SS 9mm to run as my IDPA gun. I bought a few thousand 147gr flat point lead bullets and never did get them to run 100% despite my every effort!
__________________
God grant me the serenity
to accept the people I cannot shoot,
courage to shoot the people I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 02-18-2015, 10:47 PM
KBar666 KBar666 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 700
True.

truth be told I knew already a lot of what you were saying.

But thank you anyway.


I was trying to get a consensus on if this Warren model seems to run ok more often than not our of the box.

Last edited by KBar666; 02-18-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-18-2015, 11:39 PM
BangSwitch BangSwitch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBar666 View Post
True.
truth be told I knew already a lot of what you were saying.
But thank you anyway.
I was trying to get a consensus on if this Warren model seems to run ok more often than not our of the box.
I didn't mean to come off condescending or anything - just verbose I guess. I'll try to answer your question differently and more succinctly.

Since the WTS pistols are a "limited run" item and built in small batches, there aren't thousands of these in shooters to compare notes with in order to form a consensus. That's why we've been comparing stories here. Considering that my serial number is 060, I think we can infer that the data pool is pretty shallow.

It seems that this last batch of guns had a few more teething pains than prior batches. Is that indicative of the quality you can expect in the next batch?

Last edited by BangSwitch; 02-19-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02-19-2015, 12:16 AM
BangSwitch BangSwitch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pistol Pete View Post
I, for one, would love to hear what finally worked for you! I feel your pain as far as mags and especially ammo. I went through much of the same growing pains while getting a Springfield Loaded SS 9mm to run as my IDPA gun. I bought a few thousand 147gr flat point lead bullets and never did get them to run 100% despite my every effort!
There's a couple of steps that helped me solve the problem.
First, I found that the Dawson Precision 10-round magazines (#1-015) fed better than the Wilson Combat magazines. But neither were more reliable in my experience than the factory 9-round magazines, they just work.
The next step forward came when Springfield Armory polished the breech face and added some more extractor tension. That went a long way towards fixing things, but I still wasn't there yet.
The most recent change has been a 14# variable recoil spring. The heavier spring has the ooomph to strip the top round off a fully tensioned 10-round magazine and force those flat nose rounds up the feed ramp. That seems to be the setup that's letting me burn up my inventory of 147gr flat nose rounds.

....but there's no such thing as a free lunch. This setup might be "oversprung" for the less energetic, lower quality 115gr WalMart WWB. (we all know it's cheap and everyone agrees its 'junk' ammo, yet we all own 'em!) I had two double-feeds recently that I think might have been caused by too much spring. I need to swap back to the original 10# spring to validate my hypothesis.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-19-2015, 12:27 AM
TylerD TylerD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangSwitch View Post
There's a couple of steps that helped me solve the problem.
First, I found that the Dawson Precision 10-round magazines (#1-015) fed better than the Wilson Combat magazines. But neither were more reliable in my experience than the factory 9-round magazines, they just work.
The next step forward came when Springfield Armory polished the breech face and added some more extractor tension. That went a long way towards fixing things, but I still wasn't there yet.
The most recent change has been a 14# variable recoil spring. The heavier spring has the ooomph to strip the top round off a fully tensioned 10-round magazine and force those flat nose rounds up the feed ramp. That seems to be the setup that's letting me burn up my inventory of 147gr flat nose rounds.

....but there's no such thing as a free lunch. This setup might be "oversprung" for the less energetic, lower quality 115gr WalMart WWB. (we all know it's cheap and everyone agrees its 'junk' ammo, yet we all own 'em!) I had two double-feeds recently that I think might have been caused by too much spring. I need to swap back to the original 10# spring to validate my hypothesis.
Thank you for sharing this information with everyone. I'm trying to get my teething pains out with my RO in order to know what to expect in a few months. Hopefully I can borrow some info and breeze through the issues with both pistols.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02-19-2015, 03:13 AM
JackRydden224 JackRydden224 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 121
My WTS 061 has been 100% when I don't feed it my out of spec hand loads. I have 700 rounds through it so far and plans to out a lot more though it once I get back from overseas.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02-19-2015, 11:27 AM
KBar666 KBar666 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangSwitch View Post
I didn't mean to come off condescending or anything - just verbose I guess. I'll try to answer your question differently and more succinctly.

Since the WTS pistols are a "limited run" item and built in small batches, there aren't thousands of these in shooters to compare notes with in order to form a consensus. That's why we've been comparing stories here. Considering that my serial number is 060, I think we can infer that the data pool is pretty shallow.

It seems that this last batch of guns had a few more teething pains than prior batches. Is that indicative of the quality you can expect in the next batch?
I see what you mean.

Good point.

Also I didn't mean to insult you/your reply if it sounded like that.

the internet can be confusing at times. lol

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 02-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Dan Wang Dan Wang is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 70
Does anyone what the recoil spring # is for the 9mm version?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02-19-2015, 04:35 PM
E5MC E5MC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wang View Post
Does anyone what the recoil spring # is for the 9mm version?

12# stock. I use this spring for standard loading's as well as my reloads to about 130 power factor. For the hotter stuff like +p or +P+ I use a 14# variable. Thats what works in mine YMMV.

I'm glad to see this thread take off like it is. Allot of useful info.
__________________
"Every man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H.L Mencken
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 02-23-2015, 10:31 AM
bad2006z71 bad2006z71 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 1,627
While Hickok can be a little long winded and has never really met a gun he doesn't like, he did a vid on a Warren Op.

I have not watched it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJoDax3rfE0
__________________
Les Baer: Ultimate Tactical Carry 9mm, SRP
Dan Wesson: Valor 9mm
Springfield Armory: Custom Carry 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02-23-2015, 08:38 PM
squiddo squiddo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern CA Bay Area
Posts: 495
Well and there it is. Ran another 100 rounds of factory today and the issue in the reset presented 2 times. Each time I was not able to pull the trigger as it was chambered on the live round. Well, over 700 rounds now and about 2% average presentation of this issue and one I've never seen on another 1911 or any pistol for that matter.

So, looks like I'm calling SA tomorrow. Good thing they have amazing service:-)
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 02-23-2015, 08:57 PM
TylerD TylerD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddo View Post
Well and there it is. Ran another 100 rounds of factory today and the issue in the reset presented 2 times. Each time I was not able to pull the trigger as it was chambered on the live round. Well, over 700 rounds now and about 2% average presentation of this issue and one I've never seen on another 1911 or any pistol for that matter.

So, looks like I'm calling SA tomorrow. Good thing they have amazing service:-)
Hate to hear the issue didn't go away for you. I was hoping you wouldn't have to send it back in. Please let us know what they say about it in case it happens on another one. Tough break man.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved