Warren Operator Owners Thread - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-25-2015, 03:05 AM

In my opinion the fact that you had to "settle" on a 14# variable recoil spring is pretty sad! For the money spent the springs should be right and one should not have to settle on fixing a high dollar "WARREN TACTICAL". I am pretty sure the FBI didn't settle on a gun that didn't function without settling after the fact on a Professional even though a slight retail cost difference
Old 01-25-2015, 04:14 AM

I'm happy with mine. Reliable, accurate and a good trigger. Shoots a little low with 115gr. ammo is my only complaint and I suspect it was set up to run 147gr.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1recluse View Post
In my opinion the fact that you had to "settle" on a 14# variable recoil spring is pretty sad! For the money spent the springs should be right and one should not have to settle on fixing a high dollar "WARREN TACTICAL". I am pretty sure the FBI didn't settle on a gun that didn't function without settling after the fact on a Professional even though a slight retail cost difference
My factory spring works great for standard loadings. If you read ToddG's endurance testing of these pistols you will notice the bulk of the ammo he shot was pretty hot stuff thus requiring a 14# variable recoil spring for added reliability. When shooting the CCI/Speer Lawman ammo or any +p or +p+ ammo I swap in a 14# variable as well.
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback and I'll have to check on the safety but it's unlikely. This is my 7th 1911 but my first in 9mm. Mags could be an issue but it stumps me.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:13 PM

E5MC. I missed the fact of the +P or +P+ was used. I will read ToddG's endurance test. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5MC View Post
If you read ToddG's endurance testing of these pistols you will notice the bulk of the ammo he shot was pretty hot stuff thus requiring a 14# variable recoil spring for added reliability.
More to the point, I'd imagine, were the thousands of rounds between cleaning and oiling the gun that probably made the more powerful spring handy.
Sun Tzu
Old 02-01-2015, 12:56 PM

I'm at 700 rounds without a failure. I do not count slide not locking back after the last round because I know it's due to my own wimpy loads. Every time I shoot the gun I like it more and more. Next month I'm going to order 2 Dawson and 2 Tripp 10 rounders to test them out. So far I've used nothing but the two mags that came with the gun.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:56 PM

I put another 300 rounds down range through WTS063 today.myself today. AE 147gr flat point, WW 115gr and and assortment of hollow points. Waiting on WTS052 to get back from the smiff. No issues as I still have not shot it yet. Having the complete gun finished in satin black. Then like a dumbass I stopped by the LGS and found a used stainless TRP for $800. Wife is gonna use it on me since the Warren is only a 9MM.

Last edited by E5MC; 02-01-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:51 AM

I finally got a new holster for my WTS. I liked the custom holster that Armordillo Concealment built for my threaded barrel Sig TacOps with a light. So they were my first choice when I needed a kydex holster for a railed 1911.

(Before this holster arrived I used my Sig's holster at steel and USPSA matches. I looked kinda silly running a light during a match, but that's the only way I could holster the gun! )

It's nice and slim

The fit is very good and the tension is adjustable. It's snug - heavy holster wear in 3..2..1..

Ready to hit the range!
Old 02-14-2015, 11:57 AM

Could anyone tell me what ambi thumb safety is used on te Warren? Its just slightly wider than the ambi on my Pro and it works alot better for me.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:05 PM

Wish I could help you. Are you sure it is not a Springfield part. They look exactly like the Baer safety to me. The thumb safety's were quickly replaced on my Warrens with a Wilson BP single side thumb safety. The Springfield and Baer thumb safety's pinch the crap out of my support hand. Looking at the Brownells 1911 parts catalog it appears the Baer safety is a little wider on the left hand side so you could trim and profile it to your liking.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:55 AM

Old 02-15-2015, 08:14 AM

Finally able to post pic's of my Warren Operators with an assist from BangSwitch. Thanks You Sir. As you can see I didn't particularly care for the mixture of black parts on the green frame. I had my guy at Southridge Arms coat the frames/parts of the pistols with KG Gunkote. The all black pistol remains unfired until I decide what I want to do with it. I may have SACS fit a 38Super barrel to it, or I may sell or trade it. The green/black pistol remains 100% reliable minus 1 round from the first or second factory mag through it. Both Wilson and Tripp mags have been good to go for me. I also had the ambi thumb safety's replaced with Wilson BP single side thumb safety's.

Last edited by E5MC; 02-15-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:37 PM

Nice video by Hickok45-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJoDax3rfE0
Old 02-16-2015, 08:01 PM

Cool video. The Warren made a good showing of itself, I didn't notice any stoppages. Hickock obviously hasn't spent much time in the 1911 arena as evidenced by getting wrapped around the axle about the 2K price of admission. I feel mine were a bargain, it would take allot more than that to pry mine away from me. My rails will never see a light either but the extra weight in addition to the extra weight of a 9MM barrel is what make these pistols so easy to shoot fast and accurately. Or accurately fast. I must say however that I have backyard envy.

Last edited by E5MC; 02-16-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Cool video. The Warren made a good showing of itself, I didn't notice any stoppages. Hickock obviously hasn't spent much time in the 1911 arena as evidenced by getting wrapped around the axle about the 2K price of admission. I feel mine were a bargain, it would take allot more than that to pry mine away from me. My rails will never see a light either but the extra weight in addition to the extra weight of a 9MM barrel is what make these pistols so easy to shoot fast and accurately. Or accurately fast. I must say however that I have backyard envy.

Actually he has been around plenty of 1911s...I;ve seen many of his videos on 1911s and such, he routinely brings up custom/semi custom guns and their prices...but he also does this of other pricey guns.

He just hangs up on price a lot as I guess for his personal guns hes happy with most stock production guns.

But he makes great vids anyway...but yeah the trend is that that he usually does bring the cost numerous times.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:23 PM

I thought his video review was well done. Its too bad his reviews never get into dissembling a gun. Once you take it apart and start examining things you get a greater appreciation of what "semi custom" buys you.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:45 PM

Do the WTS guns have the ILS mainspring set up?
Old 02-17-2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
Do the WTS guns have the ILS mainspring set up?
No, they have a S&A mag well fitted and those don't have the ILS.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:12 AM

Thanks sir. I wasn't sure, but I was hoping it didn't have it. Anxiously awaiting April/May when the batch mine is in is completed.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:53 AM

Thanks for sharing the video .
Old 02-17-2015, 02:34 PM

Location: St. Louis to Fort McClellan to Fort Lewis and stayed in the Evergreen State
Quote:

Finally able to post pic's of my Warren Operators with an assist from BangSwitch. Thanks You Sir. As you can see I didn't particularly care for the mixture of black parts on the green frame. I had my guy at Southridge Arms coat the frames/parts of the pistols with KG Gunkote. The all black pistol remains unfired until I decide what I want to do with it. I may have SACS fit a 38Super barrel to it, or I may sell or trade it. The green/black pistol remains 100% reliable minus 1 round from the first or second factory mag through it. Both Wilson and Tripp mags have been good to go for me. I also had the ambi thumb safety's replaced with Wilson BP single side thumb safety's.
Now that's sexy
Old 02-17-2015, 02:50 PM

nice pair of guns you have there.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddo View Post
nice pair of guns you have there.
How is your WTS running squiddo?
Old 02-17-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
How is your WTS running squiddo?

Thanks for asking. I had to issues 100 rounds back with light primer strikes I resolved to be ammo related. At that time I had two other small issues one of which "seems" to have cleared up with cleaning and lube. The other issue with a little trigger grit I'm hoping works out with some use. I'm way behind the round count others have here as I barely have 500 rounds in her.

Another 500 issue free and I'll be jazzed.....