Warren Operator Owners Thread - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-28-2014, 01:12 PM

Warren Operator Owners Thread

I would think that the pistols from the latest batch have been received by their new owners by now. I was thinking we could probably use this thread for all things Warren. I am personally Fred Flintstone when it comes to anything computers or I would do this myself. Maybe one of the more savvy members could combine pertinent posts and pics from previous threads to make our own WTS thread. Probably not enough pistols out there to have our own "Sticky" but I thought it might be a good idea for us to have a place to go and find issues, fix's, peculiarities, or other info that might be helpful to the rest of us.

I picked up WTS063 right after Thanksgiving of this year. The pistol now has over 600 trouble free rounds through her. The only issue I have had to date is a failure to feed on the 2nd or 3rd mag on the inaugural range visit. This was with a factory supplied 9 round mag. I have fired a pretty good mix of ammo thought the pistol with the majority of it being 124gr FMJ. I did notice the pistol was a little sluggish with AE 147gr. It almost felt like I was waiting on the slide to finish cycling but she never missed a beat. I have since taken the pistol to the local CeraCoat guy and had the complete lower coated in OD green. I don't care for the small parts being coated in black. I will try to figure out how to get the pic's from my wife's camera to this thread.

Last week just before Christmas I purchased WTS052. This pistol remains unfired for now. I did however field strip and inspect the pistol before taking delivery. I did not notice anything as far as fit or finish to cause me any alarm. I will also try and post pic's of this Warren shortly. If I decide the keep this pistol my intentions are to have a 38Super barrel fit and coat the frame and parts either all green again or possibly all black.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:08 PM

Serial WTS-060, November 2014

I took delivery of WTS-00 in November and had a few break in issues to resolve. Out of the box, I had some real problems getting my gun to feed from Wilson Combat 10-round magazines (this thread) At 1,000 rounds - I wound up sending the gun back to Springfield Armory where they polished the breech face and tuned the extractor. While waiting for the gun to come back from SA, I returned my Wilson Combat magazines and switched to Dawson Precision magazines. (this thread) Between the tuned extractor, polished breech face and new magazines - my feeding problems disappeared.

Unfortunately, my extractor loosened up again over the next ~600 rounds and had to go back to Springfield Armory again. The extractor lost tension and would drop an "unsupported" round. (this thread) I expect to get the gun back around the first of the year.

The break in issues I've experienced suck, but I'm not bitter about it. Springfield has done a great job taking care of me. I expected that a 9mm 1911 would likely need a little more tuning than a traditional .45

Teething pains aside, I am impressed with "the stuff that matters". The internals components looked great. I was pleased with the trigger pull and break. I took a look at the hammer, sear and disconnector with a jewelers loop and they are finished very well. Slide-to-frame fit is very good, better than most production guns. Lockup is solid and the fit of the barrel & bushing is very good. The thumb safety is just about perfect - it has the right amount of tension and snicks on/off with authority without being too loose or too tight - IMO it's just right.

I swapped out the stock grips for a set of Dirty Olive VZ Recon grips with a "super scoop". After knocking down some of the sharper edges, these grips suit my needs perfectly. I keep a Surefire X300 Ultra light on the gun too.

A day on the range banging steel plates

The Warren Tactical sights are great - I really like the fiber optic front post. ....despite the great sights, I still have a tendency to drive the nose of the gun down coming out of the holster.

Last edited by BangSwitch; 12-28-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangSwitch View Post

The Warren Tactical sights are great - I really like the fiber optic front post. ....despite the great sights, I still have a tendency to drive the nose of the gun down coming out of the holster.

If you are right handed and hold the pistol with both hands while driving out
from center chest . Rotate your left hand forward and down a little more .
It will bring your left wrist and front sight up .

Sounds like your having fun . Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1911 View Post
If you are right handed and hold the pistol with both hands while driving out from center chest . Rotate your left hand forward and down a little more .
It will bring your left wrist and front sight up.
Not to derail E5MC's thread, but your advice is spot on Billy1911!
Sometimes when I dry-fire, I break the shot then pause to exam my grip. Time & time again, I find my thumb riding the slide. So, I recently put a piece of skater tape on the left side of my frame to "train" my thumb. The rough texture of the skater tape should let my hand figure out where it's supposed to be and hopefully I'll develop the muscle memory to instinctively improve my grip.
Good advice - thank you!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:15 AM

There's already a thread on these here.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=470102

But here's my post on mine for anyone that might have missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pistol Pete View Post
Here's mine. Springfield Custom Warren Tactical 9mm Operator with 10-8 flat trigger and 10-8 Dirty Olive grips.

and the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:42 PM

#26 here... its been pretty trouble free except for my last range session where I had a couple FTRB, a simple tap on the base of the magazine cured them but I wasnt interested in diagnosing the problem as It wasnt my primary sidearm of the day.

I bought this pistol for competitions and training classes and its been excellent for a couple thousand rounds running Wilson ETM Magazines. I'll get to the range in January to see what the deal is and get it back to 100%
Old 01-04-2015, 04:16 PM

Ran another 300 rounds of American Eagle all with Tripp mags. No Issues to report.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:19 AM

My has functioned flawlessly so far. I got the red fiber optic changed out to a green with a bulge so I see much better now. The Warren Tactical sights are great. I'm getting them for my Les Baer TRS.

I will post more about my WTS Operator after I put more rounds though it. I've only shot about 200 rds due to shortage of ammo (my lazy butt not reloading).
Old 01-07-2015, 06:04 PM

Hopefully the next batch will have less problems than the last since members here have done a great job of bringing issues to SA's attention. By the way, word is that the next batch has been pushed back to March or April of this year according to Scott..... I'll keep waiting. Impatiently of course!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:57 PM

Is the Warren Tactical a Custom Shop gun or regular line. I have a Professional without rail and am trying to decide if a Warren or a Professional/Operator is my next Springfield.
Best
Ken
Old 01-09-2015, 09:34 PM

It's a Custom Shop pistol. Quickly becoming my favorite pistol.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1recluse View Post
Is the Warren Tactical a Custom Shop gun or regular line. I have a Professional without rail and am trying to decide if a Warren or a Professional/Operator is my next Springfield.
Best
Ken
Hey Ken,

Scott Warren told me that the guns are built in the custom shop in between other builds.

Hope this help.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:42 PM

Thank You E5MC and CRC, I was a little thrown off by no custom shop logo on the slide. I appreciate your answering my question.
Ken
Old 01-09-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1recluse View Post
The Warren gun is a cross between the standard Springfield guns and the full house SACS guns. The Warren guns use more of the standard Springfield parts (the frame, slide, and barrel in particular) rather than SACS parts.

SACS fits & tunes the Warren guns to a significantly higher level than the regular factory guns (or at least they're supposed to, some of the current complaints suggesting otherwise at times).

The Warren guns cost about 25-30% less than a 9mm Professional and the wait time is significantly shorter. The Warren gun comes as-is while you can obviously customize your Pro order if you want.
Sun Tzu
Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 PM

I ran another 200 rounds through the WTS Operator this past Saturday with no issues. The gun is accurate. I can punch out a 3" shoot and see sticky at 10 yards consistently which is the extend of my skills at this point. The rounds ejected fine every time. My only gripe is that the magazine only holds 9 so the pleasure of it gets cut short fairly quickly

So far I'm at zero failures. My reloads getting stuck in the chamber because they weren't sized correctly does not count
Old 01-13-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangSwitch View Post
Not to derail E5MC's thread, but your advice is spot on Billy1911!
Sometimes when I dry-fire, I break the shot then pause to exam my grip. Time & time again, I find my thumb riding the slide. So, I recently put a piece of skater tape on the left side of my frame to "train" my thumb. The rough texture of the skater tape should let my hand figure out where it's supposed to be and hopefully I'll develop the muscle memory to instinctively improve my grip.
Good advice - thank you!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress.

Glad this advice helped you out , but it seems as if you figured it out on
your own . Dry firing is a great way to train and hone in your trigger and
hold skills . I really like skater tape . I run it under the trigger guard as well .
Have fun
Old 01-21-2015, 01:25 AM

I'm at 500 rounds right now with no failure.

I'm bound to change the safety to a strong side only and paint the gun a different color.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 AM

I'm with you on the thumb safety and paint scheme. Both of mine have been fitted with Wilson "BP" single sided thumb safety's. My first pistol has an all green frame and parts. My newer still unfired pistol is in the shop right now being coated in all black. Still have yet to have another stoppage since the inaugural voyage with a supplied mag. Since the first trip to the range WTS063 has functioned flawlessly with either a supplied mag, Wilson or Tripp.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:19 AM

Great updates!
My gun (WTS060) is back from Springfield and running well. I've put another 300 rounds through it, bring my total round count to just over 1,800 now.
I ran a steel match with it last week and managed to really screw myself over by riding the slide with my thumb on one stage. One I cleared the malfunction in my head, the gun ran just fine.
There's another steel match coming up in a few days. I hope to hit the range and get a little practice in before then.

Here's a pix of my fat ass shooting my WTS at last weeks match.

Last edited by BangSwitch; 01-21-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:30 AM

Your ass doesn't look fat to me.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:34 PM

I'm running at about 500 rounds now and running into two issues:

1. Rounds are nose diving on occasion and catchup the feed ramp. It's inconwistent between the warren mags and brand new WC ETMs. Not sure of this will improve.

2. This one is more alarming and I've never run into it on any of my 1911's included during and after the break in. Immediately after a round is fired the slide cycles the next round, hammer is cocked but the trigger doesn't inmedialty reset. That is you can feel the lack of positive reset through the finger and if you pull it won't fire. Sometimes tapping the side of the slide causes the audible click and the gun becomes again fire able.

Anyone have either of those issues?

Aside from those two the trigger feels a tad heavier than my others and a small disernable catching happened immediately before the break.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:28 PM

As for the rounds catching on the feed ramp I would suspect a stronger recoil spring may cure this. It is certainly where I would start. I would start with the center spring leg of the sear spring in regards to reset. That being said, I am a tinkerer not a pistol smith.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:36 PM

Squiddo,

It is my opinion that the Warren Tactical is far to expensive of a gun, (especially in California) to have to troubleshoot it after arrival. I know your a high end purchaser of many and the fact that manufactures like "Springfield" have great customer service the customer service should start before the gun leaves the facility to customer. Just saying. "The Pistol Smiths are at Springfield and Other manufactures". I get it that a GI other entry level gun is not going to be perfect, but a top of the line fire arm with these issues I find unsettling. YMMV
Old 01-24-2015, 09:37 PM

Yep I'm feeling like I'll run another 100 and then call. My experience with them on 4 other pistols I've sent in for add ons is that if you call, they take of you. I'm hoping it will work out without me having to be a pita
Old 01-24-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddo View Post
1. Rounds are nose diving on occasion and catchup the feed ramp. It's inconwistent between the warren mags and brand new WC ETMs. Not sure of this will improve.
This is an issue that the Wilson mags can cause, especially when the slide is cycled manually. Once I settled on a 14# variable recoil spring that problem went away completely for me.

Quote:
2. This one is more alarming and I've never run into it on any of my 1911's included during and after the break in. Immediately after a round is fired the slide cycles the next round, hammer is cocked but the trigger doesn't inmedialty reset. That is you can feel the lack of positive reset through the finger and if you pull it won't fire. Sometimes tapping the side of the slide causes the audible click and the gun becomes again fire able.
Any chance you may be failing to keep the grip safety engaged?

Otherwise, it could be that the gun is slightly out of battery which might again be solved with a heavier recoil spring.
Sun Tzu